SCSInet's 180g Reef Build!

scsinet

Lights and Pipes
Now that the tank is in place, it was time to start on hooking back up all the pipes.
For some reason, one of the connections that fit perfectly down in the garage was not fitting this time. So I had to do some changing around to fix it.
So here I am, pissed, trying to get it fixed.

The bulkheads and tank connections...

I built the dursos so they could be broken down. The couplings on the standpipes were used to keep the "T" of the Durso from settling down on the pipe and making it hard to remove. This made taking the top off the durso for cleaning very simple.

Next, I moved to electrical.
Until I could get the whole controller system running, I mounted a power strip so that I could just get everything going for now.

It fit right between the return and drain lines.

scsinet

I cut the plug short and fitted a plug so the cord was just the right length. I hate having 400 extra feet of wire all snarled up.

Next, I mounted some halogen under-cabinet lights in the stand so it would be easy to work underneath, even at night, so I wouldn't have to light up the whole room and disturb the tank if something needed maintenance at night.

Back to plumbing, I mounted the reactors. I decided to change the way they were fed from the main loop, so I installed those new pipes at this time.
If you go from the far back, you see a union sitting at a 45 degree angle. From that fitting, coming towards the foreground:
- Skimmer
- Chiller
- Main Pump
- CA Reactor / Kalk Reactor / Denitrator (the last two are future upgrades...)
- Reactors
- The pipe going upwards above the red main pump valve is the feed to the tank.

THe main pump went in next.

Okay that's it for now. Before I finished the install below, I switched my attention to the rockwork in the tank, as there was some fabrication I had to do for that. That's the next update.

scsinet

Originally Posted by will16
http:///forum/post/2506763
Amazing build and amazing thread. I thank you for sharing.
I have a question if you don't mind. I am in the process of a build for a 90gal. The spot where it will go is on hardwood flooring and it is not perfectly level. I have the same 1/8" drop away from the wall as you got (over 2 feet). The tank is pretty level length wise but what concerns me most is that i have a few high/low spots going length wise. There are a few spots under the frame where there is some space. I can slip a piece of paper under the frame in 2 spots. Would you recommend using wood shims to fill these spots? You were not concerned with the 1/8 drop and left it? Would it be bad idea to shim every where to get perfect level?
Thanks,
Will
Well gaps under the tank is very bad. You don't want that no matter what you do. It leaves part of the tank unsupported.
When you are dealing with a glass tank, every part of the plastic support frame that is designed to touch the stand needs to be evenly supported.
Putting shims directly between the tank and the stand I'm not sure I'd recommend either, because you will still have an unsupported area on each side of the shim.
What I'd do is cut a piece of plywood to set on the stand, then put the tank on that. Then, shim between the stand and the plywood. That will help make the support more even.

will16

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant the spaces are between the floor and stand. Would it be ok to shim there?
I was planning on doing the same thing that you did between stand and tank. Stand, 1/2 foam, 3/4" plywood, tank. Great idea.
Thanks!

scopus tang

SCSInet, first let me add my compliments to those of the others, on what are, as you are obviously aware, excellent craftsmanship skills, as well as an excellently stocked shop. You are indeed a master craftsmen (again, from one who can appreciate one). But what I'm most impressed with here is what we are constantly talking about on this site. The tremendous amount of patience you are displaying, and desire to get every detail right. You've obviously put lots and lots of time into planning your project, and you are patiently placing the same amount of time in building your project. When you are done, you will have a true labor of love that will be a wonder to behold. I believe it was floridajoe who said, "I tend to side with there never being an end point in this hobby but also in life I am sure many journeys were started never to find and end and never really meant to." Looking forward to continuing to watch your progress and ultimately to seeing the final result.
After all, its not the endpoint alone, but the journey, as well as what we learn along the way!
And, there is a lot to be learned from this thread
Nicely done

scsinet

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2507169
SCSInet, first let me add my compliments to those of the others, on what are, as you are obviously aware, excellent craftsmanship skills, as well as an excellently stocked shop. You are indeed a master craftsmen (again, from one who can appreciate one). But what I'm most impressed with here is what we are constantly talking about on this site. The tremendous amount of patience you are displaying, and desire to get every detail right. You've obviously put lots and lots of time into planning your project, and you are patiently placing the same amount of time in building your project. When you are done, you will have a true labor of love that will be a wonder to behold. I believe it was floridajoe who said, "I tend to side with there never being an end point in this hobby but also in life I am sure many journeys were started never to find and end and never really meant to." Looking forward to continuing to watch your progress and ultimately to seeing the final result.
After all, its not the endpoint alone, but the journey, as well as what we learn along the way!
And, there is a lot to be learned from this thread
Nicely done

Well thank you. I certainly appreciate the compliments of you and others on this thread.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2506793
Lights and Pipes
So here I am, pissed, trying to get it fixed.

Well IBEDAM
!
I feel like I just met Wilson!(the guy over the fence on Tool Time)
I am absolutely SURE
that's the first pic I have ever seen of you! Not at all the scruffy looking "Quint" I imagined! You ever work for Kraft foods? Seem familiar to me.....

scsinet

hahaha.,.. I kind of feel like I have never, ever seen or had a good picture of me. So I avoid posting pics of myself.
If the Kraft foods is a joke, I don't get it. If you are serious, no I have never worked for them.

F

flukes

Look it is SCSInet, in his natural habitat!!!! LOL I think that you should change your avatar and use this pic. This has been an awesome thread!! I have used many of your ideas and designs on my own project, I am sure that there is many people here on the board that wishes that they have done their own setup differently after reading this thread. I was just fortunate enough to be starting my new tank when this thread started. I will be posting pics soon so keep an eye out for it. AWESOME job!!

scsinet

Originally Posted by mckaax
http:///forum/post/2510634
I cant think of his name but your thinking of the guy on Full house.
I hope you mean Dave Coulier and not Bob Saget.
On the other hand... maybe you mean John Stamos. I wouldn't mind being married to Rebecca Romijn.

theappe3

I always pictured you looked like quint for some reason, lol , even though I knew that wasnt you. Nice update though.

scsinet

Thanks!
Just a heads up to all... I've got some more pictures, but I'm busy this weekend and Monday, but I should be able to do an update on Tuesday.