Snake's 75g build thread

snakeblitz33

Been toying around. Got the New RO filters in.
I also put my old stand on Craigslist at 8 this morning and had it gone by 10. I gave away the 20g high I had with it. I was tired of seeing it in the corner of my kitchen. My wife also wanted it gone, so... I was happy to oblige.
The course sand that I put in the tank is staying put! I like it a whole lot better!

lubeck

Seth have you tried to blow it around with your pumps and it still stays put? Kind of test the limits?

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/400#post_3505746
Seth have you tried to blow it around with your pumps and it still stays put? Kind of test the limits?
Eh, not really. I mean, it's staying in place much better than that other sand I was using. No real reason to "test" it out since I didn't move the pumps. In fact, the sand hasn't even "equaled" out yet - it's still in little "piles" from me dumping it out of a cup.

snakeblitz33

update time!

Yes, that's right! I took an hour this afternoon and ripped up some scrap plywood to make a temporary canopy. It's not even painted, but oh well. It's temporary - so it doesn't have to be.
This is a pic of me wiring it all up inside. The reflectors are all screwed down with drywall screws. The halides are in place, but the wiring isn't connected yet and I don't even have bulbs. So, when I get the bulbs in, I'll wire them up too.

snakeblitz33

I had just turned the bulbs on to test to see if I did the wiring correctly before I put it over the aquarium. Apparently, I did something right. Someone let me know if I should put the actinic bulbs on the outside and daylights on the inside... I forgot what the rule of thumb is. Either way, it looks good to me the way it is.

snakeblitz33

Here is the top of the canopy. As you can see, the red wires go to one side, the blue wires go to the other side. The two yellow wires go to one or the other end. So, the red wires go to one set of bulbs and the blue wires go to the other set of bulbs. Pretty simple. The metal halide ballasts are screwed into place where they are going to stay. The wires are already long enough to reach the sockets on the inside of the canopy. Lucked up on that one. :D

snakeblitz33

Plenty of water movement!
As you can see, there is a lot of excess cords from the T5's. The reason is... this is just a temporary canopy. When I build my "real" canopy, I will shorten the wires so that it will have a much cleaner look.

snakeblitz33

Let there be light!
It's a lot brighter than what I had on there. It will be much brighter with the halides that I'll be running 6 hours a day. :D So far, I am very pleased with the work. I just have to buy those DE 150w halide bulbs when I get the chance.
Saving money up for the real canopy build. I did some math and it looks like I'll have to save at least $60 for solid red oak boards to get the rest of the canopy built. Considering something unique with the side cabinet as well. But, so far we have been able to keep my daughter out of the side of the stand without problems.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/400#post_3506279

Let there be light!
It's a lot brighter than what I had on there. It will be much brighter with the halides that I'll be running 6 hours a day. :D So far, I am very pleased with the work. I just have to buy those DE 150w halide bulbs when I get the chance.
Saving money up for the real canopy build. I did some math and it looks like I'll have to save at least $60 for solid red oak boards to get the rest of the canopy built. Considering something unique with the side cabinet as well. But, so far we have been able to keep my daughter out of the side of the stand without problems.
Looks good Seth........You've been able to keep her out this week.....What about next.......

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/400#post_3506418
Looks good Seth........You've been able to keep her out this week.....What about next.......

Yeah, so far I've been able to stay two steps ahead of her. We have child proofed the living room, and so far it's working. I can't wait until she starts banging on the aquarium glass though. lol!!!
So, I went ahead and ordered my bulbs. I went with Odysea brand bulbs. I guess I will go ahead and wire up the sockets to the ballasts and get some power to the ballasts and that way all I will have to do is put the bulbs in when they arrive.
You know what this makes me want to do?!

I might celebrate with some SPS frags. :D

snakeblitz33

As a side note, since I am getting everything setup, and I see some good coralline growing in the tank and on the glass even, I am going to ask... if there is anyone kind enough out there to donate a few frags, I would be eternally grateful and definitely be willing to share with you in the future.

snakeblitz33

So, I bought a few things for the tank this afternoon, I have them acclimating right now:
Six line wrasse - I bought him for pest control - and I like him anyways. I had a six line wrasse in my old 90g and I really enjoyed watching him pop in and out of the rock work.
Unknown acropora - I know it's a species of acro, but it's kinda dark greenish with blue tips. Once it's acclimated I will add it to the tank. It was only $13, and I figure it's a good "starter" to "test the waters" before I go and add a bunch at one time and have them all die because of a chemistry problem. Maybe once I post pics, I'll be able to get a proper ID.
Unknown Montipora - I'm pretty sure it's a purple digitata, but it could also be an undata. I'm not sure until it starts to grow more. In either case, I am putting it in the proper place!
So, that's my swag I picked up this afternoon. :D

S

smallreef

FUN! cant wait for pictures!
we have a new coral/fish place opening tomorrow and cant wait to see their selection!!!!

srt8

Hey Seth,SRT8 here,or Mark,but anyway your comment about Yellow Tangs was interesting because we love our Yellow Tang,attitude and all. He is quite bold at times,even gets a little jealous I think sometimes when I concentrate on attending to another fish. Also him and the black clown both eat out of my fingers.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/400#post_3506855
Hey Seth,SRT8 here,or Mark,but anyway your comment about Yellow Tangs was interesting because we love our Yellow Tang,attitude and all. He is quite bold at times,even gets a little jealous I think sometimes when I concentrate on attending to another fish. Also him and the black clown both eat out of my fingers.
Yeah, I love my yellow tang.
I'll add a powder brown and a fairy wrasse and then I'll be done.

I got a couple powerheads cleaned up this evening with a 50% water 50% vinegar solution. They look much better when they are cleaned up from all the white dead coralline algae. I MIGHT keep them clean when they are encrusted with purple coralline. Who knows. I know clean equipment is more efficient...