Snake's 75g build thread

srt8

Ok, thanks.I hear a lot about powder browns but don't think I've seen one yet,at least that I remember.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/440#post_3507361
Can't wait to see your tank, looks like you have had a few,from large to smaller .
Yeah, I've owned over a hundred and maintained at least 50 while I was in business. I have had my share of tanks over the years.
For some reason, my second to last challenge I feel is a full blown SPS dominated reef tank. After that and when I get more funds, it will be a NPS tank. I feel like having experience in every aspect of the hobby is what makes a person knowledgeable.

srt8

Wow,I can imagine you have experienced a lot of interactions of man and marine,people like you have been so helpful also just by reading some of your past threads.

reefr

its a 4' tank. they get 8". thats a salad plate or small dinner plate swimming in your 75, along with a yellow tang that will reach at least 6" cube.

snakeblitz33

Don't have one yet. I'm on the lookout for one.
REEFR,
I have very rarely ever seen a fully grown powder brown tang reach maturity at 8" in captivity. My lfs has a 7 year old powder brown tang in his 10 year old display tank. I highly doubt that I am doing this great fish an injustice.

snakeblitz33

I'm currently swimming in a sea of camera terminology. LOL!
I am having to cut my lights back to four to six hours per day. The new halide bulbs are just too much for the corals that I currently have - they have to get acclimated to it. Apparently my softies are getting fried. lol

S

siptang

Make sure that you quarantine the crap out of this powder brown because you know that they are one of the biggest ick magnets.

S

siptang

Good luck, you know what I used to do? I used to drop one drop of quick cure in the bag (alot of whole saler acutally do this well) and it will kill alot of unwanted things in the bag.

snakeblitz33

Done it, my friend. XD
I'm still swimming in a sea of cameras and lenses. lol. I have no idea what I am going to buy at the moment. I guess I'll get it all figured out tomorrow. Who knows.
I found a small leak this morning on the tank. I followed the water around the bottom rim of the tank and saw that it was a slow drip from the return line. My locline is dripping onto the top rim of the tank. I temporarily duct taped the pipe to the side of the tank to keep it dripping inside the tank instead of down the side. I'll have to either replace the locline with a tighter fitting one or screw in an adapter and get it further away from the rim of the tank. I don't really know at this point what I will do. I am still kinda kicking myself for not drilling a return hole before I set up the tank. Oh well. I may take the tank down in a few years and do it then - or sell it and start all over again. lol
For some reason my new corals are getting a bit sunburnt. I guess my new halides are to blame. lol. It will all get sorted out pretty soon - just been busy with work and family at the moment. Getting ready to go back to school next week as well.

snakeblitz33

So, I went to the fish store today.
I got a couple of small SPS frags. I love these little frags under $15. They may be brown or not have much color, but since I am testing the waters so to speak, I don't really want to invest in those beautiful $50/frag and $75/frag pieces just yet. Besides, I still have some equipment I want to purchase to get things on the ball.
ALSO, I Talked to the owner of the LFS about the halides sunburning my corals and silly me, I forgot to use the plate glass that blocks massive amounts of UV light from entering the tank. No wonder my corals were frying. lol. So, guess what? He GAVE me...
2x250w metal halide ballasts
3x250w metal halide bulbs
3 sockets
3 reflectors
and 3 glass UV plates.
WOW. He said that one of them is bound not to work, so use the two that does. So now I have the option of upgrading my metal halides to 250w bulbs. heh. I dunno, is that too much light over a 75g? I may just run the halides and not the T5's, or take the two daylight bulbs out of the T5's and finally have a dawn/dusk feature. I dunno.
With the price of electricity right now, does it make more sense to just go ahead and buy a couple of LED fixtures for my tank?