Snake's 75g build thread

snakeblitz33

I'm still kicking myself in the arse. I should have known better to use the glass over the bulbs. UGH!
I have not had much success in the reefkeeping hobby these days. I was getting frustrated and the thought of giving it up kind of crept into my mind over the last few days. I know that my tank could do with some more work, but I am getting frustrated because it seems like I am doing everything right and still not being able to keep SPS corals like I want. The thought to just stick to a mixed reef there for a little while did pass through my mind as well. I guess I am too tenacious though - I keep on going.

gemmy

As far as the 250 watt halides, they will work on the 75. I used them on my 55 and had great success with high light corals. However, I could not keep acans, trachs, chalices or low light corals. All things considered, I would go LED. I am a little biased. :)

reefr

2 250w halides is not too much for a 75g. ive seen it done numerous times, heck, seen 2 400w on a 75g or something like that before.
its up to you on the LEDs. they are expensive up front now doubt, but they pay you back over time. i cannot complain about the radions at all and i love all their features. i think the chinese LEDs do their job also for growing corals. LEDs definetly give your corals a pop, and my PE on SPS is better than ever.

snakeblitz33

Yeah. I dont think there will be a problem with them either. Although, ill see it in my electric bill. Im wonderin if i can put the glass over the reflectors that i already have on my 150w halides temporarily.
I bought two new acro frags. So far so good. One is really light colored. The other is greenish brown. Lol. Lets hope with better parameters and more stability they will color up some.

reefr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/460#post_3507930
Yeah. I dont think there will be a problem with them either. Although, ill see it in my electric bill. Im wonderin if i can put the glass over the reflectors that i already have on my 150w halides temporarily.
I bought two new acro frags. So far so good. One is really light colored. The other is greenish brown. Lol. Lets hope with better parameters and more stability they will color up some.
they should. how often do you WC?

acrylic51

Seth......You should have know DE bulbs aren't UV shielded.......
The 250's will work just fine.....Cut your light cycle back a bit though and then you can increase it after a bit if you desire.....

snakeblitz33

ibew41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/420#post_3507074
Ok, lets say I have $1000 to spend. What do you all think it should go to next? Pick a combination of the following:
Apex Controller $500
Calcium reactor $500
Livestock $250
Canopy and side cabinet: $250
Nikon D80 SLR camera $400
Decent halide bulbs ~$100
Salt: $70
Odds and ends ~$150
Keep in mind, this is pretty much the only time I will have enough money to buy the expensive stuff right off hand. And maybe the last time I will be able to buy expensive stuff until I graduate.
good set of leds then apex you can get a cal reactor used for $300 or less until then dose bionic

novahobbies

Seth, I just got caught up on the past 10 pages....jeez, I haven't been here in a while! Looks like you've been fielding the little ups and downs pretty well. Let me add my vote that if there is money to be spent, start with the new canopy and side cabinet materials and go from there.
I have to say I'm interested to see how your two tangs will do together when you bring in the PBT. You're only planning 3 or 4 fish, correct? I can see how the two tangs might be possible if the rest of the stocklist is low. Myself, I've chosen only one Powder Blue for my 110g display, but....well, you've seen the rest of my stock list.
Definitely more than 4.
Tell ya what this thread has been missing, though......MORE PICS!
MOAR, I tell you!

snakeblitz33

My last little point and shoot camera finally quit on me. XD I was using my iPhone for a lot of the pics on my thread but since I am adding livestock and corals now, I am looking into buying a quality DSLR camera. I am seriously thinking about either purchasing a Nikon D90 or the Nikon D5100. Either way I will invest in the best lenses. The point is, I don't think I am going to be adding many pics of the tank and livestock until I can get a better camera. Which, shouldn't be too much longer if things go the right way.
I don't really know what I want to invest in at the moment. I think I am going to get some odds and ends at the moment. Maybe another box of salt, a better heater, Seachem test kits, ... just some stuff that I have been putting off buying for a little while.
I was going to purchase red oak for the canopy, but now I think I'm going to do it with premium pine, which is a lot cheaper at the lumber yard where I buy it. Maybe trim it with red oak. I really don't know. THE PROBLEM is that I just don't have the time. I have to build a canopy for a guy that I have already gotten paid for before I can start really building on my true canopy. It sucks because I hate that I didn't put hinges on my temporary canopy. So, when I need to reach into the tank for whatever reason, I have to take the entire canopy off. :(
I just felt the water, and the water was COLD!!! I thought that my two small heaters were doing an ok job, but I scratched around and found an old 300w heater and added it to the tank. The light instantly came on to heat the water up. lol. Maybe if I can get my water up and my temp stable my acros polyps will start to come out some.

snakeblitz33

By the way, my course load this semester is horrible!
I hate it, but I am taking six classes!
3 big classes and 3 labs.
I'm taking two biologies - second intro and microbiology. Then, I'm taking an intro to chemistry and a chem lab.
I am praying that I make all A's this semester. It's going to be tough!!!

S

siptang

Seth, 6 classes do suck...
Mh upgrade is cool and yes it's definitely do able on a 75g. Im with Krista on this one and I say go with leds lol. Those electric bills will kill ya.
I would also say finish your canopy and sides (baby proof it) make it look awesome before investing in apex. Yes it's great but it's more for show. You don't need need it. Camera on the other hand is a great idea. However, you would need to purchase a macro lens to get some great photos.
Picture time seth lol

novahobbies

Ugh, yep, that's a heck of a course load. But some fun classes! Bio 2 was much easier for me than Bio one (which spent the entire semester focusing on THE CELL). Microbio was probably one of my favorite classes, personally, but as in all classes, the professor made ALL the difference. That was one of my "Easy A's."
Chemistry....UGH. Chem 1 is OK, Chem 2 isn't too bad......if you're doing Organic, GOOD LUCK. I passed Orgo 1 by the skin of my teeth and didn't even try for Orgo 2.
Why did an English grad take so many science courses? Good question, but....you can't open the book of my life and expect to jump in at the middle.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, i understand. Im a senior and im still two years away from a degree. I could switch to general studies and graduate tomorrow. I got a few extra business classes like you have biology. Lol.
As a school teacher i have to take all introductory courses. I have to know a little about a lot of stuff. I dont get to go into much detail in my studies. The only thing i get to go into a lot of is how to teach the federal mandated curriculum.
Though, i have considered a ms of biology in the future.
My heater was still working hard this morning. The water isnt near as cold to the touch this morning as it was last night. No stn or rtn on the corals. No fish loss. Im happy so far.

srt8

Hey Seth,I'm sure you might know this already but just in case,if you are considering LED lights,Rapidled.com has some high quality do it yourself kits or ready made either way. Just a FYI .

snakeblitz33

Oh yeah. Im well aware. Thanks for lookin out for me. :)
My little frags seemed to have perked up over the last 24 hours. The little whitish frag that i bought is starting to show some colors.
This coming weekend i am going to work on a mans canopy. Once i get that out of the way i might be able to start working on my own canopy and side cabinet.
I did a 5g water change last night.
Not much else going on. Everything is still alive and swimming. Lol. My lfs is getting a livestock shipment this thursday. Maybe theres a powder brown with my name on it. :)

snakeblitz33

Not a whole lot to report with the tank.
I am trying to get my daughters room all set up for her to stay back in her own room at night. Unfortunately for me, this meant investing in a $400 crib, $180 of bedding, $250 chest of drawers, $100 of nick knacks and $180 baby monitor. Oh well, at least she will be sleeping in her own room and the Cry it out method will be more effective at night.
HOWEVER, I still have $350 left over of my own money!!! Hmm, what to do, what to do... I still have 1k to play with for the tank at the end of the month. So, $1350 total now. Another hundred fifty on Friday. he he he. I feel rich.

S

siptang

Come on seth, show us your awesome skills with wood and finish this beast. Then we can progress to different things that can razzle dazzle everyone lol.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/460#post_3508522
Not a whole lot to report with the tank.
I am trying to get my daughters room all set up for her to stay back in her own room at night. Unfortunately for me, this meant investing in a $400 crib, $180 of bedding, $250 chest of drawers, $100 of nick knacks and $180 baby monitor. Oh well, at least she will be sleeping in her own room and the Cry it out method will be more effective at night.
HOWEVER, I still have $350 left over of my own money!!! Hmm, what to do, what to do... I still have 1k to play with for the tank at the end of the month. So, $1350 total now. Another hundred fifty on Friday. he he he. I feel rich.
Looks like someone is getting a real nice camera!!! Can't wait to see sweet pics.