Snake's 75g build thread

novahobbies

Richard, you don't NEED photoshop to balance the whites...but I admit it can be much easier with 'shop. Especially if you happen to have a white/grey/black card that you can hold up in one of the pictures. Say you're doing a 30-shot photoshoot under the same conditions. You don't need the card for all 30 pics. Just photograph the tank and card in the first shot. When you get to Photoshop, open all of the images you want as a group. I use Photoshop 7.0, but this works for most newer versions too.
Find your first picture with the white/grey/black card (or whatever you chose to use) and look at its layers dialog box. It's very important that you make this adjustment in layers. On the bottom of the layers palette, you will see a pop-up for adding adjustments...it's a little half-white, half-black circle. Click on this, then select "Curves." The curves dialog appears, and you will see three little eyedroppers on the bottom of that window: White, Grey, and Black. Yup. You can probably see where I'm going with this.
BUT....don't get ahead of yourself. If you're using Photoshop, you will want to set the correct values for these three tones. Start by DOUBLE-clicking the black eyedropper. A color picker will appear. Make sure it's set to RGB (these values would be different for CMYK, but you're not sending this to a printing press, are you?), and set your black to 20/20/20. This is a good neutral black that's not TOO black....we don't want the depths of the innermost circle of hell here, just plain old regular black. Click OK, then in the curves dialog, double click the white eyedropper. Again, use RGB...and enter 240/240/240. Once again, click OK...then double click the midtone eyedropper. For this one, use 128/128/128, and hit OK. There. Your shadows, highlights, and midtones are set. NOW...back to the pictures.
So, you've set your preferences, and you're back to the curves dialog in the layers field. Click the black eyedropper, then click a section of the black card. You should see a noticeable change. Select the white eyedropper by clicking on it once, then click somewhere on the white field of your card. Making these two adjustments usually does a lot for fixing your image, but if you have that grey section (midtones) you'll be surprised at how much better the subtle midtones correction can look. Select the grey dropper, click on the midtone section of the card, and sit back in awe.

Now, before you do anything else....you may want to lighten the image a little after these corrections are done. Click on the center of the actual curve graph in the dialog and drag it up a little. This will lighten midtones, and it's totally up to you as to how much you want to adjust this, if at all. Once it looks good to you, click OK in the curves dialog and it will close.
"BUT WAIT!" you say. "How do I do this to the OTHER pictures?"
Well, remember how I told you to make this change in the Layers palette? Here's why. Take a look at your layers again. You'll see that a new adjustment layer was created with the curves data. You may have to expand the palette to see the actual word "curves" but it's there. Photoshop has a great feature: you can layers from one photo to another to duplicate them. SO.....drage the CURVES layer of your fixed image onto another open photo on your workbench, and watch all those changes you made to the first image be applied automatically to the next. Continue to do this for however many photos you took in that session.
Now, it's up to you to decide if you want to take your cards and photograph them outside the tank or inside. They do make waterproof cards. In fact, here: http://www.amazon.com/Optek-Premium-Reference-White-Balance/dp/B001KNP3MQ/ref=pd_cp_p_1
Amazon, such a wonderful friend. I think I'm going to buy these, actually.
OK, tutorial mode off. Yes, I'm a bit of a Photoshop freak. Just enough to be dangerous, so to speak.

snakeblitz33

Nice write up!!
You may want to copy and paste that tutorial in the photography forum.
In fact, would you lkke to write an article for my site on the subject? Get in contact with me!!

snakeblitz33

Thanks guys.
All's well so far. She got an antibiotic to take for her ear, a dirretic to dry her nose up so she can breathe at night and we gave her some infant tylenol to help her sleep better and feel a little better. So far she's been sleeping for two hours without a cough or sniffle.
Just frustrating because I have soooo much homework to get done this evening and now I am stuck to 2 or 3 this morning getting it all done instead of doing it a little at a time over the course of the last three days.

S

siptang

Glad to hear that little one is doing better. It always gets to me when I see little ones not doing well...

snakeblitz33

She is still fussy but her cold seems better. I guess that antibiotic is working. She has almost stopped hitting herself in the head/ear. So, much better.
My hands have really been hurting a lot lately. I guess its the weather.
Tank is doing fine. I am actually seeing a huge increase in coralline algae growth overall. I havent lost a frag yet. Fish are doing pretty good.

novahobbies

Fantastic! On all fronts. I'm really glad to hear she's doing better.
Also kudos on the coralline, but you know....honestly I'm happier about the munchkin.
My coralline had been really getting a hold since I started dosing 2-part regularly. So...what's the next stock fish planned for this tank?

snakeblitz33

Not really sure. I just got a purple pseudo. I'm pretty happy for the time being. I was thinking of maybe adding a powder brown to the tank and a fairy wrasse sometime in the future before my clowns grow up too much and my yellow tang gets a little too dominant.
My aim right now though is to get a few key pieces of equipment that I have really been wanting on my tank. Namely a calcium reactor - mainly because I have never had one before and I like the thought of the whole automation process. I was considering investing in a couple of LED ReefBrite strips from my LFS... he has two strips over a 110g tank and has been keeping clams and open brains happy on the substrate. Also has montipora on the bottom of the tank that I have noticed is really thickening up and coloring up well over the last eight weeks he has had those LEDs over the tank. So, there may be something to these reefbrights. I was also thinking that if I did invest in a couple reefbrite strips I would also keep my four bulb T5 unit as "supplementation." for them since I already have some money tied up in them.
So, basically my main things at this point to focus on is adding a little more light, a little more stability through an ATO and a calcium reactor. I think that my money could definitely go towards some odds and ends things that I have also been needing for my tank rather than an APEX unit or an expensive powerhead.

novahobbies

Looks great man! I see you're putting those K4's to good use.... ;-) Glad to know they're not collecting dust in my closet.

acrylic51

Seth here's a good link to possibly help you with your controller decision.....
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/8/equipment

snakeblitz33

You know, I thought about it and yes, I do want a controller for my tank, but I don't think I am ready to drop that amount of cash until I am more comfortable with everything. I decided to go with the smaller Jr. controller and upgrade it as I need it. I think this is the smart way for me to go.
So far, I have on my list of equipment that I am buying tonight:
Apex Jr. aquacontroller
pH probe for aquacontroller
Octopus Ca 125 calcium reactor
5lb CO2 cylander
CO2 airline tubing
bubble counter liquid
bubble counter with check valve
Milwalkee instruments regulator with solonoid
ARM course calcium media
Eshopps probe holder
Seachem test kits for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium
Finnex 500w titanium heater
The calcium reactor will be controlled by the Apex Jr. The extra bubble counter with check valve is to replace the bubble counter on the Milwalkee Instruments regulator/solanoid combo because it doesn't have a check valve on it. I'm using course media instead of granulated media for the reactor because someone reported problems with the small grain size of their media with the octopus calcium reactor. The Finnex heater I am going to let my apex unit control instead of buying their controller. If the heater doesn't work out with the Apex Jr. I will probably purchase the separate controller, but for now I know that this heater is able to be controlled via the apex.
I am getting someone to build me some cabinets for the side so that I can finally stop worrying about my daughter getting her hands into my tank - and so that I have somewhere to put all the additional equipment that I want to run my tank.
Anyways, if you all have any suggestions, please feel free to let me know something is wrong or I haven't done my research enough. I would appreciate any comments.
Also, I have enough money left over from everything to invest in at least one ReefBrite LED strip that I am going to try out after the new canopy is built.