Snake's 75g build thread

snakeblitz33

Yup. I got the tracking number for it today. Coralvue actually ships out of Slidell Louisiana... so once they sent me the tracking number it was here within a matter of hours. lol. Makes me want to tour their facility. lol
Anyways... the unboxing...

snakeblitz33

I wasn't very impressed with the packaging. The styrofoam was falling apart and the box had some damage to the outside of it. It looked like coralvue sent me one that had been tucked away in a corner for over a year at their facility. But, when I opened everything up, it was all there and nothing was broken, so all was good.

snakeblitz33

Here's the box if anyone is interested in seeing what I was talking about. Emma was helping me unpack, of course.

snakeblitz33

The instructions on how to set it up were vague at best. It was a one page diagram, really. If I hadn't researched what media I needed, I would have gotten the wrong thing. I got ARM course grade media because it said that the pump that the unit uses is strong and that anything less will make the pumps motor sieze. (sp?) I installed the new bubble counter on the Milwaukee regulator and solenoid that has a check valve on it to keep the bubble counting oil from leaking into the solenoid. I am actually utilizing two bubble counters - just to be sure that the right count is being made and the fact that I feel like it is a necessary redundancy. Besides, the reactor said to use freshwater and the milwaukee counter said to use oil. I like the oil counter much, much better.
Putting all the stuff in the John Guest fittings was a cinch. I have to figure out how I am going to hook it up to my return pump, but that's an easy problem to fix. There were quite a few O-rings in the bag that came with the reactor. There was "some assembly required" and all of the unions kind of make me nervous, but I know that I used all of the O-rings and tightened everything up quite nicely so there shouldn't be any leaks.

snakeblitz33

Like I said earlier - I still need to hook it up to my return pump so that it has some water supply.
I really looked at my new pH probe - and the connections are the exact same as the old pH probe that I have. This means that I don't have to purchase a second pH probe! woohoo! However, I forgot that I need to order some low range pH calibration fluids so I can get my pH probe dialed in on the calcium reactor. SOOO... that means another small wait for that to come in. BUT, my APEX isn't even here yet and I haven't learned how to use it - so I don't think that I am behind, really.
The tank itself is doing pretty well. My fish seem pretty happy. My coralline is still brightening up now that I have brought up my calcium levels - and in fact, I have seen a lot of new growth lately. :D It's fixing to explode in the next couple of months with that calcium reactor online! Woohoo! I love purple rocks... but more I love the colored sticks that cover them. :D
My reefbrite LED fixture should be in some time next either this week or next week. I'm not sure when it will arrive, honestly. I just hope that it won't be too much longer.
By the way, I have noticed that one of the SPS corals that I had purchased at my LFS when it was white (yeah, I know, bleached) is now coloring up to a nice light green color. Some SPS are doing better than others at this point. One of the brown frags that I bought has a bit of tissue loss at the base and doesn't seem to be recovering very well. Oh well. I have yet to loose a frag.

snakeblitz33

Went to one local hardware store today to see about how I am going to hook my calcium reactor into my system. It seems that the hardware store I went to does not carry John Guest fittings. So, I'll probably have to go to the big box store instead to pick up the adapter/fitting that I need in order to complete the setup.

snakeblitz33

I was looking at my tank earlier and I noticed that some of my SPS corals that I had purchased when they were either white or brown (keep in mind, these are the $10 throw away frags at the LFS because I am cheap and I am still testing my water.) are actually starting to color up some. Three of my white frags are turning different shades of green with blue tips. One of them is showing purple tips. One of the cheap brown frags that I got is now showing signs of blue tips. So, that's exciting to know that my tank is stabilizing some.
Although the tank is doing well, I am getting small patches of cyanobacteria in places. I think this is due to me pretty much overfeeding my tank for the last two or three weeks. I have backed off of feeding so much and have increased my protein skimming. I might do a water change some time this week and siphon some of it out. I dunno yet. I just have a couple of Mexican Turbo's and a yellow tang as far as algae control is concerned. Maybe I need to invest in some nassarius snails and some other bottom dwellers to help mop up some of the extra food left in the system.
Next week I am considering taking a day off of work to finish something for a customer as well as to try to start on building my own side cabinet. I feel like at this point the side cabinet is more important than the canopy. The canopy will be done this Summer most likely. Since I have lights over the tank, I dont really care what the canopy looks like right now. I absolutely have to have something to put my 10g reservoir ATO tank as well as somewhere to place the extra electrical equipment and I need it to be a sure enough barrier between the kitchen and the living room so that my daughter can't get through there and pull on the plumbing or anything crazy like that.
Anyways, that's all for now. I'll try to get some pics of the color changes, but I am not that great with my camera just yet and haven't quite learned the details of how to capture true colors of corals just yet. Lots to learn on that front.

snakeblitz33

I'm having a heck of a time finding the right connection to get my calcium reactor online. I'm trying to hook it up to my 3/4" PVC return plumbing. I'm looking around town for a 3/4" male thread to 1/4" John Guest fitting. It's proving more difficult than expected. I guess I might have to order something online if it comes down to it.
Other then that, the tank is rocking and rolling. One of the acro frags that I aquired hasn't done very well ... it never has. So, it's started to STN on me - loosing much of it's tissue.
I have to order some epoxy pretty soon too, super glue isn't really doing a good job of holding the frags.
Ever since I brought my calcium and alkalinity up, coralline algae has been taking off. I'm happy about that - shows signs of a healthy tank.
On the other hand, I am having a small cyano problem in some low flowing areas of the tank that I guess I need to take care of pretty soon. I hate sand. Anyways, I will mix up some more saltwater this weekend and get a water change in and gravel siphon some of it off the sandbed. That's what I get for heavily feeding my tank too soon in it's infancy.

E

eric b 125

Wow dude... I go away for a few months and look what happens: you move, upgrade to a 75, the kid starts walking (or standing at least
)...sheesh. I'm not going to scroll through this whole build right now, but I'm glad to see things are coming together!

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/560#post_3511884
what classes are you taking this semester?
Chemistry, Biology II and Microbiology and their respective labs.
Next semester I am taking:
Botany + lab
Genetics
Cell Biology
Animal Diversity
The next semester:
Learning technologies
Classroom Observations
Curr / Reading (Yeah, as a highschool teacher, I may have to teach someone to read.)
Curr 400 something
The next:
Student Teaching (Block II)
Certification / graduation
If I can pass chemistry, I feel like I will be "over the hump and on the downhill," as far as my education is concerned. I have curriculum classes that basically teach me how to teach the information that I have learned - and student teaching and then all I have to do is get certified and I will be a Biology teacher. Not much longer now! I might even be able to take a couple of Summer courses to get closer to graduation faster - or have less that I have to do during the Semester so that I can work and study. Who knows.

snakeblitz33

Actually, to add to this, I have started a Professional Development website. (at least that is my reasoning for purchasing a website and hosting it. ) It's called www.DixieReef.com and it's an informational website for new hobbyists and some old hobbyists alike. I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on it this semester since I have been so busy with other stuff. I am working on trying to get some all original pictures up on the site so that I won't step on any copyrite fingers. I need to make some local friends so that I can take some pics of their tanks as well. I'm working on a library of information on Algae as well... something that I am pretty passionate about. So, I'm kinda using this website as a way to let my potential employers know that I am passionate about Biology and I know my stuff.
Anyways, take a look at it, PM me some suggestions or just send me an e-mail, I think it's on the site.

kiefers

I hope you like the labs for biology, when I took them some years ago it really helped. Love the koodies.
sounds like you have your hands full. Kodos to you!

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/560#post_3511891
I hope you like the labs for biology, when I took them some years ago it really helped. Love the koodies.
sounds like you have your hands full. Kodos to you!
Yeah, I do like my biology labs. In fact, I kinda like my Chemistry lab, even though I don't really like my professor. The labs really do help tie everything together for me - the additional learning is pretty nice. The experiments that we do in the labs really make the course work kinda sink in and become tangible for me.
What are koodies? Do you mean goodies? Like the stuff that I just purchased?
Yeah man, I really do have my hands full this semester. Besides going to class, I'm working at the taxidermy shop, and then I have to be a father/husband/maid on the evenings and weekends. Pretty dang busy. But, it's all worth it.
I wish they would give me some kind of tracking number for my Apex Jr. It's been almost two weeks now and Neptune systems still hasn't shipped. I'm about ready to cancel my order from that online retailer and order from someone else that actually has it in stock. I'm definitely not satisfied with the way things have gone. I'm sitting on $700 worth of goods that I can't use until I get in that Apex unit. It's ticking me off. Even when Neptune ships - it's coming out of California which will take another five or so days to arrive here. That will put it right at three weeks from purchase to arrival. :( So far, I'm not very happy with what has happened.

snakeblitz33

Actually, i was. However i now see it as a professional development website. There wont be any forums or anything bein sold. So, it should comply with saltwaterfish.com's rules and regulations. I talked to bangguy about it about posting it elsewhere and so far, no further response. But i just wanted to throw it out there on this forum at least.

novahobbies

Damn, sorry to hear about the shipping woes!! And I thought I was grouchy about $20 worth of Chinese LEDs....I'd be livid if I was waiting for an Apex and a LED fixture!
How's the tank itself doing? You mentioned on my thread that there were some issues....with the tank directly, or were you talking about those shipping and john guest frustrations??
I do hope you get the Ca reactor up and running soon...take lots more pics! I don't have one, but it's one of the items I'm starting to consider adding in. Not sure if I should be doing that or dripping Kalk with either a Kent aquadose...or just making a non-supersaturated limewater mix in my topoff. The Ca reactor appeals to my tinkerer side, I have to admit. ;-)