So I bought a gun... Few interesting facts about that...

crimzy

They aren't suing the mother, they are suing the state and now that I think about it the amount is 100 million. Given the financial status of the mother (living in a million dollar home) even though she didn't work I suspect there's some good insurance there but even if it's a million dollar liability policy split 26 ways it isn't going to go very far.
Tough case against the state or the school because you have to get around governmental immunity.
Your perspective is strange to me... you applaud teaching a 9 year old to shoot guns but condemn the Newtown victim's family seeking compensation as sick?

crimzy

Crimzy, it's pretty obvious that guns scare the heck out of you.  I started shooting riffle and bow right around the same time I was old as your youngest.  And being a military brat I was taught from day one that guns were not toys.  And that there were serious consequences to pay if I ever miss handled one.  I was only allowed to shoot under my fathers or families supervision. Guns were always kept in a locked safe that my sister or I did not have access too. And we understood to stay away from the closet where the safe was kept.  I had my good days and bad days in high school too but I never wished to kill anyone else or myself with a gun because of it.  There is more than one way for a teen to commit suicide if that's what they ultimately end up doing.  But for someone to want to kill defenseless human beings for absolutely no reason that makes sense to any of us then that speaks of a level of mental stability well beyond your average teen who's boyfriend just broke up with them.  
I'd recommend that perhaps you get rid of your gun.  Because it's situations like yours where kids ultimately and unwittingly stumble across them without realizing that they are there.  And the ever curious creatures that we are at that age the urge to play around with it and check it out is how accidents happen. Situations like this has the lowest probably of ever being used for anything positive.  
I had to take a deep breath after your earlier comment.  Coming from someone who's lived in the "D" himself, there are others here who might not appreciate the racial undertones of your remark. 
Lmao... guns in the hands of children does actually scare the heck out of me. Clearly you disagree with my opinion so you try to belittle me and somehow play the race card. FYI, mine is in a combination safe that my kids don't even know about. Security measure #1 is the safe but that's not enough. Security measure #2 is that my kids don't know, nor would ever have occasion to be around when I open the safe. I'm comfortable with my decisions. But again, an argument that I shouldn't have one but a 9 year old should... you just can't teach stupid, can you.
BTW, I don't think I'm a better person than you... just a whole lot smarter my friend. ;-)

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/40#post_3505839
Lmao... guns in the hands of children does actually scare the heck out of me. Clearly you disagree with my opinion so you try to belittle me and somehow play the race card. FYI, mine is in a combination safe that my kids don't even know about. Security measure #1 is the safe but that's not enough. Security measure #2 is that my kids don't know, nor would ever have occasion to be around when I open the safe. I'm comfortable with my decisions. But again, an argument that I shouldn't have one but a 9 year old should... you just can't teach stupid, can you.
BTW, I don't think I'm a better person than you... just a whole lot smarter my friend. ;-)
I'm fine with you thinking that, my friend. :)
G'night to you.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/40#post_3505838
Tough case against the state or the school because you have to get around governmental immunity.
Your perspective is strange to me... you applaud teaching a 9 year old to shoot guns but condemn the Newtown victim's family seeking compensation as sick?
Teaching a 9 year old how to safely handle a firearm is perfectly acceptable. Trying to make a buck off blood money isn't. I am sure the kid is traumatized but the state has already made counselors available for the survivors. It isn't like they aren't doing their part.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/40#post_3505839
You assume these kids are not supervised. You might actually find some idiot somewhere who would let a 10 year old shoot without supervision but they will be few and far between.

crimzy

:bw: You assume these kids are not supervised. You might actually find some idiot somewhere who would let a 10 year old shoot without supervision but they will be few and far between.
When did I suggest that these kids with guns are unsupervised when they learn to use them? My concern is that Santa is stuffing stockings with 357's. What you are doing is creating a highly attractive nuisance and hoping your kid isn't bright enough to get past your $15.00 security fortress.
As I said in the beginning of this tangent, this wasn't coming from a bad place. Unfortunately the minute you regret teaching your kids to play with guns, it's too late.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/40#post_3505843
When did I suggest that these kids with guns are unsupervised when they learn to use them? My concern is that Santa is stuffing stockings with 357's. What you are doing is creating a highly attractive nuisance and hoping your kid isn't bright enough to get past your $15.00 security fortress.
As I said in the beginning of this tangent, this wasn't coming from a bad place. Unfortunately the minute you regret teaching your kids to play with guns, it's too late.
Your thoughts on this read like one big cliche. You don't teach a kid to play with a gun. You also don't give a little kid a 357 unless you want to pay for their dentist's next trip to Hawaii having their teeth replaced. And if you only paid 15 bux for the "safe" your gun is locked in I suggest picking up a real gun safe. A single pistol version isn't too expensive. For a little over 100.00 you can get them that have a number combination and will also open by scanning your finger print.
I aint gonna knock your decision to not tell your girls about your gun but you should make damn sure they know what a gun is and what to do if they ever see one. While you are doing the responsible thing by locking yours up (I hope you don't have it in one of those cheesy 12.00 Kmart lock boxes made for papers and such) do all their friends parents?

crimzy

Your thoughts on this read like one big cliche. You don't teach a kid to play with a gun. You also don't give a little kid a 357 unless you want to pay for their dentist's next trip to Hawaii having their teeth replaced. And if you only paid 15 bux for the "safe" your gun is locked in I suggest picking up a real gun safe. A single pistol version isn't too expensive. For a little over 100.00 you can get them that have a number combination and will also open by scanning your finger print.
I aint gonna knock your decision to not tell your girls about your gun but you should make damn sure they know what a gun is and what to do if they ever see one. While you are doing the responsible thing by locking yours up (I hope you don't have it in one of those cheesy 12.00 Kmart lock boxes made for papers and such) do all their friends parents?
Don't get bogged down in the clever retort such that you don't see the forest through the trees. Playing vs. Hunting, who cares. 357 vs. 22 in the hands of a child, who cares. I'm surprised you didn't inform me that there actually is no Santa Claus stuffing stockings.
And yes, I have a proper gun safe. The combination is not numbers that can be discovered but a pattern of finger sequences, like a 4 key piano.
But you're semantical challenges ignore the point, which I'm confident you get. If you, Darth, or anyone else disagrees then that's on you. I just can't imagine raising kids like that but maybe it's just me.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/40#post_3505847
Don't get bogged down in the clever retort such that you don't see the forest through the trees. Playing vs. Hunting, who cares. 357 vs. 22 in the hands of a child, who cares. I'm surprised you didn't inform me that there actually is no Santa Claus stuffing stockings.
And yes, I have a proper gun safe. The combination is not numbers that can be discovered but a pattern of finger sequences, like a 4 key piano.
But you're semantical challenges ignore the point, which I'm confident you get. If you, Darth, or anyone else disagrees then that's on you. I just can't imagine raising kids like that but maybe it's just me.
Yep, it's just you LOL!
Different strokes. If I still had a school age kid I'd still live in Montana or some other rural area because I think big cities are trash and breed trashy people. I would also not let a child possess rap music, watch most of the shows on TV currently or see many supposedly PG rated movies. I am not going to knock someone else for allowing their kids to grow up in the big city or watching garbage on TV, but I will the rap thing LOL!
It's really just a cultural difference. Speaking for myself I grew up in Southern California. BUT I grew up in a isolated rural area so for my 5th or 6th birthday I got a pellet gun. I saw my brother shoot rabbits with his 22 in the field by our house. Had I grown up in the house my parents owned in a city about 20 minutes away that wouldn't have happened because it was in a housing tract. But this house was in the middle of an oil field my dad ran so it was like growing up in the sticks.

darthtang aw

Try a 4500 dollar security fortress. When my wife and I discussed bringing guns in the home this was our first purchase. It holds precious metals as well (we dont buy paper slips). If my child can crack this safe and get to the gun....I would be surprised. and most likely it wont be the gun they take out if they knew what was in there. Only two people know the combination, me and my wife, and half the time I have to open it for her because she forgets....
Their guns are locked away and only used under supervision. I received my first gun when I was 6. Given to me by my grandfather. They also understand what the responsibilty is when it comes to firearms. My own kids ask me to make sure the gun is not loaded when I clean them after our shooting. And will ask me to check it 7 more times....even when completely taken down once. lol...They understand the gravity and responsibility regarding a gun.
True story, my father in law left his rifle on the dining room table one day after an honor guard competition. He is part of the New Mexico honor guard. My kids scolded him for leaving it out and not putting it away. The difference between my kid and someone elses child....if someone elses child finds a gun...they might "play" with it. My child will immediately tell an adult to put it away.
The only guns ever out not locked up, are the ones my wife and I each carry concealed from our home to our businesses. In New Mexico I can conceal carry on my property, in my vehicle, and in my business. No need for a ccw......
By the way, their guns are single shot bolt action .22LR tiny rifles..not hand guns or AKs. It is a learning rifle. Have they shot one of my bigger ones, sure....once....they wont even touch the guns unless at the range. They dont carry them, they don't load them into the vehicle, and they don't unload them. They shoot them with daddy or mommy right behind them watching every little step. I am more concerned about my kids getting hit by a driver on their bicycles than shot by one of my guns.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/20#post_3505819
I love your generalizations and stereotypes.
I know 5 people that own ar class weapons. During the warm months we go shooting regularly (every other weekend). Be it target practice or what not. we shoot clays (moving targets Gasp!) and standing targets. We even "race". Moveable steel targets that move after hit...alternating shots to see who can acquire the new target fastest. And yes, we take our kids. My 9 year old son and my 12 year old step daughter both own their own gun.
Out of everyone I know with these "assault weapons" none of us have them sitting in our closets collecting dust.
During the hunting season we all usually hunt, I unfortunately have been so busy with my businesses I cant get 3 days in a row for myself to go. But everyone I know has went except one person other than myself.
This is the gun my dad hunts with....

Why would he choose this over a bolt action rifle or even a normal ar-15? He is a Veteran,so that will give a clue.
You shoot clays with an AR? Talk about a waste of money. I guess you go dove hunting with it as well? What does your dad hunt, rats and rabbits? That thing looks like an oversized BB gun I shoot the birds in my trees that are taking dumps on my cars. Trust me, you're the exception, not the rule. Half the people who buy these types of weapons could barely afford the gun, much less drop $50 - $100 every other weekend plinking at stationary and moveable targets. Rationalize owning these wepons all you want. But don't complain about your taxes going up, or that the economy isn't improving. If you're blowing $300 - $400 per month shooting you little toys, then yoour business must be thriving.
No one knows who will be the next "mass murderer" with one of these types of weapons. The problem is, no one really knows who owns them, and what they're capable of doing with them. You have this myopic ideology that anyone who owns a gun is immediately labeled a "responsible gun owner". When one of these individuals uses those weapons in a criminal manner, all of a sudden your stance is they must have obtained these weapons illegally. Of course no person who has a legally purchased gun would ever commit a crime with it.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393907/so-i-bought-a-gun-few-interesting-facts-about-that/40#post_3505856
Try a 4500 dollar security fortress. When my wife and I discussed bringing guns in the home this was our first purchase. It holds precious metals as well (we dont buy paper slips). If my child can crack this safe and get to the gun....I would be surprised. and most likely it wont be the gun they take out if they knew what was in there. Only two people know the combination, me and my wife, and half the time I have to open it for her because she forgets....
Their guns are locked away and only used under supervision. I received my first gun when I was 6. Given to me by my grandfather. They also understand what the responsibilty is when it comes to firearms. My own kids ask me to make sure the gun is not loaded when I clean them after our shooting. And will ask me to check it 7 more times....even when completely taken down once. lol...They understand the gravity and responsibility regarding a gun.
True story, my father in law left his rifle on the dining room table one day after an honor guard competition. He is part of the New Mexico honor guard. My kids scolded him for leaving it out and not putting it away. The difference between my kid and someone elses child....if someone elses child finds a gun...they might "play" with it. My child will immediately tell an adult to put it away.
The only guns ever out not locked up, are the ones my wife and I each carry concealed from our home to our businesses. In New Mexico I can conceal carry on my property, in my vehicle, and in my business. No need for a ccw......
By the way, their guns are single shot bolt action .22LR tiny rifles..not hand guns or AKs. It is a learning rifle. Have they shot one of my bigger ones, sure....once....they wont even touch the guns unless at the range. They dont carry them, they don't load them into the vehicle, and they don't unload them. They shoot them with daddy or mommy right behind them watching every little step. I am more concerned about my kids getting hit by a driver on their bicycles than shot by one of my guns.
Of the 200 child deaths by firearms every year, over 20% of them are accidental shootings when the child came across and accidentally shot themselves with a weapon located in their own home. Yet again, you are the exception to the rule. I can't count the number of peeople I know that keep their handguns loaded and stored under the mattress, behind the headboard, or in the nightstand. One of my poker playing buddies showed me his recently purchased AR the last time I was over at his house, and he just had it in one of these hard-plastic cases with the standard latch locks, and he keeps it in his closet. His kids are 15 and 21, so he isn't too concerned about either one messing with them. I've read the stories of the "responsible" parents that have taught their kids the proper usage and dangers of firearms, yet the kids curiosities still had them wanting to "play" with the guns when Mommy or Daddy weren't around. The classic is when they have their friends over, and they start bragging about how Dad took them to the gun range to let them shoot their "big guns". Of course, they have to show their friends the guns, and how they work. Ooops. Dad forgot to unload the one in the chamber...

bang guy

Trigger locks are cheap and effective. I have no idea why people don't store their weapons with trigger locks when there are kids living in the house.

darthtang aw

You shoot clays with an AR?  Talk about a waste of money.  I guess you go dove hunting with it as well? What does your dad hunt, rats and rabbits?  That thing looks like an oversized BB gun I shoot the birds in my trees that are taking dumps on my cars.  Trust me, you're the exception, not the rule.  Half the people who buy these types of weapons could barely afford the gun, much less drop $50 - $100 every other weekend plinking at stationary and moveable targets.  Rationalize owning these wepons all you want.  But don't complain about your taxes going up, or that the economy isn't improving.  If you're blowing $300 - $400 per month shooting you little toys, then yoour business must be thriving.
No one knows who will be the next "mass murderer" with one of these types of weapons.  The problem is, no one really knows who owns them, and what they're capable of doing with them.  You have this myopic ideology that anyone who owns a gun is immediately labeled a "responsible gun owner".  When one of these individuals uses those weapons in a criminal manner, all of a sudden your stance is they must have obtained these weapons illegally.  Of course no person who has a legally purchased gun would ever commit a crime with it.:^^&:
The clays are used for getting used to hitting a moving target. Is it anymore a "waste of money" shooting at a still target. Jesus you will find something "dumb" about any aspect of shooting. Some people waste there money on sound systems, other people waste their money on drugs, and yet more waste their money on other frivilous crap. How I spend my money is my business. At one point I owned 8 aquariums costing me 1000 a month to maintain if not more. How is this not an equal waste of money?
That gun of my dad's, shoots the same caliber as the ar-15 which you claimed was a great weapon to hunt deer with. The difference is it is a pistol. He hastwo reconstructed shoulders and three fused vertebrae, a rigle or shotgun can hurt immensely to shoot so he uses a pistol.
I never claimed every gun owner was "responsible". Just like not every person that drinks alcohol is responsible.
I have stated I wouldn't mind a tax increase on certain weapons. and yes, my businesses are thriving. I also dont go by the latest flat screen TV (dont even own a flat screen) or the latest video console. How many adults drop 100s on video games. It is no different. My money goes towards this hobby of shooting. Everyone has hobby's...

darthtang aw

Of the 200 child deaths by firearms every year, over 20% of them are accidental shootings when the child came across and accidentally shot themselves with a weapon located in their own home.  Yet again, you are the exception to the rule.  I can't count the number of peeople I know that keep their handguns loaded and stored under the mattress, behind the headboard, or in the nightstand.  One of my poker playing buddies showed me his recently purchased AR the last time I was over at his house, and he just had it in one of these hard-plastic cases with the standard latch locks, and he keeps it in his closet.  His kids are 15 and 21, so he isn't too concerned about either one messing with them.  I've read the stories of the "responsible" parents that have taught their kids the proper usage and dangers of firearms, yet the kids curiosities still had them wanting to "play" with the guns when Mommy or Daddy weren't around.  The classic is when they have their friends over, and they start bragging about how Dad took them to the gun range to let them shoot their "big guns".  Of course, they have to show their friends the guns, and how they work.  Ooops.  Dad forgot to unload the one in the chamber...
So roughly 40 child deaths are a result of owning a gun irresponsibly. This means a greater majority of firearm owners must be acting in responsible manner. How many child deaths are a result of drinking irresponsibly each year?

darthtang aw

Trigger locks are cheap and effective.  I have no idea why people don't store their weapons with trigger locks when there are kids living in the house. 
I use trigger lock for the rifles and shotguns. The handguns I use safety bullets. Basically it is a fake bullet loaded in the magazine. if loaded and fired it renders the gun in operable unless the proper tool is used to remove it. Each handgun is loaded with two of these bullets, one in the magazine and one in the chamber.In order for the handgun to be live I would have to eject the bullets by racking the slide twice.

2quills

Boy oh boy. Some of you guys just aren't sure which side of the fence you're on when it comes to fire arms. One minute you're calling for a ban against assault riffles. The next you're saying that nobody knows how to act responsibly with a gun at the same time you sit here and defend your right to own one because you're sure that your kids aren't going to be the one to get their hands on it and cause an accident since you haven't told them that you own it yet. When are you guys going to pick an argument and stick with it? You're either against the right to own a gun or you aren't. Which is it?

darthtang aw

I just googled "safety bullet"....never heard of them before, pretty cool.
Yeah, best 12 dollars bullets I have ever seen.