SOVIETTACO's 24g Nano-Cube Diary

aquapod 24

i bought a piece of pulsing xzena just like that in march and now it is all over my tank. also i got a piece of the green star pylops the same size in march and now it is bigger than a baseball in diamiter.

soviettaco

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3148161
can't you boil water?????
Don't you have any lemon juice????
1) of coarse I can lol, but the two I have spotted are on large pieces of LR which Taking out would just mess everything up.
2) Lemon juice I don't have and I don't have any way of administrating it, like a syringe or something, I'm not saying I can't get any, but the aipstasia x just sounds better we'll see tomorrow.
Either way I'm getting it out

soviettaco

Originally Posted by navaljonf
http:///forum/post/3148164
My recommendation is Aiptasia X. The problem with the Aiptasia is where there's one, there's probably more...so to ensure you prevent them from spreading I would get a peppermint shrimp as well. They eat Aiptasia. Between the X and shrimp you should be money. As far as the Sixline Wrasse, I just got one and is probably the best purchase I've made. I have a ton of lr in my 29 and he swims in/out of the rocks all day. However, he is the last fish I've added and is the smallest...my maroon clown keeps him in check too. They can be aggressive and by looking at your livestock I would not recommend one unless its the last fish you're adding and small
I have heard peppermints are viscious even against fish? Also this is what I WILL eventually be getting:
2 pom pom crabs
3 sexy shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp or 1 fire shrimp

[hr]
so would the peppermint cause any problems to these tankmates? And would that just be toooo many shrimp for a 24 gallon nano-cube?
Also the sixline would be the last fish but it would not beable to be the smallest cause the clown goby is really small. Also wouldn't he just go to town on my inverts?
Another question about the peppermint shrimp, would it go after other anemones like a BTA cause I have been thinking about getting one of those.
Originally Posted by AQUAPOD 24
http:///forum/post/3148166
i bought a piece of pulsing xzena just like that in march and now it is all over my tank. also i got a piece of the green star pylops the same size in march and now it is bigger than a baseball in diamiter.
Awesome! Is that how your green star polyps looked like when you first put them in? And should I have any concern for a chemical war having the zenia or stars? I am very newbish when it comes to corals I don't know anything, so I don't know what can't be near each other and what can. I moved my Stars to the sand for right now cause I want to find a better place then where I had it.

http:///forum/post/3148171
Well to use boiling water you need a syringe too...you also inject that
Hmm, interesting. I figured you would have to dip it, like I said I am a NEWB.

soviettaco

Got Joes Juice at normal price and a half bottle of aiptasia for free.
Also got a peppermint shrimp, but seeing I have only spotted 2 aiptasias and that I don't have a problem with blasting them I am sort of regretting buying the shrimp. I say that cause I was told peppermints will eat sexy shrimps and as you already know I want to get 3 of those. Do you think I should be getting rid of my shrimp so soon, I want to get multiple opinions?
Since I got my shrimp (which I will be taking back tomorrow) I also asked my lfs owner if I should get some Iodine supplements, she said I should for the shrimp and the corals I have. I told her I have a calcium brick thing and she said the iodide is better because it controls one thing as apposed to a brick has many things in it making it impossible to control things. I havn't put any Iodide in yet I want to do some calcium tests first.
BTW does calcium and iodide really matter? In the sense that I have to regulate it like crazy? And would a calcium brick and Reef Iodide be bad to do together and why?
Here's the pictures I promised:
fire and ice, wish I could get a night time shot they glow so beautifully

Here's my favorite crab in the tank, mostly because he is so BEASTLY!!!! lol

fire and ice again

Green star polyps finally opened up

Peppermint shrimp..... Should he stay or should he go? What do you think?

FTS

Oh and the Joe's Juice, I think it worked it seemed to be instantaneous though. Makes me think if I really got them or if I just blew them of the LR
is that possible?
Tell me what you guys think, I really appreciate your help!

meowzer

I have peppermints in all my tanks.....I have had 1 aptasia in my 225 which I killed with lemon juice
and 2 tiny ones in my 54g which the peppermints took care of.....If they will eat Se xy shrimp (IDK) then don;t keep them....IMO they are great scavengers though
AS FAR AS the iodide.....I WOULD NOT NOT supplement anything that you do not test for.....I have bottles and bottles of stuff that I do not use....At first I was told to add a bunch of stuff......this was before swf...NOW I add nothing
Hope that helps some,.....lol
OFF TO BED nite alll

soviettaco

http:///forum/post/3148565
I have peppermints in all my tanks.....I have had 1 aptasia in my 225 which I killed with lemon juice
and 2 tiny ones in my 54g which the peppermints took care of.....If they will eat Se xy shrimp (IDK) then don;t keep them....IMO they are great scavengers though
AS FAR AS the iodide.....I WOULD NOT NOT supplement anything that you do not test for.....I have bottles and bottles of stuff that I do not use....At first I was told to add a bunch of stuff......this was before swf...NOW I add nothing
Hope that helps some,.....lol
OFF TO BED nite alll
Thanks Meowzer I value your opinion, and it did help I needed to be pushed in a direction, I am going to take it back today sexy shrimp are way cooler! lol.

soviettaco

Sooooo busy with school right now that I can't do anything let alone post stuff on this forum
. any one else have the troubling nightmares of exams and 12 page papers every week, its driving me insane!!!

I need it to be friday so I can get some stuff!!

Bro, college was the best time of my life. That's why I'm going back next year for graduate school and for more money of course.

soviettaco

Originally Posted by Contraband629
http:///forum/post/3150561
Bro, college was the best time of my life. That's why I'm going back next year for graduate school and for more money of course.
I agree but I wouldn't mind the papers disappearing
. I just got done writing a 10 page paper on Ira Berlin's Many Thousands Gone
Ugghhh my hands hurt from typing.

10 pages? That's nothing. Sounds like you aren't really doing upper division work yet. I was an engineering major so I didn't have to write a whole lot of papers but my senior thesis was 60 pages single spaced and I somehow managed to write it up in one week after spending months collecting data and trying to get the darn thing to work. Ah I miss those nights of staying in the lab until the sun comes up.

spanko

In a 24 gallon tank a good water change schedule of 10% per week will replenish everything you need with the current tank inhabitants. No need for calcium, iodine or any other supplements.
Peppermint shrimp = great for small Aiptasia control. Not so much on other things though especially as they get larger. Mine decided that all my feather dusters must have looked like Aiptasia and decimated them including every one of the Christmas Tree Worms on my Porites rock. You may also find that a 6 line Wrasse will make a meal out of the shrimp and crabs as well as become a brute to other fish in the tank.

soviettaco

Originally Posted by Contraband629
http:///forum/post/3151235
10 pages? That's nothing. Sounds like you aren't really doing upper division work yet. I was an engineering major so I didn't have to write a whole lot of papers but my senior thesis was 60 pages single spaced and I somehow managed to write it up in one week after spending months collecting data and trying to get the darn thing to work. Ah I miss those nights of staying in the lab until the sun comes up.
I'm just a sophmore but its not like that makes it any easier, I'm a history education magor and all you do in that field is read and write, read and write, read and write... No 60 page thesis..... Yet. The papers, book reviews, and research papers never end.
Originally Posted by AQUAPOD 24
http:///forum/post/3151261
now im scared of college
Its great don't worry.
Originally Posted by spanko

http:///forum/post/3151268
In a 24 gallon tank a good water change schedule of 10% per week will replenish everything you need with the current tank inhabitants. No need for calcium, iodine or any other supplements.
Peppermint shrimp = great for small Aiptasia control. Not so much on other things though especially as they get larger. Mine decided that all my feather dusters must have looked like Aiptasia and decimated them including every one of the Christmas Tree Worms on my Porites rock. You may also find that a 6 line Wrasse will make a meal out of the shrimp and crabs as well as become a brute to other fish in the tank.
Yep the peppermint is now gone
, and I decided against the sixline as well a while ago after I figured out it would eat all of my crabs and such... Which is by far my favorite part of my tank. As I was telling my lfs owner I am really a crab and shrimp person not a fish person lol.
And thanks for the opinion about the supplements! What ever saves money right? lol.

soviettaco

Well new stuff!! And some new pics but like always I will try to put up some better ones tomorrow.
Getting rid of the peppermint shrimp not only allwoed me to get the stuff that I wanted but also gave me a reason to rearrange my LR set up, which now IMO looks a million times better.
Weekly Parameters 10-9-09:
SG: 1.025
Temp: 78
Ph: 8.2
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 10
I think my nitrates went up from last time cause when I moved my LR debris went everywhere... I bet they will go down in a day or two.
Ok heres my updated stock list:
CUC:
3 nassarius snails
3 astrea snails
1 stometella snail (hitchhiker)
6 medium blue leg hermits
2 scarlet hermits
1 emerald crab (hitchhiker)
2 (some type of) Red Fiddlers (any ideas?)
3 Sexy Shrimp
1 Purple and Yellow Feather Duster (anyone know the proper name?)
Fish:
2 ocellaris clowns
1 Okinawa Goby (sounds better then yellow clown goby hahaha)
1 Bangaii Cardinal
Coral:
1 green torch coral with 4 heads
Red brain coral
piece of rock with a ton of purple/blue mushrooms
Brown button polyps
Fire and Ice Zooanthids
Pumping Xenia
Green Star Polyps
LR/LS:
about 12 lbs LR
20 lbs LS
Future:
2 Pom Pom Crabs
BTA
MORE AND MORE CORALS AND MORE CORALS AND EVEN MORE CORALS
Pics:
The Fiddlers

Sexy Shrimp.... Being oh so sexy don't you think?

Feather Duster

Crabs again

Better pic of the duster

Ok heres what I did with the LR:
Before

And after

Doesn't it look a lot better? More depth but with the same amount of LR.
So yeah I will be posting better pics tomorrow!!