Start of one "BIG" SPS tank

goodwin9

Originally Posted by reef noob
any sps yet
Good News! They are shipping tomorrow and will be here Wednesday morning. I made a bulk purchase so I couldn't specify particular corals, but have been promised that I will be surprised at the size and color of these frags. I have my fingers crossed.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by fish addict
If you look in some of his pictures you can see some sps.
So where are the new pictures? You might not have gotten anything new but we don't care! Give us more pics anyways! :jumping:
There are a couple already in the tank, two that have done OK and 2 that didn't make it. Water parameters are about as good as I think that they will get so will add a variety of SPS as see how they do. Sorry about the lack of pictures, had to do major plumbing on my 470 to replace the skimmer which died on me, and have decided to change skimmers on the shark & ray tank, along with the Octopus tank.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by sillynecco
i jumped in late to this thread.... how many gallons is this tank?
Like 480 +150 sump or so

grumpygils

Originally Posted by BLAZEHOK68
I Thought It Was A 640?
I'm going to do one last tank which is going to be be my biggest, and final project. I've never had luck with, or been able to keep SPS's in any of my tanks. So I found someone locally who has convinced me that it can be done. The new tank is acrylic and is 120H X 48W X 25H, for about 600 gallons. The tank will have a 160 gallon sump/refugium located on the stand below the tank.
Here are a couple of pictures of the tank being manufactured.
First thread.....600 + 160 G sump
Mc

goodwin9

Finally have gotten a few corals in the tank. Some of the frags were smaller than I wanted, but I hope that they will grow. Also got a few clams and anemnones. Pictures didn't turn out very good. Going to have to wait until the camera box arrives.

wangotango

i feel bad for you. when i get sps they're so small to, they even look tiny in my 55, i cant imagine how dinky they look in your tank. its going to take a while for them to grow, but once they all fill in it's going to look nice
. in the first batch of frags it looks like they're glued horizontally and not vertically, that doesnt make too much sense.
-Justin

goodwin9

Originally Posted by WangoTango
i feel bad for you. when i get sps they're so small to, they even look tiny in my 55, i cant imagine how dinky they look in your tank. its going to take a while for them to grow, but once they all fill in it's going to look nice
. in the first batch of frags it looks like they're glued horizontally and not vertically, that doesnt make too much sense.
-Justin
Some of them are very small and I have put them in the frag tank. Some of the corals were glued horizontally because they were so thin or small, I was afraid that they would get broken off in the tank. I have been told that a horizontal frag will grow faster than if placed vertically. I guess time will tell.

azfishgal

So do you just glue that disc to the live rock, or do you take the frag off and then glue it directly to the rock? :thinking: And I know what you mean about getting a frag a lot smaller than you thought.
One of my zoo frags was only as big as the tip of my finger.
I give people a magnifying glass to look at that one. :hilarious So I'll probably get the rest of my frags at my lfs so I can see exactly what I'm getting. Thankfully I have a really good lfs that has some great looking corals.

With that said though, your tank is going to look awesome in about a year!

blazehok68

Originally Posted by WangoTango
-Justin
i watched an hour long coral prop video on here once, (i think it was eric borneman??) and he said when he was fragging sps that it was actually better to glue them horizontally because they produce more branches that way and actually grow quicker, instead of vertically they would only grow straight up and not produce as many branches.

jocoxvt

It also allows the fresh cut side to be exposed for healing. It give you more area which will encrust and the faster it can secure itself the faster it will start branching up.

goodwin9

Local reefer brought over some frags today for the tank. Much larger than the one from last week and all were mounted vertically.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by goodwin9
Local reefer brought over some frags today for the tank. Much larger than the one from last week and all were mounted vertically.

Outstanding frags!