Start of one "BIG" SPS tank

cjason3041

ok, i just figured it out...i read all the threads you attached goodwin....i know what you do for a living....because taking care of those tanks is probably a full time job....you are an arm dealer aren't you!!!

goodwin9

Originally Posted by cjason3041
ok, i just figured it out...i read all the threads you attached goodwin....i know what you do for a living....because taking care of those tanks is probably a full time job....you are an arm dealer aren't you!!!

Your right on the first part, wrong on the second. They do take a lot of time, but for the most part, it's not too bad. Testing the water in the nine tanks takes about 2 1/2 hours a week. For water changes, it takes 25 minutes to remove 50 gallons from a tank, it that another 25 minutes to replace the water. I have about 2,000 gallons in 9 displays, so doing a 10% water change takes about 4 hours to complete. Biggest pain for me is cleaning the acrylic, very time consuming. The four glass tanks are a breeze compared to the acrylic.

ghettotang

Hey nice tank your have there. I really like the yellow and the blue hippo tang. I was wondering where do you get all this fish from online. Can I get the web site of the online fish that you order from. My email address is JayPnoy12@aol.com
Thanx
Jay

triga22

What do you do for a living? Have you won the lottery in your life? Those tanks will cost you like 20,000 a year to run electricity for.

david24

Everyone always asks what Goodwin9 does for a living, not sure it's any of our business really.
That's not to say I don't wonder myself and have my theories. He doesn't seem to want to say so he must be a little embarrassed about it, but he must make good money to afford all these awesome tanks. We also know he's educated and went to Kentucky University.
So I'm thinking LAWYER.

Hey Goodwin still have the Yellow Belly Hippo? Haven't seen him on your webcam yet.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by David24
Everyone always asks what Goodwin9 does for a living, not sure it's any of our business really.
That's not to say I don't wonder myself and have my theories. He doesn't seem to want to say so he must be a little embarrassed about it, but he must make good money to afford all these awesome tanks. We also now he's educated and went to Kentucky University.
So I'm thinking LAWYER.

Hey Goodwin still have the Yellow Belly Hippo? Haven't seen him on your webcam yet.
I am in computer sales and service. Work a second job to support by habit. You got the school wrong, it's Kansas University.
The Yellow Belly spends most of the time in the cave on the right side of the tank. I'm not sure why he spends so much time in that cave. He does manage to come out during feeding, but then heads back in the rocks. No one harassing him that I've seen, so I can't say why.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by TriGa22
What do you do for a living? Have you won the lottery in your life? Those tanks will cost you like 20,000 a year to run electricity for.
Not that much thank goodness......

tylerferrari

Originally Posted by goodwin9
If you receive this message, you need to change the security settings in
Internet Explorer to allow viewing of ActiveX media. Follow these
steps:
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click 'Tools'
3. Click 'Internet Options'
4. Click 'Security'
5. Click 'Custom Settings'
6. Go down the list to 'ActiveX'
7. Be sure all 'ActiveX' controls are 'enabled'
A suggestion:
Enabling all ActiveX controls poses a security problem. If you vising a site that has spyware hidden in an ActiveX control, it will automatically download it, and install it.
The solution?
Add the daokta reef website to a list of "Trusted Websites". Instead of allowing ActiveX controls to run for all websites, it will only run for the ones you have listed as "Trusted".
To set the dakota reef site as trusted (allowing for ActiveX controls to run), yet still preserve internet security, do the following:
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click 'Tools'
3. Click 'Internet Options'
4. Click 'Security Tab'
5. Click the 'Trusted Sites Icon'
6. Click the 'Sites' button directly below it
7. Uncheck 'Require Server Verification' (make sure the checkmark is removed)
8. Paste the following link into the text area http://dev.dakotareef.com
9. Press the 'Add' Button
10. Press Ok
11. Press 'Custom Level' button
12. Scroll down until you see the heading 'Download Unsigned ActiveX Controls'
13. Change it to 'Enable' and press ok
Yes it's lengthy, but this should solve most problems people are having, and yet still maintain security while on other websites.
It is not completely necessary to do steps 11-13, but it may help any bumps in the road with the dakota reef site. If you don't do steps 11-13, it will prompt you to install the ActiveX controls for your trusted sites. If you do those steps, it will automatically install ActiveX controls.
You can also use this method for any other sites that you know are trusted, like www.saltwaterfish.com

cjason3041

Originally Posted by goodwin9
I am in computer sales and service. Work a second job to support by habit. You got the school wrong, it's Kansas University.
The Yellow Belly spends most of the time in the cave on the right side of the tank. I'm not sure why he spends so much time in that cave. He does manage to come out during feeding, but then heads back in the rocks. No one harassing him that I've seen, so I can't say why.
he is bill gates...

bill109

Originally Posted by cjason3041
he is bill gates...

told ya!
well . all i have to say is i dont know how u do it. keeping many many tanks up and running and looking amazing.
good job

-bill109

goodwin9

Originally Posted by bill109
told ya!
well . all i have to say is i dont know how u do it. keeping many many tanks up and running and looking amazing.
good job

-bill109
Thank you! They are a lot of fun, (for the most part). I do have some good help that keeps them going.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by David24
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for The Yellow belly now that I know were he hides out.

I took a few pictures for you this evening when I was feeding the tank...

hefner413

awesome! Just wondering - has he or any others shown any signs of ich? I've always been scared of a regal tang b/c of ich.

bpaul1201

oh look kids its DOREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well hows everything going on in that dakota sea? any new additions to the tank? leep up the good work with all your tanks!
p.s. one question since you have some big tanks have you ever have some of the fish besides clowns successfully mate and make some fry? like tangs and angels? i was just wondering cuz most people dont have tanks over 100g but you have a few and thought that with the extra space that the fish might have gave it a try or yourself!

goodwin9

Originally Posted by Hefner413
awesome! Just wondering - has he or any others shown any signs of ich? I've always been scared of a regal tang b/c of ich.
I had two out of the three small blue hippos come down with ich and die. This Yellow Belly has a few spots which might be ich, but had been doing fine other wise and eating well. I had a Powder Blue shortly after adding fish die from ich and am waiting to make sure that the tank is free of it before I add another.

goodwin9

Added a Spotted Face Surgeon today. He's about 4" long. Most of the lights were off when I took these pics and the tanks needs a little cleaning. Will post better pics when there are better conditions.