Start of one "BIG" SPS tank

goodwin9

Originally Posted by bullitr
put xenia in there your water will be good in no time and when the water is great the xenia's stop growing. just my to cents
I have never heard that one. Do they dissapear? I had a nice rock full of them and it has been growing smaller. I thought that I had someone eating them???

grubsnaek

xenia are a crazy coral. one day there doing great, the next there shriveled up and gone. goodwin if the xenia colony is getting smaller, i really mean this its prob not you or your tank.

bullitr

as you can see my phos and nitrate went down as it show in the tank picture no more algae bloom less water change.

goodwin9

Originally Posted by bullitr
as you can see my phos and nitrate went down as it show in the tank picture no more algae bloom less water change.
Very Interesting, I'll try and find the photo of the rock with Zenea I took when I got it and what it looks like today....sad for what I paid for it......

am00re34

in my experiance you should never pay for xenia... In WI people are giving it away for free. I'm sure if you can find a fellow reefer in your area they would be happy to give you a frag (if not more). I would be more than happy to give you a nice chunk, but you live to far away.

goodwin9

Well, it has taken me more than three years to find one, and how could I be so lucky to end up with two of them. I finally cam across a Mustard tang ( Acanthurus guttatus ). This guy is probably 3" and is hanging out in the back of the tank right now. Will have to see how he gets along with the others and start swimming with the gang. I hope to get some better pictures when he comes out and all of the lights have come on.

R

reefernana

Originally Posted by grubsnaek
xenia are a crazy coral. one day there doing great, the next there shriveled up and gone.
Boy, isn't that the truth! I bought a small frag from some locals and it had 4 little stalks on it. After having to move it a few times because my hermits kept knocking it down, I put it down lower in my tank but one of the stalks just melted away. I then moved it up top and found a position that I could wedge it in and now after a month the other 3 have grown so many new branchs I'm sure they will be splitting soon. They seem to like the brighter light up there cuz they sure are pulsing a lot more now, too.

goodwin9

Finally, two weeks late, I received my new salt mixing/holding tanks to replace the smaller 65 gallon tanks I have been using. With the addition of these two tanks, I will have 425 gallons of saltwater storage, and 150 gallons of storage for RO water. City utilities has to love me.....

goodwin9

Originally Posted by azfishgal
Beautiful new Mustard Tang.
And nice mixing tanks, wished I had room for something like that.

I know it has been 2 years, if not longer when I first saw a picture of this fish on a website. The first name I heard was Jewel tang, but later came to find out it is better know as a Mustard. I've checked with over two dozen on line retailers asking for them to be on the look out for one for me. Monday I get an email from one of them that they are in stock so I ordered two, thinking that if one doesn't happen to make it, I would still have one. I got a call from the supplier Monday afternoon telling me that they had twice as many orders as they had fish, but he was going to try and get me 1. He said I would get the invoice and tracking number sent to me that evening if they shipped. I didn't get the email, and Tuesday, when Fed Ex delivered, I didn't get a box, I was heart broken. An hour later. DLH showed up at the door with a box from the supplier. I was so happy that I had gotten one until I opened the box to find 2 of them. How lucky.
They aren't an expensive fish so I am calling these the "poor man's Gem Tang"
Gem, Jewel, same things aren't they. At least the back half of the fish looks like one......
The new tanks should come in handy incase I ever get in the mood to change water in more than a couple of tanks in one day. If I am figuring right, I should now be able to do a 20% water change in all of the tanks in a single day. It's nice to know I can incase I have to.......

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by goodwin9
I added a nice male Red Sea Blonde Naso today.

I love the male Blonde Nasos! The streamers are awesome!! Good choice Goodwin!