stocklist for a 100g

skate020

ok cool, ermm, i hope so, there should be, i have loads of angel food left over from when i had the blueface and i can make sure they've got their nutrients. sponges etc.

btldreef

Originally Posted by skate020
http:///forum/post/3202327
ok cool, ermm, i hope so, there should be, i have loads of angel food left over from when i had the blueface and i can make sure they've got their nutrients. sponges etc.
Well, that's the biggest thing, if you go lighter on the rock work (which I see Cranberry's point on) then just make sure you've got a really good diet for the Angels. Mix up flake, pellet and frozen as well as readily available seaweed/algae strips.

skate020

yehh ok cool:)
i will do, do you think a Dussimier Tang or w/e its called could replace the clown/sohal tang?
i saw a thread last nite and the guy had one and its beautiful,
you know wat one im on about? tang that is

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3202865
yehh ok cool:)
i will do, do you think a Dussimier Tang or w/e its called could replace the clown/sohal tang?
i saw a thread last nite and the guy had one and its beautiful,
you know wat one im on about? tang that is
I do nor know about it off the top of my head, I will look it up later when i get home.

skate020

yeh ok cool:)
its like a pale blue with loads of colourful stripes on, its beautiful, id imagen its quite expensive tho lol

btldreef

So I did some research on the tang. I do know it, I just knew it as a Eyestriped Surgeonfish.
The Dussumieri Tang gets really big! I don't think it would be a good fit in your tank. They are a beautiful fish, but they can reach 1 1/2 feet and need a ton of rock work to pick on. They are much more peaceful than the Clown Tang or the Sohal Tang. I really don't think any of those three tangs are the best pick for your tank, but the decision is up to you.
The Dussumieri is not nearly as expensive as the Sohal either, but it is harder to find.
I would look into a smaller tang if possible? It's a 130G, right?

skate020

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3203320
So I did some research on the tang. I do know it, I just knew it as a Eyestriped Surgeonfish.
The Dussumieri Tang gets really big! I don't think it would be a good fit in your tank. They are a beautiful fish, but they can reach 1 1/2 feet and need a ton of rock work to pick on. They are much more peaceful than the Clown Tang or the Sohal Tang. I really don't think any of those three tangs are the best pick for your tank, but the decision is up to you.
The Dussumieri is not nearly as expensive as the Sohal either, but it is harder to find.
I would look into a smaller tang if possible? It's a 130G, right?
Ok cool, hmm yeh I read that, well if I do get that tang I'll eliminate the sailfin, yes it's a 130g:) if I can't find another tang I'll make a new stocklist to fit it, so I won't add with the current stocklist the sohal, clown or dussumieri, instead maybe a Achilles like you said, if I can find one.
If not then new stocklist;
•1x volitans
•1x emp angel
•2x maroons
•1x dussumieri
•1x foxface
•1x SFE
something like that to give it more space, but if I can get ahold of the Achilles tang then it'll be the original stocklist just with the Achilles :)

tukthis

Im farely new to this forum..but in my opinion if you like that fish dont let the overall size of the fish determine wether you buy it or not.Everyone and there mom says my tank is over stocked and my fish will over grow it..I love my fish but i know there is a time years away they will outgrow it..And by then im sure ill want something new and different so its ok buy what you want and enjoy the fish...Live for today not tomarrow!

skate020

Originally Posted by tukthis
http:///forum/post/3205787
Im farely new to this forum..but in my opinion if you like that fish dont let the overall size of the fish determine wether you buy it or not.Everyone and there mom says my tank is over stocked and my fish will over grow it..I love my fish but i know there is a time years away they will outgrow it..And by then im sure ill want something new and different so its ok buy what you want and enjoy the fish...Live for today not tomarrow!
hmmmm i hear wat your saying, and it is a good point.
but all in all i want this tank to look cool with a foot long angel in with similar sized fish around it, granted i will need to upgrade in a couple years, and i will do so, but its not also the size facter im worried about, its the compatibility with the other tangs too, and the angel at that.
and saying this, its not that im not getting the fish because of its size either, its just the two stocklists i have made, its hard for me to choose wich one i really want, i think im sticking with the first one i made, but never know, i could change my mind.
i got £200 today, from pay check, not much, but it'll do, so i think i might buy a skimmer:D
i'll have a look around to see which one to get

btldreef

Originally Posted by tukthis
http:///forum/post/3205787
That's a great philosophy to have on life, however, not when handling another's.
When you put a fish that grows to be 2" in under 2 years in a 70G tank, you're not doing anything for yourself or that fish. They'll be malnourished, stressed, etc. When a fish is not cared for properly, you're not going to have a great looking fish and therefore your tank suffers.
I have a heavily stocked tank as well (17 fish in a 155), but many of my fish stay small.
When you stock a tank, you want to strive for the best option of each fish, how fast they're going to grow, what their nutritional needs will be, and what's compatible. Pushing the boundary a tiny bit is okay, but Skate knows he's already pushing it with the tank mates he has chosen (angels are known to nip at Lions fins). Stressing out a fish because you're selfish and want to own it is just wrong. Save up for the tank that suits that fish. I'm not a fan of people that go "I'm planning on upgrading soon." That's not a guarantee, what if your car breaks down and then you don't have that money for the upgrade? Now you're stuck with a fish that is growing to fast, stressing the bioload on the tank and is stressed itself. Stressed fish = diseased fish, I've seen it a million times. Skate tried to push the envelope once before with a smaller tank, he'll tell you, I yelled at him and rode him hard about it, guess what? His tank crashed, he had to come crawling back and apologize and then ask for help. That's not a great feeling.
Skate, you're doing the right thing here and I really commend you for taking advice and planning everything out. How's the lion doing?
Always remember: Happy fish = Healthy fish = Happy tank.

skate020

yehh i can back BTLD on this one, when i found out i was gettin my 130g i decided to go nuts and stock it before i had it,
i had a 25g at the time, and put a angel, a trigger, two clowns a yellow tang and a manderin in, then the tank crashed.
i leanrt from my expensive mistake. so this time im taking it slow.
and yes i wouldnt say my tank is going to be heavily stocked, but the angel and lion could have compatibility issues, so if i can give the angel room, it will make the fish happier, and less likely to bite the fins of the lion.
and thanks BTLD, lions doing great! hes getting fatter:) and when i put the net in the tank last night to put a platy in he swam over to the net, so this will help me get him onto frozen:)
i went to the DIY store yesterday to have a look at lights. and to my luck, they have a TON of outdoor metal halide 150w lights, for £6 each, i think i may buy 3 or 4 of them and replace the bulbs with one with a higher wavelength:)
i might get a lump of wood and cut out holes to make a kind of frame for them, will be great to have metal halides in there, i could get my clowns an anemone at some point and it can be healthy.

skate020

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3207630
Sounds good. Glad to hear the lion is doing well.
Is the tank cycling yet? I can't remember
thanks:) although i've ran out of Live food for him and its been snowing non-stop here for past week and my amazing renault clio doesnt like the snow

so i may have to try my best to get him onto frozen today, if i cant then im going to trek it to the shop lols, may take a couple hours but fish needs to eat!.
yeh it been cycling for about a week and abit, im thinking of adding the lion in mid feb- end of feb t be certain there wont be any spikes in nitrate levels.

skate020

ahhhh my lion is still on live food:(:(
i tried the trick of putting some line on the frozen food and making it look like a live fish, but when he ate it he grabbed the line to and spat it straight out,
he went nearly a week without food because i was stranded at home and couldnt get more live food, managed to get some in the end tho, fed him 3 platys. and not going to feed him again untill monday, i think he's grown a lil bit too:)
Cranberry, help me on the getting himto frozen, if i stick it on a skewer he doesnt go near it, if i just drop it in he'll look at it then just leave it, and when i tried the line trick he ate the line aswell and spat it straight out, when i put the net in the water he does come over to it so i could try that way, but if it doesnt work then wat am i to do?

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3214913
ahhhh my lion is still on live food:(:(
i tried the trick of putting some line on the frozen food and making it look like a live fish, but when he ate it he grabbed the line to and spat it straight out,
he went nearly a week without food because i was stranded at home and couldnt get more live food, managed to get some in the end tho, fed him 3 platys. and not going to feed him again untill monday, i think he's grown a lil bit too:)
Cranberry, help me on the getting himto frozen, if i stick it on a skewer he doesnt go near it, if i just drop it in he'll look at it then just leave it, and when i tried the line trick he ate the line aswell and spat it straight out, when i put the net in the water he does come over to it so i could try that way, but if it doesnt work then wat am i to do?
I hope Cranberry can help you, but here's what some other people do, it's a slow process:
"Training is very easy. The first step is to teach the lionfish that you mean food! So for awhile, you will have to feed him live foods. Ghost shrimp are the first choice as they are closest nutrionally wise to the lions normal diet. So you get the fish and feed him 2 to 3 ghost shrimp one day. Wait 2 or 3 days and feed him again. (It's very important not to feed every day as this simulates a more natural way of feeding and gives their gut a chance to clear). Keep doing this until the lionfish comes to the front of the glass when you approach the tank and looks up at the surface of the water for the shrimp. Now he is ready. Stop all feedings for 5 days. Get 2 live shrimp and a piece of thawed food (silversides, clam, squid, etc). Make sure the food is good and thawed and cut into bite sized pieces (for a small lionfish).Get yourself a nice shiny spoon from your kitchen drawer. Offer him one live ghost shrimp, then follow that with a piece of thawed food on the spoon, (the flash of silver at the surface with stimulate him to strike), then another live shrimp, and the other piece of thawed (if he will take it). Then....stop all feedings for another 5 days and repeat the above only instead of 2 live shrimp, only offer one. Once you have gotten to this point, he should be willing to eat anything that hits the water! Give him prepared frozen foods for marine fish (from the LFS) or fresh seafood that you buy at the grocery store (if you do this, make sure you soak his food in a saltwater vitamin before feeding), pellets, flake, with only the occasional live feeding."

skate020

ok thanks:),
whenever i put the net in the tank he's comes right up because he knows its feeding time, i think i might try that and the stick the fish in the freezer trick one too, where you put the fish in for 5 mins so its not dead, but very dull, so it'll be all wavy, then when the lion goes for it, it'll move, then do it again with one fish like that, and a couple frozen foods, and hope he takes all.

skate020

i ordered some metal halide bulbs last night:)
150w 14k, got 3 of them :)
so hopefully that'll be enough for a nem when it comes to the point where i can have one:)
still need to make a bracket for the halides, but i have 1-3weeks untill the bulbs come so im not really in any kind of rush:)
think i could try a couple corals in there too?

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3215541
i ordered some metal halide bulbs last night:)
150w 14k, got 3 of them :)
so hopefully that'll be enough for a nem when it comes to the point where i can have one:)
still need to make a bracket for the halides, but i have 1-3weeks untill the bulbs come so im not really in any kind of rush:)
think i could try a couple corals in there too?
You can try. I'd start with a couple cheap mushrooms and zoa frags and see if the fish pick at them or not. With the angel it's a 50/50 chance.