stocklist for a 100g

skate020

yehh if i get the 2 majestics, i'll eliminate the sohal tang.
the frogfish wasnt in the tank with ich.
although i went to the LFS and they had some stuff treatment, wich you dosed it with the salinity at 1.017 so ic wont kill LR or corals. well some corals.
i think when i get back from holiday, going on holiday again tomorrow, antigua:D may have to go scuba diving and find some fish idea's lol.
anyways when i get back from holiday im going to get the tank set up and ready for a QT, so i'll take everything out of it, and treat it with the treatment stuff so there is no parasites in there, and then i'll get a UV sterilizer.
ahh the tank i was originally gettin was out of stock, so we ordered another, same size, just this one comes with sump, vinyl background, overflow box, cabinet, closed hood and condenser glass slides. was more expensive tho, £908.08 to be exact, when the other one was £507, im not going for the cheap route this time, going to take my time.
tank needs to be made and because its near christmas it'll be about 2 months, which is good, cos i'll get the tank in feb, then my birthday in march, i could get money to spend on the tank in march, :D untill then it'll have to cycle without any majure stuff, like may have the lights ready then, but may have to be just small lights.
also last question, when i get the tank my 25g will be the QT. it hasnt got a hood, when i get the eel, how am i going to QT it without the hood and the eel not exscaping?

btldreef

Originally Posted by skate020
http:///forum/post/3183073
yehh if i get the 2 majestics, i'll eliminate the sohal tang.
the frogfish wasnt in the tank with ich.
although i went to the LFS and they had some stuff treatment, wich you dosed it with the salinity at 1.017 so ic wont kill LR or corals. well some corals. Read up about this chemical. I try to avoid chemical treatments if at all possible.
i think when i get back from holiday, going on holiday again tomorrow, antigua:D may have to go scuba diving and find some fish idea's lol. Nice place. Have fun!
anyways when i get back from holiday im going to get the tank set up and ready for a QT, so i'll take everything out of it, and treat it with the treatment stuff so there is no parasites in there, and then i'll get a UV sterilizer.
ahh the tank i was originally gettin was out of stock, so we ordered another, same size, just this one comes with sump, vinyl background, overflow box, cabinet, closed hood and condenser glass slides. was more expensive tho, £908.08 to be exact, when the other one was £507, im not going for the cheap route this time, going to take my time. Well, think of it this way, you'd be spending the same amount to buy all the extra stuff anyways.
tank needs to be made and because its near christmas it'll be about 2 months, which is good, cos i'll get the tank in feb, then my birthday in march, i could get money to spend on the tank in march, :D untill then it'll have to cycle without any majure stuff, like may have the lights ready then, but may have to be just small lights. Sounds like plenty of time to get good lights and set up a QT.
also last question, when i get the tank my 25g will be the QT. it hasnt got a hood, when i get the eel, how am i going to QT it without the hood and the eel not exscaping? egg crate top
Good luck and have fun in Antigua!

skate020

cheers BTLD:D
i just got back:D
was soo hot and sunny,
i went snorgling in a reef near St. johns, the capital, and saw loads. i saw a titan trigger - made sure i stayed away from it lols, yellow tail snappers, THOUSANDS of Sgt majors, loads of parrot fish, dragon wrasse, a massive RBTA, huge monti cap, loads of coral i had no idea wat thay are called lol, and lastly, i saw a massive baracuda, that scared the life out of me lols, oh and a sea turtle:D
so yeh all in all was a good trip:D
came home to find my tank was half full again but i have nothing in it so idc lols.
i'll get some egg crate soon and i may get some metal halide lights from a DIY store here, there ones for bedrooms etc, but its like 4x 250w bulbs or something, if i can find the bulbs in a 15k+ wavelength i'll get it:D
tank should arrive in about a month:D

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3190682
cheers BTLD:D
i just got back:D
was soo hot and sunny,
i went snorgling in a reef near St. johns, the capital, andi saw loads. i saw a titan trigger - made sure i stayed away from it lols, yellow tail snappers, THOUSANDS of Sgt majors, loads of parrot fish, dragon wrasse, a massive RBTA, huge monti cap, loads of coral i had no idea wat thay are called lol, and lastly, i saw a massive baracuda, that scared the life out of me lols, oh and a sea turtle:D
so yeh all in all was a good trip:D
came home to find my tank was half full again but i have nothing in it so idc lols.
i'll get some egg crate soon and i may get some metal halide lights from a DIY store here, there ones for bedrooms etc, but its like 4x 250w bulbs or something, if i can find the bulbs in a 15k+ wavelength i'll get it:D
tank should arrive in about a month:D
glad to hear that your trip went well! I will never forget my encounter with a barracuda in Turks and Caicos, I actually got bit!
I am very new to metal halides so I can't comment on the whole DIY aspect, but I wouldnt to more than 14k or they get very blue.
Good luck and hope you're enjoying the holiday season!

skate020

yehh i didnt get bit but i had a diamond earring in and could of easily lost my ear lol.
yeh these will be the first metal halides i bought, but there high output for if i want to try a couple corals and they are probably cheaper than buying a t5 unit, its like £112 for it. so yeh.
will the wavelength matter? because it comes with low wavelength, im not sure wat but its a warm white, well, its a regular light youd have at home just strong, but that kinda colour, should i go for around 10-14,000k?
yehh holiday was great, but my manderin disapeard in my nano, i dno wether it died or wat, its body is nowhere to be seen, mabe it died, then the body just decomposed. will check parameters later, if there all a mess i will assume it did just that.
think i might just strip down the tanks now, move them around, set the 23g up as a QT, wait for it to cycle and might get my first fish, atleast then my tank can be set up, and then cycle, so the fish can be QT'd quite well:D if i used copper treatment in a QT, will the fish be healthy? atm i have no U.V steriliser, so if the fish goes in atm its pointless because theres no way of cureing it of anything it has. should i just ditch the idea of gettin the fish now and re set up the tanks when my new one arrives?

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3191488
yehh i didnt get bit but i had a diamond earring in and could of easily lost my ear lol.
yeh these will be the first metal halides i bought, but there high output for if i want to try a couple corals and they are probably cheaper than buying a t5 unit, its like £112 for it. so yeh.
will the wavelength matter? because it comes with low wavelength, im not sure wat but its a warm white, well, its a regular light youd have at home just strong, but that kinda colour, should i go for around 10-14,000k?
yehh holiday was great, but my manderin disapeard in my nano, i dno wether it died or wat, its body is nowhere to be seen, mabe it died, then the body just decomposed. will check parameters later, if there all a mess i will assume it did just that.
think i might just strip down the tanks now, move them around, set the 23g up as a QT, wait for it to cycle and might get my first fish, atleast then my tank can be set up, and then cycle, so the fish can be QT'd quite well:D if i used copper treatment in a QT, will the fish be healthy? atm i have no U.V steriliser, so if the fish goes in atm its pointless because theres no way of cureing it of anything it has. should i just ditch the idea of gettin the fish now and re set up the tanks when my new one arrives?
Yeah, I had jewelry on. I didn't know any better at the time and our tour leader didn't advise me otherwise. I got bit on the hand/arm, not a good experience at all (at least it wasn't my throat since I was wearing a necklace). Also got stung by a coral on that trip. Would go back in a heart beat though, it is one of the best places to dive in my opinion.
I would post the MH question as a new thread in the DIY, Lighting, Equipment thread and see what others have to say. I don't have enough knowledge with them to tell you one way or the other and I really don't want to steer you down the wrong path.
As for the whole QT'ing thing. I would definitely set it up and get it cycled properly. That being said, I know you're impulsive, LOL, so you've got to make sure it's fully cycled and that you're going to be around to care for the tank and not have it crash again. I hate to see you keep wasting money like that.
As far as I know, copper only works for ich. I have never ran a UV sterilizer, but I also have never had any disease issues. The closest I've came to anything is my Flame Angel started to form lympho (I think that's what AquaKnight said it was) on a bite wound from my Coral Beauty (fish from hell
) but it healed on it's own with proper feeding and vitamins and the help of my cleaner shrimp. My suggestion would be to try to buy the healthiest fish possible, and if it doesn't have ich, throw in a cleaner shrimp and add vitamins to it's food to keep it healthy. Skunk Cleaner Shrimp are that expensive so if it does have ich and you decide to treat with copper, well, you wouldn't have lost that much money. My other suggestion, if you don't want the shrimp is to run the SG low (1.018ish) to rid off parasites and keep the temp high as well as proper feeding and vitamins. Since it's only a 23G, I'd QT one fish at a time so be wise with your choices.
Good luck.

skate020

ok thanks, yeh i think i might do all this tomorrow, i will take all sand out and LR etc. so it is bare, will probably move the tank so i can re arrange my room in order to get my tank in.
now i was thinking here, other week i went to the fish shop and was asking about bamboo sharks (not for me, for my dads 500g tank) and we started going over prices and then we got onto rays and then onto the jap drag eel.
after mentioning the jap drag it opend my mind abit, everything i've read about them suggest there terribly easy to keep, BUT there about $1200, but when talking to the guy at my LFS he said that here there about £300, so like $550, is my tank big enough for that and wat fish could i have with it ? because if i can i would get one if it is that price.
so yes if it is possible to get one in a tank my size, it'll be a lovely fish in there. would it go with say a lion, sailfin, maybe a large angel. maybe a few damsels for it to chase too.
this is a longshot, i wouldnt of thought of gettin one untill i heard the price.
suggestions on fish that can be kept with one, whether a 130g 6' long is big enough?

teds tank

any moray would eat any fish so only put a fish in the tank if you are prepared to lose it(but the zebra is supposed to be the safest)
a 6foot tank would be great for it

skate020

ahh ok sweet:D
if i can deffinately get this eel for around £300-£450, im having it.
will get some damsels, for it to chase, so basically it would be the moray, and about 10 schooling fish for it to chase:D

skate020

abit of an update:)
tank came saturday:) it was early so thats good:)
i have got pictures but lost the cable to connect camera to laptop so im waiting for a shop near me to get it in wich should be around 4 weeks or so. so be patient and i'll update the pics.
so far i've got for the tank:
sump, with pipework fitted.
return pump.
heaters.
thats it.
i've got rocks in the sump too obv.
but im now saving up for a skimmer.:)
im also waiting for the tank to fill, i started filling it this morning cos it took a couple days for me to work out how to fit the pipework.
so it should be full tomorrow night then i'll add salt and then let it cycle:)
the QT underneath it is set up and i've got a lionfish in there which i got today :)
its about 4" long so tis only small:)
as far as jap drag is concerned, i dont think ill be getting one, i went back to the lfs and the guy said it was £418 for a mexican dragon moray. but £816 for the japanese dragon moray:( so i think ima stick with lion angel and few more fish lols.
tank looks GREAT! i cant wait for it to have cycled and for when ive bought lights and enough rocks and stuff for it:)
im so excited for this one:)
will start another thread when i can upload the pictures for all those interested.
still thinking of a stocklist. i must be the only person in this hobby to impatient to stick with one stocklist lol.
so im thinking in order of adding the fish:
1x volitans lion.
1x sailfin tang (destajini one)
1x lunare wrasse
1x emperror angel (juvi)
1x french angel (largish (so wont fight with juvi emp)).
1x zebra moray
2x large maroon clowns:)
so yes thats the stocklist i like the look of alortt:)
will try leave at least a month between fish but the angels will be added at the same time.
if i got 2 juvi angels would they be aggresive towards each other? i got told they could by guy at lfs.
many thanks for whomever answer my millions of questions:D

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3197153
ath it is set up and i've got a lionfish in there which i got today :)
its about 4" long so tis only small:)
TAKE IT SLOW! Do not put that Lionfish in that tank for at least a month, especially with the method which you are using to cycle (which isn't bad, it just takes a little bit. I don't want this tank to have issues like your last tanks have. Too much money invested. Don't buy any other fish until the tank is cycled and the lion can go in.

as far as jap drag is concerned, i dont think ill be getting one, i went back to the lfs and the guy said it was £418 for a mexican dragon moray. but £816 for the japanese dragon moray:( so i think ima stick with lion angel and few more fish lols.
Sounds good, the Japanese Dragon Eel is cool, but it's hard to put more fish with them.

tank looks GREAT! i cant wait for it to have cycled and for when ive bought lights and enough rocks and stuff for it:)
im so excited for this one:) Make sure any rocks you buy are fully cured. Any rocks that you add once the initial cycle will send the tank back into cycle mode unless it's a fully cured rock. I add rock to my tank all the time, but it is fully cured and it still causes a tiny bit of diatoms to build up for a few days. Just keep that in mind. I would try to get as much rock in there now while it's cycling, then worry about lights, then fish.

will start another thread when i can upload the pictures for all those interested.
still thinking of a stocklist. i must be the only person in this hobby to impatient to stick with one stocklist lol.
so im thinking in order of adding the fish:
1x volitans lion.
1x sailfin tang (destajini one)Desjardini Sailfin Tang - (sp. Zebrasoma Desjardini)

1x lunare wrasse
1x emperror angel (juvi)
1x french angel (largish (so wont fight with juvi emp)).
1x zebra moray
2x large maroon clowns:)
so yes thats the stocklist i like the look of alortt:)
will try leave at least a month between fish but the angels will be added at the same time.
if i got 2 juvi angels would they be aggresive towards each other? i got told they could by guy at lfs.
many thanks for whomever answer my millions of questions:D
I would add the sailfin towards the end of the list. My sailfin isn't super aggressive, but she does tend to boss around other fish, especially when a new fish is added to the tank. Here is the order that I would stock:
Lionfish (since you already bought him, and he's the most docile)
French Angelfish
Emperor Angelfish
Maroon Clownfish
**I would get the two closer to the same size honestly, even add them at the same time if possible**
Sailfin Tang
Lunar Wrasse
Zebra Moray Eel
Are you absolutely set on the two angels? Two tangs might be easier to deal with than two angelfish
And again, remember to take this slow!!!

skate020

ok thanks:)
yeh i've had the plan of when i get the tank to start cycling i'll buy my first fish so i can it about 2 weeks after it cycles. im going to assume it'll take a month to cycle, if it goes much longer im not really bothered, only fish in the qt atm and has plenty of room. so it can stay in there two months if neccessary. i am going to take it slow:), each fish can be QT'd for ATLEAST a month, with treatment aswell as UV steriliser etc.
i would much rather two angels because the only other tang i really like is the sohal, and i got told that could bite the lions fins and bully the sailfin, is this correct?
if it isnt correct then i dont mind swapping the french angel with a sohal tang, i'll put it in after the lunare wrasse and before the moray just because ive heard they are aggresive.
ALL the rock i buy will be fully cured no doubt!, i wont go near any that isnt cos i dont know how to cure it, i dont know much about the rock.
and with the maroons, i will buy them already as a pair, may be a little more expensive but in the long run is alot easier.
i will buy the rocks first, i dont think im going to get anything else untill the rocks are here, well not all of them, but i want to get atleast 20kg in before i buy skimmer etc.
i'll take your advice on putting the sailfin in near last :)
i dont need a skimmer untill the fish are in do i?
so i can save up a fair bit to get a decent one:)

teds tank

i would much rather two angels because the only other tang i really like is the sohal, and i got told that could bite the lions fins and bully the sailfin, is this correct?
the angles would bite the fins of the lion as well. go with more peaceful angle like the blue face or majestic.
eels, large wrasses and angles are more aggresive then tangs(in general)
i would only have one angle your bioload is full and aggresive.

btldreef

Take a look at the Achilles Tang ... Might give you a similar effect of the french
without the fighting of two angles and the potential nipping at the fins

skate020

also i was just looking up at a previous stocklist, and i think instead of a zebra i will go with a goldentail moray, alot less reclusive, the zebra hides alot and nobody wants that.

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3199162
also i was just looking up at a previous stocklist, and i think instead of a zebra i will go with a goldentail moray, alot less reclusive, the zebra hides alot and nobody wants that.
I really don't know that much about eels, maybe someone else can help you out with that one. Let me know what you decide with the angels & tangs

skate020

ok cool, howcome it would be worse?
sorry im not being stubborn here i dont know much about the goldentail.
yeh i suppose but some eels will roam a fair bit and stick their heads out.
and BLTD i think im rather going for a Clown tang, or a sohal. i like the shape of them:)
and for angels i think its out of a emp, or annularis. i suppose its just watever i come across at the right time.
other news, my lions doing great:)
my cycle has started too, so in about a week i'll check for readings.
oh and one last thing
happy new year everyone:)