This Can't Be-California Democratics Banned It

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerboy http:///t/388457/this-cant-be-california-democratics-banned-it/60#post_3427853
We banned cocaine too but somehow people still use it. Your logic is fail.
Technically no. If you took the same gun ban approach that Mexico uses, then stopped manufacturing guns altogether, it would be very difficult for the average citizen to own a gun. All you need is a seed, dirt, and the proper growing conditions, and you can grow all the cocaine and marijuana you'd ever want. You can stop making guns. Almost impossible to stop someone from growing a weed or coca plant.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/388457/this-cant-be-california-democratics-banned-it/60#post_3427899
Technically no. If you took the same gun ban approach that Mexico uses, then stopped manufacturing guns altogether, it would be very difficult for the average citizen to own a gun. All you need is a seed, dirt, and the proper growing conditions, and you can grow all the cocaine and marijuana you'd ever want. You can stop making guns. Almost impossible to stop someone from growing a weed or coca plant.
If we took mexicos approach to gun bans we would have citizens dead in the streets here too. Fact is if we banned guns they would be coming across from Mexico with the illegals, drugs and criminals.
Oh, the coca plant wont grow well in the united states and you'd need a greenhouse the size of a city block to grow enough to begin to make even a little cocaine. Not only isn't it economically viable it would be damn hard to conceal.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/388457/this-cant-be-california-democratics-banned-it/60#post_3427909
If we took mexicos approach to gun bans we would have citizens dead in the streets here too. Fact is if we banned guns they would be coming across from Mexico with the illegals, drugs and criminals.
Oh, the coca plant wont grow well in the united states and you'd need a greenhouse the size of a city block to grow enough to begin to make even a little cocaine. Not only isn't it economically viable it would be damn hard to conceal.
You could always nip it at the source. Don't ban guns, simply quit producing the ammo. No longer make shell casings, ammunition-grade gunpowder, or lead. Sooner or later, the supply would run out. A box of shells would become a premium commodity. You could sell a box of 9mm or .223 shells foir $2,000. If the materials weren't available, you couldn't even do reloads.

yerboy

Then what would our police and troops use? Sling shots?
I'm sure in some post in the past you have explained what your objection is to firearms is but for my own sake could you do so again? It makes no since to me on why someone would want to ban firearms.. Handguns and submachines guns maybe but every make model and type of firearm, seems insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/388457/this-cant-be-california-democratics-banned-it/60#post_3427926
You could always nip it at the source. Don't ban guns, simply quit producing the ammo. No longer make shell casings, ammunition-grade gunpowder, or lead. Sooner or later, the supply would run out. A box of shells would become a premium commodity. You could sell a box of 9mm or .223 shells foir $2,000. If the materials weren't available, you couldn't even do reloads.

darthtang aw

Did someone seriously use Mexico as an example for laws and their enforcement? In regards to violence and guns even?
Darth (Bionic got his medical marijuana card) Tang

darthtang aw

You could always nip it at the source.  Don't ban guns, simply quit producing the ammo.  No longer make shell casings, ammunition-grade gunpowder, or lead.  Sooner or later, the supply would run out.  A box of shells would become a premium commodity.  You could sell a box of 9mm or .223 shells foir $2,000.  If the materials weren't available, you couldn't even do reloads.  

Why would you want an unarmed population?
How does this prevent what has happened in Mexico from happening here?
How does our military get ammunition if there is a manufacturing ban on it in this country?
How many jobs have you just killed? What is your new unemployment rate?
How much Tax revenue have you now cost the cash strapped government?
How much has this new law hurt the metal commodities market?

bionicarm

It's a hypothetical. Ammo would still be produced for the military and police forces. You'd need a special license to purchase ammo.
I don't have an aversion to guns. I own guns. The issue I have are these 'over the top' gun activist that think the world will come to and end, and anarchy would rule the day if someone puts the slightest restriction on what kind of weapon you can purchase, and what limitations you have in regards to how you can transport and carry that weapon whenever and wherever you want. It's the "It starts with restrictions, then it's a total ban" mentality that I find ridiculous. The only way a total ban would occur is if you repealed the 2nd. That would NEVER happen, no matter what contrived conspiracy someone could cook up stating that it could. I see no logical use for a normal citizen to own certain semi-automatic weapons (AK's, AR-15's, Uzi, etc.) Of course you'll get the pat answer "I can buy one because the 2nd says I can. I use it for sport or targeting practice." OK, fine. You want one for sport or playing Rambo? Make them available at gun shops for temporary use. You can "check out" these weapons for a 15 - 30 day period after an extensive background check is performed. Go shoot as many boxes of ammo you can to get that adrenaline rush out of your system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerboy http:///t/388457/this-cant-be-california-democratics-banned-it/60#post_3427929
Then what would our police and troops use? Sling shots?
I'm sure in some post in the past you have explained what your objection is to firearms is but for my own sake could you do so again? It makes no since to me on why someone would want to ban firearms.. Handguns and submachines guns maybe but every make model and type of firearm, seems insane.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/388457/this-cant-be-california-democratics-banned-it/60#post_3427947
Why would you want an unarmed population?
How does this prevent what has happened in Mexico from happening here?
How does our military get ammunition if there is a manufacturing ban on it in this country?
How many jobs have you just killed? What is your new unemployment rate?
How much Tax revenue have you now cost the cash strapped government?
How much has this new law hurt the metal commodities market?
Again, it's a hypothetical.
Where does the Mexican cartels get the majority of their ammo? Cut off the source, and you cut down the violence.
Distribution of ammo would be limited to military and police officials. Normal civilian would need a special permit for purchase of limited quantities to be used for personal protection and for sport (hunting, target practice, competitions, etc.)
Jobs and taxes? How many jobs are there currently that produce ammo in the US?
Wouldn't dramatically affect the metals commodity. Lead is mass produce for a multitude of other things besides production of ammo.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/388457/this-cant-be-california-democratics-banned-it/60#post_3427926
It's a lot easier to smuggle shells than guns

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/388457/this-cant-be-california-democratics-banned-it/60#post_3427951
Where does the Mexican cartels get the majority of their ammo? Cut off the source, and you cut down the violence.
Distribution of ammo would be limited to military and police officials. Normal civilian would need a special permit for purchase of limited quantities to be used for personal protection and for sport (hunting, target practice, competitions, etc.)
Jobs and taxes? How many jobs are there currently that produce ammo in the US?
Wouldn't dramatically affect the metals commodity. Lead is mass produce for a multitude of other things besides production of ammo.
Where do they get most of their ammo?

darthtang aw

Where does the Mexican cartels get the majority of their ammo?  Cut off the source, and you cut down the violence.

Distribution of ammo would be limited to military and police officials.  Normal civilian would need a special permit for purchase of limited quantities to be used for personal protection and for sport (hunting, target practice, competitions, etc.)

Jobs and taxes?  How many jobs are there currently that produce ammo in the US?

Wouldn't dramatically affect the metals commodity.  Lead is mass produce for a multitude of other things besides production of ammo. 

Brass?
ammunition jobs are in the hundred thousands...especially when you factor in the extended services that go along with it.
Currently our military has looked to private ammunition production companies because our military ammunition plants can not keep up. especially in small arms brass....with out the private ammunition companies, our military has nothing to shoot out of their guns.
What is a limited quantity?
Again, alcohol kill more people yearly than guns...should we limit the amount of alcohol a person can buy as well?

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/388457/this-cant-be-california-democratics-banned-it/60#post_3427965
Brass?
ammunition jobs are in the hundred thousands...especially when you factor in the extended services that go along with it.
Currently our military has looked to private ammunition production companies because our military ammunition plants can not keep up. especially in small arms brass....with out the private ammunition companies, our military has nothing to shoot out of their guns.
What is a limited quantity?
Again, alcohol kill more people yearly than guns...should we limit the amount of alcohol a person can buy as well?
Always with the alcohol analogy. What percentage of the population drinks alcohol as opposed the percentage of the population that owns guns? Probably at least 10,000:1. The larger the percentage, the larger the liklihood the number of deaths would be higher. There's more deaths in cars than there are by guns. Why? Because there's a million times more people traveling and driving in vehicles where they could get killed than there are people who come across a situation where they are confronted with getting shot. Put a few million guns out there for anyone and everyone to own and carry. See what your statistics will be like in 5 years. You'd probably see gun violence skyrocket over the next year, with all this Occupy Wall Street and Tea Party conflict mess going on over the POTUS election next year.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/388457/this-cant-be-california-democratics-banned-it/60#post_3427992
Always with the alcohol analogy. What percentage of the population drinks alcohol as opposed the percentage of the population that owns guns? Probably at least 10,000:1. The larger the percentage, the larger the liklihood the number of deaths would be higher. There's more deaths in cars than there are by guns. Why? Because there's a million times more people traveling and driving in vehicles where they could get killed than there are people who come across a situation where they are confronted with getting shot. Put a few million guns out there for anyone and everyone to own and carry. See what your statistics will be like in 5 years. You'd probably see gun violence skyrocket over the next year, with all this Occupy Wall Street and Tea Party conflict mess going on over the POTUS election next year.
That was a pretty absurd argument. So in the world Bionic 50,000 people getting killed by one activity aren't as significant as 7,500 people getting killed engaging in another because a lot more people do the first..... Amazing.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/388457/this-cant-be-california-democratics-banned-it/60#post_3427992
I only own one car... I won't tell you how many guns are actually just in that car...

darthtang aw

well Bionic, you seem to argue need versus public safety when it comes to this topic. so I ask....how is it different than alcohol purely from that standpoint. I can only think of one way. atleast guns in the populace have actually saved a life...cant think of a single instance when alcohol has ever done that.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/388457/this-cant-be-california-democratics-banned-it/60#post_3428005
That was a pretty absurd argument. So in the world Bionic 50,000 people getting killed by one activity aren't as significant as 7,500 people getting killed engaging in another because a lot more people do the first..... Amazing.
It's called statistics. If you have more people engaged in a dangerous activity, the liklihood of them getting hurt more often increases. Of course there's more alcohol deaths because 10,000 times more people drink than people who use firearms. To use your numbers, how many alcohol-related deaths would occur if only 7,500 people drank IN EXCESS, compared to how many accidental and non-accidental deaths would occur if 7,500 gun users used their weapons as ofen as someone drank? People drink all the time. How many people do you know that go hang out in a bar after work, and drop down a few beers with their buddies? How often do they do it? Once a week, twice? How many times does a gun owner actually use his weapon? I haven't pulled my shotgun out of my closet in 5 years. Haven't shot my pistol in over two.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/388457/this-cant-be-california-democratics-banned-it/60#post_3428023
well Bionic, you seem to argue need versus public safety when it comes to this topic. so I ask....how is it different than alcohol purely from that standpoint. I can only think of one way. atleast guns in the populace have actually saved a life...cant think of a single instance when alcohol has ever done that.
Alcohol is an antidote to Glycol poisoning...

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/388457/this-cant-be-california-democratics-banned-it/60#post_3428035
It's called statistics. If you have more people engaged in a dangerous activity, the liklihood of them getting hurt more often increases. Of course there's more alcohol deaths because 10,000 times more people drink than people who use firearms. To use your numbers, how many alcohol-related deaths would occur if only 7,500 people drank IN EXCESS, compared to how many accidental and non-accidental deaths would occur if 7,500 gun users used their weapons as ofen as someone drank? People drink all the time. How many people do you know that go hang out in a bar after work, and drop down a few beers with their buddies? How often do they do it? Once a week, twice? How many times does a gun owner actually use his weapon? I haven't pulled my shotgun out of my closet in 5 years. Haven't shot my pistol in over two.
25% of American Adults own guns. So much for your 10,000 more times number.