This is interesting.

darthtang aw

Granted I am sure we are not getting all the information. But interesting none the less.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2300568/Obama-administration-wants-DEPORT-home-schooling-family-Germany-fined-threatened-prosecution-teaching-children.html

reefraff

Of course this administration doesn't want them here. They don't fit the demographic that makes them likely Democrat voters should they gain citizenship.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
We do have to make room for more illegals fast-tracking to citizens, you know.

flower

From what I read, it looks like they fled Germany because they didn't want to pay the fines ($9000.00). Home schooling is Okay in the USA but it doesn't look like that's an option in Germany. They were not persecuted religiously as their plea for asylum indicated. They didn't like the laws of their home country, so they came here where it was legal to home school. In so doing, they skipped out on the fines. Which is not a good reason to ask for asylum.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If schools are teaching things that they religiously do not believe in, such as evolution, then it could be considered persecution for religious reasons if they are being forced. 9k for fines for your kids not attending public school?? That sounds like persecution to me.

darthtang aw

If schools are teaching things that they religiously do not believe in, such as evolution, then it could be considered persecution for religious reasons if they are being forced.  9k for fines for your kids not attending public school??  That sounds like persecution to me. 
I agree. not just evolution but sexual education as well.

crimzy

Very interesting issue. I have to side with Flower as it appears that they are fleeing the penalties imposed for breaking Germany's laws... whether those laws are right or wrong is immaterial.
But I don't this is an Obama issue or should be argued based on party lines (reefraff)... inasmuch a the government has discretion to grant asylum, shouldn't they also have broad discretion to deny it?

bang guy

If it were up to me I would send them back to Germany. They broke the law and should cowboy up and pay the fines.

crimzy

I think they'd have a better claim if they came to the states before being penalized, in order to get the freedom to home school their kids. They apparently broke a law in Germany, received consequences and simply came here to avoid the penalty. How would you feel if Germany granted asylum to someone who committed a crime in the US and fled to avoid going to prison?

darthtang aw

Very interesting issue. I have to side with Flower as it appears that they are fleeing the penalties imposed for breaking Germany's laws... whether those laws are right or wrong is immaterial.
But I don't this is an Obama issue or should be argued based on party lines (reefraff)... inasmuch a the government has discretion to grant asylum, shouldn't they also have broad discretion to deny it?
True, but asylum had been granted. It is now being revoked..................denying asylum outright is one thing. I wouldn't see an issue. But granting it than half a decade later changing your mind is another.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/395126/this-is-interesting#post_3517119
True, but asylum had been granted. It is now being revoked..................denying asylum outright is one thing. I wouldn't see an issue. But granting it than half a decade later changing your mind is another.
It is done all the time. Lots of Germans were granted asylum and later found to be part of the Nazi concentration camps...they were found out, and deported to face charges in their own country. So any time somebody gets through immigration on false pretenses, deportation is the protocol. This family dodged a $9000.00 fine for breaking the law in their country.
Personally, I agree with the family about home schooling, but they were willing to break the law in their country and that shows some (although not much IMO) character flaw. If these people were willing to break the law to do what they believed in...what would prevent them from breaking our laws, should they decide they don't agree with them? If a person flees to Mexico to get out of a fine for breaking the law in the USA, the Mexican government is supposed to send them back to pay up and get things straight here before allowing them to come back....LOL..at least in theory, I don't think they look too hard. Obviously we don't either, and look the other way quite a bit.
This family is using the media and American beliefs to manipulate and get what they want. They need to go home, pay the fines, obey the laws of their land...apply for a visa like normal folks who want to go live in another country. They have a child born in the USA, that gives them an automatic in, but they still owe their country the money on the fines they accumulated. Plenty of folks come to this country and give birth, the whole family gets to stay because Junior is an American. I feel pretty sure after this family pays up, they will be allowed back.

darthtang aw

It is done all the time. Lots of Germans were granted asylum and later found to be part of the Nazi concentration camps...they were found out, and deported to face charges in their own country. So any time somebody gets through immigration on false pretenses, deportation is the protocol. This family dodged a $9000.00 fine for breaking the law in their country.
Personally, I agree with the family about home schooling, but they were willing to break the law in their country and that shows some (although not much IMO) character flaw. If these people were willing to break the law to do what they believed in...what would prevent them from breaking our laws, should they decide they don't agree with them? If a person flees to Mexico to get out of a fine for breaking the law in the USA, the Mexican government is supposed to send them back to pay up and get things straight here before allowing them to come back....LOL..at least in theory, I don't think they look too hard. Obviously we don't either, and look the other way quite a bit. 
This family is using the media and American beliefs to manipulate and get what they want. They need to go home, pay the fines, obey the laws of their land...apply for a visa like normal folks who want to go live in another country. They have a child born in the USA, that gives them an automatic in, but they still owe their country the money on the fines they accumulated. Plenty of folks come to this country and give birth, the whole family gets to stay because Junior is an American. I feel pretty sure after this family pays up, they will be allowed back.
Yeah, the nazi's were sent back because they violated the following..
Legal Bars to Asylum
Under immigration law, the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), certain aliens are
barred from obtaining asylum. They include those who:
• Have firmly resettled in another country prior to coming to the United States;
• Have already applied for and been denied asylum, unless there are changed
circumstances that materially affect the alien’s eligibility for asylum;
• Have ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in the persecution of any
person on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social
group, or political opinion;
• Were convicted by final judgment of a particularly serious crime (including
aggravated felony convictions), and therefore constitute a danger to the
community of the United States;
• Are believed to have committed a serious nonpolitical crime outside the
United States before arriving in the United States;
• Pose a danger to the security of the United States;
• Are members or representatives of a foreign terrorist organization, unless the
Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) determines that they
are not a danger to the security of the United States; or
• Have engaged in or incited terrorist activity.
Don't see the fines imposed by Germany falling under these statutes for revocation or asylum denial.
Also, those nazi's sent back weren't granted asylum. They snuck in under false identities to gain citizenship.

reefraff

So those who think they should be sent home to face the penalty for breaking the law. What's the difference between that and countries where it's against the law to be the member of a church or oppose the government? We grant those folks asylum every day even though they knowingly broke the law.
And yes Crimzy, this is on 0bama. His people called the shot to appeal the grant of asylum just like they used imperial fiat to give illegals work permits.
As an aside I believe we are coming to the time when it will be illegal not to send your kid to private or government school in this country. I personally don't agree with how most people home school their kids but it is their right.

bang guy

They are emmigrating in order to avoid breaking the law of the country they are in, not to avoid a fine.

stdreb27

I kind of sympathise with them.
Particularly when you see why German has compulary school attendence.
The German Supreme Court has ruled that it wants to 'counteract the development of religious and philosophically motivated parallel societies,' Farris explained. 'And that's a direct quote.'
I think that is a pretty easy corrolation to make between religious persecution and a ban on home schooling. In light of that...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimzy http:///t/395126/this-is-interesting#post_3517118
I think they'd have a better claim if they came to the states before being penalized, in order to get the freedom to home school their kids. They apparently broke a law in Germany, received consequences and simply came here to avoid the penalty. How would you feel if Germany granted asylum to someone who committed a crime in the US and fled to avoid going to prison?
Is not paying fees really a crime?? They don't want their kids in public school. They were providing the education at home. Germany, being the nanny state that it is, charged $9k! These fees would no doubt continue to mount up if these people did not comply with the nanny state (Germany).
No mention of them being tax evaders, so I suppose they are already paying the school in the form of taxes for not having their kids attend.