Updates on new SW tank

arkey.d

Originally posted by woodymdt
So the actinics stay on ALL throughout the daylight hours.....gotcha.
Is that to help with the light sprectrum and getting the light deeper into the tank?

Yep, and your LR looks awsome!

woodymdt

The lighting system sits about 4 inches above the tank....what about the opening?
Should I get a piece of glass cut as a tank cover so dust and stuff, and possibly the cats, don't get into the water??

woodymdt

One other thing to notice, although I didnt see it this morning....last night we saw these very thin thread like white strips coming out of a rock....counted at least four to six of them....they'd go out, lay on the rock, and then pull back into the hole......
I'll try and get a shot of them this evening....but they're not out this morning....
very mesmerizing stuff!!!:jumping:

arkey.d

Originally posted by woodymdt
The lighting system sits about 4 inches above the tank....what about the opening?
Should I get a piece of glass cut as a tank cover so dust and stuff, and possibly the cats, don't get into the water??
I use a glass canopy on top of my SWA, to protect it from the cats, birds and dust and so it doesn't evaporate as fast. There are quite a few people that just keep it uncoverded or use eggcrate on top because of heat build up that would occure with there VHO or MH light fixtures. My Orbit sits 4" above the tank too and runs very cool so I don't have that problem. Up to you which you want to do...

woodymdt

Originally posted by arkey.d
I use a glass canopy on top of my SWA, to protect it from the cats, birds and dust and so it doesn't evaporate as fast. There are quite a few people that just keep it uncoverded or use eggcrate on top because of heat build up that would occure with there VHO or MH light fixtures. My Orbit sits 4" above the tank too and runs very cool so I don't have that problem. Up to you which you want to do...

Thanks Arkey, I think I'll go with the glass canopy. Just a trip to my local glass company with the measurements and that will be that. Just have to get the measurements right so the glass will fit around the Emporer filter.

arkey.d

I paid $17.95 each for 2 24" AllGlass canopies from *****. Although it took them a month to get me two that were not broken! I paid more for them than if I would have got them at Drs Foster and Smith ($12), but I didn't want to risk them being broken... good thing I didn't after seeing the couple broken ones at *****.

woodymdt

I paid $17.95 each for 2 24" AllGlass canopies from *****. Although it took them a month to get me two that were not broken! I paid more for them than if I would have got them at Drs Foster and Smith ($12), but I didn't want to risk them being broken... good thing I didn't after seeing the couple broken ones at *****.

Really? So ***** and other companies already made the canopies? So I just have to make sure of my tank specs and then pick out the size I need? That'd be cool.

arkey.d

Yep, for my 55gal with the center brace it took 2 24"s. The canopies have a hinge in the middle and come with a handle and plastic to cut around filters and stuff.......

woodymdt

Yep, for my 55gal with the center brace it took 2 24"s. The canopies have a hinge in the middle and come with a handle and plastic to cut around filters and stuff.......

Oh well that's MUCHO better than having a glass company to do it.
I'll check out my LFS's and see if they have the glass tops either in stock, or I'll order it online.

woodymdt

Ok, we're going to get 15-20lb of live rock tomorrow at an LFS dealer locally. They have Marshall Island rock and Gulf rock....
anyone have anything good or bad thoughts about either of those two types of rock??

M

mike6969n

sounds like you are moving along pretty quickly there woody, what are your parameters now. just curious since we started about the same time. rock looks great btw.

woodymdt

Originally posted by mike6969n
sounds like you are moving along pretty quickly there woody, what are your parameters now. just curious since we started about the same time. rock looks great btw.

Thanks Mike.
My last readings were on Wednesday morning, and I had the following:
SG was at 1.023
PH was holding steady at 8.2
Ammonia had risen to .50
Nitrites had risen just a bit to .25
I'm going to do another set of readings in the morning, then we're going to go to a local LFS for another 15-20lb of LR...then tomorrow evening I'll do another set of readings.
I put in two shrimp on Monday evening. One is completely decomposed as of this morning. The other one is about 3/4 decomposed, so I'm guessing another couple days and it will be gone as well.

M

mike6969n

sounds like we are right on schedule, i started my tank up fri night and i used 3 shrimp in mine, i added 10.25 lbs of lr sat and another 10 lbs of lr yesterday, i used 50 lbs of playsand and 30 lbs of ls (added first day), i am using a aqua clear 75 wet/dry w/mag drive 250. looking at getting 2 900 maxijet powerheads wed, and prob about 10 more lbs of lr, and 20 lbs of ls. i did another et of tests this morning and these are my results.
salinity- between 1.023 & 1.024
ph- 8.2
ammonia- 8.0
nitrite- .25
nitrate- 5.0
sounds like we are right on track. by the way does anyone have any advise about community lr, my lfs has a couple of really pretty pieces about 2-3 lbs a piece for 11.99 a lb can i add those on wed or should i wait/ they have been curing for over 6 mths. just a ? not trying to rush just thought they would make a nice addition to my reef.

arkey.d

Sure, You can add them as long as it's cured..... I think this is becomming a world record, the longest thread.

M

mike6969n

i know what you mean it just keeps getting longer and longer, but since there are several of us starting up at the same time, it has answered a lot of ?'s that we all have had. it is much easier to read one thread and follow along than it is to read a dozen different ones. glad to here that i can add the community rock, it is really beautiful and i could use the small peices to make a couple of swim throughs for my fish. thanks dan

woodymdt

i know what you mean it just keeps getting longer and longer, but since there are several of us starting up at the same time, it has answered a lot of ?'s that we all have had. it is much easier to read one thread and follow along than it is to read a dozen different ones.
One thing I've learned in forums that I've been on in the past, is to try and keep the same one going, that way you don't have to "SEARCH" the other forums for answers or past questions when things come up, as I'm sure they will. As long as I keep having questions, I'm going to keep putting them here, along with my tank updates and "finds".
This may be a record for here, but on a football forum I frequent, there are a number of threads that have over 20,000 views, and over 10,000 replies.
glad to here that i can add the community rock, it is really beautiful and i could use the small peices to make a couple of swim throughs for my fish. thanks dan
$11.99 per pound? That seems a little steep doesn't it? The most I've seen LR go for is $9.99 a pound, but hey if it's pretty and it will go well in your tank, then why not!!!!!

mkcsil18

yeah at first I didn't want to chime in on this thread but I figured it would be better to ask questions on this one then start a new one... :D thanks for letting me tag along there woody :jumping:
Plus alot of my questions were answered as well.... thanks to everyone.