Bigger is better? Lets try 475 gallons...Tangs gonna be happy!

tangs rule

O - the lawnmower is named "jabba the blenny"
The 4 stars were out feeding last night - good sign. If they continue to do well, there are 3 skunk cleaners that'll come over this weekend. I think I've finally found another pfo light fixture - it'll be late next week before I can fire it up, but that'll get me 3ea 400w 20k german (Radium) bulbs over it, and there are 3ea 250w running now and I eventually can bring over 2 more 250w units if needed.
The fuge is doing well - LOTS of macro growth:

It's on about a 16 hour daylight cycle. There's a BUNCH of tiny white fanworms (tiny white calcium tubes - on left) that were on the fuge pump when it came over from an existing refugium - they are doing great too. I hope they grow and fill up the return cavity in here like they have done before - with hundreds of them in such a small space - that's great filtration!

1guydude

ummmm..wow! I like my little bowfront dont get me wrong....but THATS A FISH TANK LOL. I only gandered at ur last page here and it seems like ur doing an awsome job! Good job and keep up the good work!!!! Im gonna have to look at this every now and again to keep my dreams going.....dont wanna be caught in reality for to long.

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/384145/bigger-is-better-lets-try-475-gallons-tangs-gonna-be-happy/200#post_3378090
ummmm..wow! I like my little bowfront dont get me wrong....but THATS A FISH TANK LOL. I only gandered at ur last page here
and it seems like ur doing an awsome job! Good job and keep up the good work!!!! Im gonna have to look at this every now and again to keep my dreams going.....dont wanna be caught in reality for to long.

You should at least check out the 1st page, 10th post.....The pics of the empty tank in the back of the truck is still funny as heck methinks.

al&burke

Tangs rule this is really inspirational, my dream reef tank I think would be 3' x 3' x 20" - someday man - and viewed from all 4 sides.

1guydude

Quote:
You should at least check out the 1st page, 10th post.....
will do!
Quote:
and viewed from all 4 sides.
+1

tangs rule

Comming Attractions:
on order we have comming for tuesday morn-
1ea Hovens wrasse - melanurus wrasse
1ea sixline wrasse
1ea pinkbar goby
1ea coral beauty
1ea sailfin blenny
1ea firefish
4ea mangroves
1ea toadstool leather mushroom coral large
1ea derasa clam 1.5-2"
1ea Cook Islands First Grade Maxima Clam (ultra blue) 2"
My fish dealer is looking for 2 very special fish to likely wrap up the large fish selection of the 475 system. Not 100% set on these, but I have kept them before in a reef, and I was able to maintain them for a couple years. Zanclus cornutus (moorish idol pair). I had excellent luck with the pair I had several years ago, they ate everything the tangs do, including sheet alage off a veggie clip, as well as frozen angel foods. Sadly I lost them in a parasite breakout that entered the tank thru some live foods. I am aware of the difficult nature of this species, but have kept them before. Or I may still go the corsshatch trigger pair route. It will be a couple months, as I must get the 2 groups of fish in Qtine out of and into isolation for a month then into the 475.
The current group in Qtine is doing awesome. couple more weeks they can come out and go into one of the fallow mains for observation for a month or so - then into the 475 by early June.
Lookikng at getting the cabinet doors on the stand soon - it'll look SO much better then...... will post pics of the new arrivals and progress next week.

desertdawg

A friend here with a 300 gallon had a beautiful Morish Idol, ate tons of algae. Sadly he lost everything a couple of months ago so he's starting over.
Can't wait to see the pictures as you stock that monster...

a&a2

The small tank on the left will be the refugium. I decided on a seperate sump&fuge. The sump holds the skimmer/heaters/calcium reactor, and I wanted a dedicated refugium, so I got a little 25g tall tank. Water from the main tank overflow will dump right into the fuge and then get pumped over to the sump by a quiet one 4000, where it can be returned to the main.

For rock, i'll be using the rock I already have, 130# of huge dry base rock, and when I have an empty small (100g) main - I'll get another couple hunderd pounds in 100# increments and cure it off for 6 weeks / batch so I can put it directly into the main after curing and Qitne....
Why separate the two?

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A2 http:///forum/thread/384145/bigger-is-better-lets-try-475-gallons-tangs-gonna-be-happy/200#post_3379198
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangs rule http:///forum/thread/384145/bigger-is-better-lets-try-475-gallons-tangs-gonna-be-happy/40#post_3368333
The small tank on the left will be the refugium. I decided on a seperate sump&fuge. The sump holds the skimmer/heaters/calcium reactor, and I wanted a dedicated refugium, so I got a little 25g tall tank. Water from the main tank overflow will dump right into the fuge and then get pumped over to the sump by a quiet one 4000, where it can be returned to the main.
For rock, i'll be using the rock I already have, 130# of huge dry base rock, and when I have an empty small (100g) main - I'll get another couple hunderd pounds in 100# increments and cure it off for 6 weeks / batch so I can put it directly into the main after curing and Qitne....
Why separate the two?

Space. The sump is only a 75g tank and with the skimmer, calc reactor, dual filter socks, and stuff - there wasn't a nice large area for good macro growth & mangroves. Plus with no light over the sump - it should never become laden with alage growths - coralline or green.. Also the extra volume of the other tank totally ensures there'll never be an overfill in the bottom of the stand in a power outage. Even when the main is totally filled and the power dies - there's still 20 gallons empty volume between the sump&fuge after the DT drains to it's lowest point.

a&a2

Comming Attractions:

on order we have comming for tuesday morn-
1ea Hovens wrasse - melanurus wrasse
1ea sixline wrasse
1ea pinkbar goby
1ea coral beauty
1ea sailfin blenny
1ea firefish
4ea mangroves
1ea toadstool leather mushroom coral large
1ea derasa clam 1.5-2"
1ea Cook Islands First Grade Maxima Clam (ultra blue) 2"

My fish dealer is looking for 2 very special fish to likely wrap up the large fish selection of the 475 system. Not 100% set on these, but I have kept them before in a reef, and I was able to maintain them for a couple years. Zanclus cornutus (moorish idol pair). I had excellent luck with the pair I had several years ago, they ate everything the tangs do, including sheet alage off a veggie clip, as well as frozen angel foods. Sadly I lost them in a parasite breakout that entered the tank thru some live foods. I am aware of the difficult nature of this species, but have kept them before. Or I may still go the corsshatch trigger pair route. It will be a couple months, as I must get the 2 groups of fish in Qtine out of and into isolation for a month then into the 475.

The current group in Qtine is doing awesome. couple more weeks they can come out and go into one of the fallow mains for observation for a month or so - then into the 475 by early June.

Lookikng at getting the cabinet doors on the stand soon - it'll look SO much better then...... will post pics of the new arrivals and progress next week.
How big is your QT tank?

tangs rule

I've several tanks running - the fish received today went into a 30gal Qtine/hospital (pics comming this evening)
The fish received 2 weeks ago are in a 20g Qtine/hospital and doin great.
The inverts received today went into the remainder of my reef, which is now in a 75g tank with no fish
There are still some misc. fish (maroon clown, a blue damsel) in a 90g, and other fish (a single ocellaris and blue damsel) in a bare 125g (which used to be the reef). When the fish in Qtine are ready, they go into these tanks for observation for another month - 6 weeks so I'LL NEVER HAVE TO CATCH TANGS IN A 475G.
I've got a 75g DAS running bare - am going to add more sand/rock and it'll be a peacock mantis shrimp dedicated tank (nice 3/8" thick glass) later this year.
And then theres about 6 or so dry tanks from 10-55gal
As you can see, my addiction to swf is under total control
only 1/2 the tanks I have are running. lol

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannifish http:///forum/thread/384145/bigger-is-better-lets-try-475-gallons-tangs-gonna-be-happy/200#post_3380660
What ever happened to the pics coming this evening?
Sorry - a major delay in updates overall....There was a very close lightining strike (hit the house) last week and there was a power spike that ran through some of the tanks. This is likely the cause of the loss of the pink stripped goby (who lept out of the 30g Qtine tank) and was found on the floor hours later. he's gone.
There was also some voltage that ran thru my 75g (Which I saw when it lit up blue) - but there was no fish in there when the strike happened. It looked like a blue flashbulb went off in the 75g when the stirke happened last week. Damndest thing I ever saw!!! Likely the grounding rod in the 75g tank actually provided a reverse current discharge to a powerhead (which is now trash, cause it provides wall current into the tank) ......... Here's the fellas in Qtine as of 10 minutes ago:
(coral beauty, 6line, melanurus, and firefish)

(butterfly, navarchus, tang, and 2nd 6line)

(the melanurus wrasse in close - a stunningly pretty fish)

Dropping the salt level to 1.009 was very hard on the melanurus. It took 6 days to do it, and if you dropped it too much he'd lay on his side and gasp/look dead...yuo can bet when the SG comes back up - it'll happen over atleast a week+.
475g update comming later 2day with pics
Both of the 2 rockskipper blennies are just fine too, they are not in the pics, 1 in each Qtine tank.