Bigger is better? Lets try 475 gallons...Tangs gonna be happy!

1snapple

That sucks about the melanurus wrasse. I don't have an ATO and the relatively large salinity swings from top offs at night don't seem to affect any of the fish adversly. Although, the clownfish try to eat it?

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Snapple http:///forum/thread/384145/bigger-is-better-lets-try-475-gallons-tangs-gonna-be-happy/240#post_3384580
That sucks about the melanurus wrasse. I don't have an ATO and the relatively large salinity swings from top offs at night don't seem to affect any of the fish adversly. Although, the clownfish try to eat it?
I'm sorry I lost him snap. That was a great suggestion, they are a very pretty fish, and this one had a great temperment. Salinity going down seemed harder on him than comming up and either way, I only adjust by .002 - .003 /day, by changing it ~.001 in the AM and again in the PM. It's pretty rare for me to loose a fish so late in the qtine stage after they survive parasite erradication over 3-4 weeks or so. I was really looking fwd to seeing him in the 475 oneday.

tangs rule

Finally have 3 400watt and 3 250 watt units running over it. Looks FANTASTIC

A Derasa clam (between galaxea and some starburst polyp)

The Gang of Five (tangs)

Pink birdsnest, Pagoda cup, and some Acropora:

It's a happy tank!

tangs rule

Some of the NEW additions (in coral/invert Qtine 75g tank)
A HUGE blue linckia star - over 12" in diameter

A rainbow ricordea mushroom:

Echinopora - Sprung's Stunner

A nice red sea fan and Blue Chalice Echinopora (rt corner)

A stunning purple LTA:

tangs rule

More new additions
The purple undata (lt) and a very bright & nice orange plate coral (rt):

Plus some hammer frags:

And a nice 7" dia toadstool mushroom (rt) & a little candy cane (lt):

1guydude

OMG U ARE THE MAN!!!! UR MY INSPIRATION!!!! I WANT UR TANK LOL!!!!! seriously though great job man on everything!

U say sm candycane lol mine is a lot smaller than that, mine only has like 3 heads!

tangs rule

deejeff - define "flat" - lol !!
1Snapple - I don't know if the different color stars would fight, but I'd doubt it.
Thank You Meow & 1guy - it's been an awful lot of work, and there's still so much to do!
All the "new" fish are still in their isolation tanks for 3-4 more weeks. Then they go into the 475. All the new corals/inverts seen above stay in Qtine for 2-3 more weeks, then they go over. I bought another skimmer for the 475, since I am vertically challenged inside the stand and cannot get one of those massive 4foot tall types - I thought more skimming could not hurt.
Thanks all for following! Now if it could just grow coral at like 4x rate and fill this thing out!!

1snapple

Oh and tang, I would recommend getting a melanurus wrasse ASAP if you can, If the sixline gets in there early enough he will take control of the entire tank and harass the melanurus relentlessly.
Also, if you don't get him in fast enough get a larger one.
I have noticed my melanurus wrasse is always mellow and never agressive at all. When i get into the tank, glueing frags and whatnot he is always there checking for bugs and fallowing my hand

I just wish i could get one for my soon to be 18g cube, just not enough space though,

2quills

Tank is coming along nicely. BTW going by the dimensions you posted at the beginning of the thread 96x36x36 I get a total of 538 gallons. You sure that tank is a 475? Either way, it's a beast!

tangs rule

Yeah - it's some thick glass (3/4") - the outside dimensions are 96x36x37tall - but the inside dimensions are 94.25x34.25x34.5tall. The inside height is from the bottom to the middle of the overflow box grill. The bottom is very thick, like 1" glass with dual 1/4" ABS plastic shields on the top&bottom. So total tank volume is like 480, less substrate & rock.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangs rule http:///forum/thread/384145/bigger-is-better-lets-try-475-gallons-tangs-gonna-be-happy/240#post_3385562
Yeah - it's some thick glass (3/4") - the outside dimensions are 96x36x37tall - but the inside dimensions are 94.25x34.25x34.5tall. The inside height is from the bottom to the middle of the overflow box grill. The bottom is very thick, like 1" glass with dual 1/4" ABS plastic shields on the top&bottom. So total tank volume is like 480, less substrate & rock.
Gotcha, I guess I'm just not used to adding up volume for tanks that have glass thick enough to stop a bullet.

tangs rule

I've only been inside it once when it was dry - but in order to actually reach the center bottom with my hands, I gotta get a snorkel, goggles and up on the 3rd step of a 6' ladder and lean over into it and actually "dip" my head&shoulders into the water a bit. It's funny as hell and next time I do it, I'll get somebody to take a picture. It makes a heck of a mess though, as when I come out, water drips everywhere, so first I gotta lay beach towles all over the floor and tape one up on the side of the tank I'm working on to keep water from running down into the stand. Luckily I've only had to do this twice so far.

tangs rule

The next goal is to get the 2 sets of fish in isolation now, over in the 475 - only 3 weeks to go. And at the same time, all the coral frags/blue star/inverts from the invert Qtine tank can go over too. Then comes some planning on what to do next - likely some more dry base rock, as the dry rock I started this with is now getting some real nice purple spots on it. Am keeping the calcium kinda high, but the tank is finally beggining to eat it up......about time to fire up the calcium reactor and controller! Then things should really take off.