Gas Prices

mylady

Hey, it could always be worse. When I started my business 3 years ago diesel was over $5 a gallon. So I'm not going to complain just yet at $3.65 a gallon.

reefraff

So open up a fast food joint and recycle the fryer grease into biodiesel. I think it runs about 80 cents a gallon after the price of the still.

monsinour

So the van is a 7.3 and we dont know the gear ratios. THe bad news is that he got word of the recall and didnt do a thing about it. We are supposed to take care of it tomorrow. Gas went up here, its $3.29 outside of atlanta. Diesel was $3.49, but now its $3.69. I so hope this new van gets more than 10 MPG.

reefraff

Thats good it's a 7.3. I am getting ready to trade mine in because I really don't pull the trailer enough to warrant owning a diesel anymore. 2002 with 52K on it. The dealers are slobbering all over themselves trying to make me a deal because the demand for 7.3's are so high. Great engines. In my case a couple normal aging repairs led to my decision. Being disabled there isn't much I am able to wrench on and they rape you on minor repairs on these things. Just makes more sense to get a gasser in my case.
There are some tweaks you can do to help the mileage if it's really bad. Several Ford truck forums on the net with lots of info. I added a bigger exhaust and a AFE air intake which helped. It's also pretty easy to put a chip in them as well. In mine doing that and using an external programmer which does about what the chip does got me an extra couple MPG's around town and a bunch on the highway but I am not sure how much any of that would help that big old beast.

darthtang aw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/384064/gas-prices/60#post_3364302
So the van is a 7.3 and we dont know the gear ratios. THe bad news is that he got word of the recall and didnt do a thing about it. We are supposed to take care of it tomorrow. Gas went up here, its $3.29 outside of atlanta. Diesel was $3.49, but now its $3.69. I so hope this new van gets more than 10 MPG.
Is this vehicle paid for already?

S

smartorl

I think he's heading in the direction of your profits going into the gas tank. Too bad you can't groom with a Smartcar!

darthtang aw

I think he's heading in the direction of your profits going into the gas tank. Too bad you can't groom with a Smartcar!
That as well as wondering how some of these surprises (mpg) are showing up. Last time I purchased a vehicle out of state...we made sure we knew all the pertinant info before I flew out. You seem really shocked and concerned by the mpg. Concern, I understand...but if I understand correctly the mpg isn't what you were expecting......my not be to late to back out if the long term cost isn't worth it.

mrdc

Speaking of mpg, what are you getting?
I get around 22
Wifey gets around the same
The truck that just sits there gets 10

oscardeuce

I have been seeing these windmill kind of gadgets on roofs with solar panels, now mind you the government still taxes them for using the sunsine but it's cheaper than $600.00 a month for sure. OMG I was crying over $224.00 last smmer.

stdreb27,  There are other power sources besides oil, you just want the quick fix. We need to quit relying on the crazies in the Middle East for anything. I will gladly pay $4.00 a gallon for gas (we are going there anyway)…as long as it is American gas… in no time at all foreign oil will be cheap as cheap can be, and as long as they keep the prices way down…we will deal with them…Just to be nice. Our problem is we are paying top dollar to them an they are calling the shots.
Flower, what "other power sources" do you mean?
I live in north east Ohio, solar will not work here, and for the near future is more expense and less efficient. We can continue to turn food into ethanol. This only pushes food prices up, and is still less efficient than gasoline.
Nuclear? Not under Obama
The only real hope for efficient plentiful power is fusion. We've been trying for years to harness the stars. Now we plug in our cars to charge with electricity made with coal. How "green" is that? Fusion would only exhaust He which is light enough to leave the atmosphere.
Until then ( fusion) we are stuck with oil as the main source. We can try solar, fission, and other alternate sources, but in my opinion( I am a chemist by initial training) until we have a functional fusion reactor we need to buy time with responsible drilling of oil. There is some data that oil is renewable to some extent too. This buys us the time to develop fusion.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/384064/gas-prices#post_3363376
I have been seeing these windmill kind of gadgets on roofs with solar panels, now mind you the government still taxes them for using the sunsine but it's cheaper than $600.00 a month for sure. OMG I was crying over $224.00 last smmer.
stdreb27, There are other power sources besides oil, you just want the quick fix. We need to quit relying on the crazies in the Middle East for anything. I will gladly pay $4.00 a gallon for gas (we are going there anyway)…as long as it is American gas… in no time at all foreign oil will be cheap as cheap can be, and as long as they keep the prices way down…we will deal with them…Just to be nice. Our problem is we are paying top dollar to them an they are calling the shots.
What in the world? All "alternative" energy "options" such as solar, and wind, are HEAVILY subsidized. Sure they charge you sales tax, but the fed's have already paid for a good percentage of the product. Otherwise, they wouldn't exist.
Why in the world would I pay more for less? No seriously, quick fix? I don't understand. The problem isn't oil, the problem is that the government won't let us go get it, because of bad science, and fraudulent data. There is no way in the world you'll ever convince me that filling a car full of TOXIC batteries, is ever going to be more environmentally friendly than a gas powered car who's exhaust is predominately the same thing the VAST MAJORITY of life on this planet needs to survive...
Seriously think how INSANE the "green" argument is. We are polluting our air with CO2, we must reduce our emissions so that the planet doesn't heat up and melt the ice caps, then freeze out the world again. (not that it hasn't several times in observable history without any help from us.) however ALL flora on this planet requires this "pollutant" for photosynthesis. It is BASS ACKWARDS!!!!
What other sources of power are there? No seriously, what is a VIABLE alternative to the internal combustion motor?

reefraff

We have businesses here in Colorado whining right now because the power company wants to cut back the subsidies they are required to pay (at the expense of we rate payers) to those who install solar panels. Oh, those businesses? They are the solar companies who say they will have to lay off a lot of their workforce if the subsidies are cut.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///forum/thread/384064/gas-prices/60#post_3364999
We have businesses here in Colorado whining right now because the power company wants to cut back the subsidies they are required to pay (at the expense of we rate payers) to those who install solar panels. Oh, those businesses? They are the solar companies who say they will have to lay off a lot of their workforce if the subsidies are cut.
Just look at it as more government employed workers, after all it is just laundered money... One giant money laundering operation...

bionicarm

How's it hangin' in saltwater world. See not much has changed.
Just got back from another Middle East/European Tour, and was kinda surprised at the change in gas prices. Guess I can't complain too much that I'm paying $3.19 down the street. I was filling up in Frankfurt last week, and paid $5.57/gallon US.
I see they lifted the moratorium on deep-water drilling today. Maybe that'll bring the price down a couple of cents (insert sarcasm).
http://www.ksat.com/money/27027870/detail.html

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/384064/gas-prices/60#post_3365257
How's it hangin' in saltwater world. See not much has changed.
Just got back from another Middle East/European Tour, and was kinda surprised at the change in gas prices. Guess I can't complain too much that I'm paying $3.19 down the street. I was filling up in Frankfurt last week, and paid $5.57/gallon US.
I see they lifted the moratorium on deep-water drilling today. Maybe that'll bring the price down a couple of cents (insert sarcasm).
http://www.ksat.com/money/27027870/detail.html
The problem is, that well is 3-4 years out of production... Assuming it hits...
I was wondering where you were, I drove through SA last weekend.