I got the bug....

flower

Quote:Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/320#post_3495494
It all depends at where I am financially and career wise at the time of the move. I am leaning towards staying in Jersey for the moment, but I like to flip flop.
Weird. 
I have smilies. I am going to try and get video tonight. 

I called customer support, it seems some file or something is corrupted (I don't really understand what the problem is) the error said my "argument file size is specified empty"....Whatever that means, if I remember the error right..................Whatever is wrong it's affecting all computers I try and log on with, EXCEPT my touch screen Xoom, so it must be something on the SWF site or it wouldn't affect all computers...................anyway....................I'm waiting on that video

gemmy

I give up. I lost another horse. I have no idea why. The horse was active and eating the night before.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/340#post_3496582
I give up. I lost another horse. I have no idea why. The horse was active and eating the night before.
I'm so sorry....
You give up??? Was it your last horse? Did I miss something? Last I knew you were going to try and show us some videos, I didn't know you were having mystery die off issues.

gemmy

It is the second horse that I have lost. I still have two. I am just FRUSTRATED. I don't think I will be adding anymore until after the holidays. I am going to see if these two make it. I don't have much hope. The horses act fine and then just die.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/340#post_3496590
It is the second horse that I have lost. I still have two. I am just FRUSTRATED. I don't think I will be adding anymore until after the holidays. I am going to see if these two make it. I don't have much hope. The horses act fine and then just die.

That's why I'm waiting before I replace Fred too. When a critter dies for no reason it just hangs in your mind and all the what ifs...I'm so sorry, seahorses are fish puppies, of all the fish I ever had, loosing one of them was the worst. {{{Cyber hug}}}

novahobbies

Oh, geez, I'm so sorry!! I hate when any of my finned pets die, and with seahorses (sorry, it's just true) they hit you doubly hard....they're much easier to "bond" with than other fish. I'm really sorry for your loss.....

Can you tell us any of the current tank parameters? Is the chemistry and temp in line??

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/340#post_3496635
Oh, geez, I'm so sorry!! I hate when any of my finned pets die, and with seahorses (sorry, it's just true) they hit you doubly hard....they're much easier to "bond" with than other fish. I'm really sorry for your loss.....

Can you tell us any of the current tank parameters? Is the chemistry and temp in line??
Everything is in line.
Ammonia: Zero
Nitrites: 0
Nitrate: 10 (tank is due for water change)
I just tested those today. The temp runs at 73. I even had to add a heater to maintain the temp.

novahobbies

SO strange. And the horse was eating? Even with most internal diseases, they do tend to go off their food for the last day or two....

novahobbies

You know, this sort of disease wiped out my H. reidi tank a few years back. My suspicion was a fast-moving vibrio or mycobacterium infection; either are deadly and can move through the internal systems with shocking speed. But both are often only able to take hold when tank conditions drop...for my part, I was rearranging the tank and re-aquascaping, and I felt that I "stirred something up." I can't say why yours would have this problem with good water conditions and no recent overhauls...
Again, I'm just so sorry. I know how heartbreaking this is.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/340#post_3496658
You know, this sort of disease wiped out my H. reidi tank a few years back. My suspicion was a fast-moving vibrio or mycobacterium infection; either are deadly and can move through the internal systems with shocking speed. But both are often only able to take hold when tank conditions drop...for my part, I was rearranging the tank and re-aquascaping, and I felt that I "stirred something up." I can't say why yours would have this problem with good water conditions and no recent overhauls...
Again, I'm just so sorry. I know how heartbreaking this is.
Thanks! I am just stumped. Both horses that I have lost have been males. I have never seen issues with the pouch or anything strange with them. I don't do much futzing around with the tank besides water changes, which are done bi-weekly. The parameters never really fluctuate. The only weird thing is that both times when the horses died it was in the same corner of the tank. I am taking out the plastic plant that was near them.
The other two horses are doing awesome and look great. They both were just hanging upside down from the feeding dish. They have a ton of personality.

flower

I remember your seahorse mystery Meowzer, I was afraid for a long time to even try seahorses after seeing what happened with yours.
Gemmy...I hope whatever caused their death stops, and the remaining ones stay just like they are right now. Seahorses are wonderful critters...I call them fish puppies because they learn to come to a dish for feeding, and they sure do have such great personalities.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/340#post_3496661
Thanks! I am just stumped. Both horses that I have lost have been males. I have never seen issues with the pouch or anything strange with them. I don't do much futzing around with the tank besides water changes, which are done bi-weekly. The parameters never really fluctuate. The only weird thing is that both times when the horses died it was in the same corner of the tank. I am taking out the plastic plant that was near them.
The other two horses are doing awesome and look great. They both were just hanging upside down from the feeding dish. They have a ton of personality.
Krista, could you please take a front facing FTS of your tank, then tell us (or circle if you can) where you found the horses dead? Also, let us know if you observed any trauma to the horses....anything that might have indicate predation.....

gemmy

Rick, I will do that. The first horse that died was completely in tact with no obvious signs of trauma. The second horse had no stomach, just a skeleton.

novahobbies

OK, I have a couple thoughts here....
First of all, can you run a piece of rigid tubing down that side of the tank into that bottom corner? Those areas look like they would behave like the back corners of my column tank....typically low-flow and possibly very low-oxygen areas of the tank. If a seahorse chooses a place like that at night, they might not have the sense to move to a more oxygen-rich part of the tank. They would literally just drift off to sleep....for good. I think if this was my tank I would start by adding two bubblers, one on either side in each rear corner, to encourage some water flow in those areas.
I also admit I am worried about that eaten horse you mentioned. What do you think would have reduced a seahorse to a near-skeleton (I'm assuming this was a more or less overnight event)? Even bristle worms would have had a hard time doing that in one night. As much as I am a fan of the foam aquascaping (obviously....) it does have one potential drawback. If a large predatory worm gets into our tank from, say, a piece of coral-encrusted live rock, it would have a grand old time burrowing in the foam of our 'scaping. Might make it very hard to ever find, in fact. I don't know about yours, but my horse tank has a very healthy population of bristles...some very large....that come out of the foam columns during dinner time. I suck them up with the siphon whenever I find them during water changes, but....there are nastier polychaetes that sometimes come in on our rocks than the generally benign bristle worm.
Just something to think about. Since one died with no obvious trauma, I'm more inclined to look at the O2 level first, but I just wanted you to have the possible predator idea in the back of your head. Might be worth checking out late at night with a red flashlight.
Finally. Look at the horse in your last pic. Is it just the flash or reflection.....or is there a snout rot thing going on there? Looks white, compared to the rest of the horse in the the picture.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/340#post_3496830
OK, I have a couple thoughts here....
First of all, can you run a piece of rigid tubing down that side of the tank into that bottom corner? Those areas look like they would behave like the back corners of my column tank....typically low-flow and possibly very low-oxygen areas of the tank. If a seahorse chooses a place like that at night, they might not have the sense to move to a more oxygen-rich part of the tank. They would literally just drift off to sleep....for good. I think if this was my tank I would start by adding two bubblers, one on either side in each rear corner, to encourage some water flow in those areas.
I also admit I am worried about that eaten horse you mentioned. What do you think would have reduced a seahorse to a near-skeleton (I'm assuming this was a more or less overnight event)? Even bristle worms would have had a hard time doing that in one night. As much as I am a fan of the foam aquascaping (obviously....) it does have one potential drawback. If a large predatory worm gets into our tank from, say, a piece of coral-encrusted live rock, it would have a grand old time burrowing in the foam of our 'scaping. Might make it very hard to ever find, in fact. I don't know about yours, but my horse tank has a very healthy population of bristles...some very large....that come out of the foam columns during dinner time. I suck them up with the siphon whenever I find them during water changes, but....there are nastier polychaetes that sometimes come in on our rocks than the generally benign bristle worm.
Just something to think about. Since one died with no obvious trauma, I'm more inclined to look at the O2 level first, but I just wanted you to have the possible predator idea in the back of your head. Might be worth checking out late at night with a red flashlight.
Finally. Look at the horse in your last pic. Is it just the flash or reflection.....or is there a snout rot thing going on there? Looks white, compared to the rest of the horse in the the picture.
Thanks for the insight! I will get the rigid tubing tomorrow. After what you said, I think the bottom portion of the tank would benefit from more flow.
Here is what happened I fed the horses around 11:30 Friday night. All were accounted for and eating. They were pretty active as well. Saturday I had some things going on and did not even turn the light on or look at the tank. I know I am a bad owner. :( Around 12 AM I decide to turn the lights on and wait an hour or so to feed the horses. An hour later I feed the horses and discover the dead one. The dead one's head and body was in tact but not the pouch area it was gone and in that area you could see the skeleton. The tank does not have any corals. I had a rock that I dipped in hypersalinity for an hour. I did have a leather coral that had leather eating nudibranches but that came on a frag plug. Hitchhikers may have come in with my macros. I will keep an eye out.
The horse in my last pic is my original female. She likes to change from a light gray to black. She does this gradually. I checked her snout and to me it looks perfect. It is lighter than her face. I will take more pics to get your opinion. She is also my "happy snicker". She snicks her food quite loudly and attacks the feeding tube like crazy. I sure hope its not snout rot.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/387854/i-got-the-bug/340#post_3496835
The horse in my last pic is my original female. She likes to change from a light gray to black. She does this gradually. I checked her snout and to me it looks perfect. It is lighter than her face. I will take more pics to get your opinion. She is also my "happy snicker". She snicks her food quite loudly and attacks the feeding tube like crazy. I sure hope its not snout rot.
Ah, OK, good. Like I aid I wasn't sure...it was just the way the photograph was looking. Yes, I'd efinitely start with adjusting the flow in those corners.