SocalNano24s Tank Diary

nissan577

its known reason they grow like that its cause they are not getting flow. so by them growing upwards is because they want flow

nissan577

the growth has nothing to do with the flow. all im saying if they go upwards is cause they want flow. now if they grow flat and grow shelves then its cause they are getting nice amount of flow.

gill again68

Ok so I may be the dumb one....I thought that they would grow upward seeking more light. Is this not true? I also thought that the flow would increase the thickness with a harder flow and less with less flow??

socalnano24

From what I understand there's plating monti and shelf monti, I don't think they are considered the same variety. The shelving kind always looks different, almost like little mountains of terrain with lots of irregularities, the plating kind is basically flat with the scrolled edges being the pronounced shape. My tank has pretty decent flow in it, and the flow shoots right over the top of the monti so I don't think its reaching for anything in particular other than light.
Either way, I love it the way its working. I'll have to let you guys know what the fragged pieces look like in my pico once they get going.
BTW- thanks for the comments and complients :)

nissan577

from animalworld.net
"The M. capricornus is an encrusting growth form that can be flat when small/young, then turning to a whorled cup shape as the size increases. It works great for filling the area in your tank that does not have a heavy water flow. With its coloring and a swirling, cupped, plate growth, it quickly becomes a prized center piece coral."
"Deep water colonies can have massive plates or whorl shapes that overlap in tiers, with individuals being up to a 3 feet (1 m) across. Those from shallower more turbid waters have extensive horizontal plates with a rougher surface. Colonies can form large continuous coral beds."
from fishlore.com
"They can take on various forms depending on water flow and the conditions in the tank, but generally the Monti Cap will eventually grow into a whirling vase like appearance."
it shows im not wrong

gill again68

Ok, so trying to understand better.So here are pictures of the Green Monti that sits at the top of my tank in a medium flow. < I assumed maxing its surface area for light. Here is one Monti that sits in the mid to lower mid of the tank and is also in a medium flow area. The red that is in the lower region of the tank is doing just what I wanted, "reaching upwards" < again I assumed for light as it is lower in the tank>, and so now I am confused. Again not saying this all isnt dumb luck but here are my results.

gill again68

Very nice pics/ The torch looks nice and those zoas are very nice. I see your fire shrimp is out. Mine in the 90 wont come out for much. Food yes, company comes over and yes hes out like oh I stay out here all the time. For general purposes he has a thing for my watchman goby who also stays in the caves.

socalnano24

Thanks gill, that torch has 5 or 6 heads now after a year and a half. Its grown really well.
The shrimp is a bit of a scaredy; but he has a glass front cave essentially; which helps alot, its surrounded on all sides by rock except one side is glass; keeps him visual most of the time. Mine used to love my LMB when he was around. I need to take a new FTS when it looks right.