The Bro's first Saltwater Aquarium 29g BioCube

the bro

Got a question... might be stupid but really im not sure?

Does mixing or changing brands of salt mix affect a tank in any way? Or is it better to be consistant and use the same kind everytime?
Also about the water changes...
Let salt "mix" for 24 hours before a wc? I can't just quickly make up a batch an hour or so before the change?

meowzer

Originally Posted by The Bro
http:///forum/post/3208008
Got a question... might be stupid but really im not sure?

Does mixing or changing brands of salt mix affect a tank in any way? Or is it better to be consistant and use the same kind everytime?
Also about the water changes...
Let salt "mix" for 24 hours before a wc? I can't just quickly make up a batch an hour or so before the change?
Not sure if mixing salts is a prob or not....I am about to change from Instant Ocean to Instant Ocean Reef crystals, BUT I would find one you like and stick with it
NO...you can not (or should not) mix sw and throw it right in
Mix it in a clean container, add a powerhead and a small heater...let mix for at least 24 hours.....make sure it is the same salinity and temp as your display
(ph too)

sfmacguy

I usually will wait at least 6 hours before dumping the new water in. I've always used instant ocean, but doubt a different brand would cause harm.

nissan577

Originally Posted by sfmacguy
http:///forum/post/3208015
I usually will wait at least 6 hours before dumping the new water in. I've always used instant ocean, but doubt a different brand would cause harm.
6hrs only???? atleast 24hrs is the best

the bro

Thanks for the reply! I want to take a moment to thank all of you for your help and support. You all have been so kind and helpful! Im learning alot and more by the day!
So THANKS to everyone that is helping educate this saltwater newbie! You guys are awesome!

nissan577

Originally Posted by The Bro
http:///forum/post/3208037
Thanks for the reply! I want to take a moment to thank all of you for your help and support. You all have been so kind and helpful! Im learning alot and more by the day!
So THANKS to everyone that is helping educate this saltwater newbie! You guys are awesome!

thanks man!!!!
we are glad that you love it here and take our information to the heart!

the bro

Ok working in my fuge atm.
Did all the steps nissan posted about taking out the bio balls, stock filter w/ carbon and the 2nd chamber filter sponge. I put the sponge in the first chamber where the overflow is so it can catch big debris before entering the fuge.
But the water lvl is only filled up half way in the 2nd and 3rd chamber. Is this where the water lvl is suposed to be at? Seems like in Nissans pictures of his fuge the water was alot higher.
Also what is the purpose of the cup with the chaeto floating in it? Should i do this or having the chaeto just float above my LR fine?
THANKS

nissan577

yea cause i had more water
when you take out bioballs and such it lowers the water. so just top off

LOOKS GREAT THO!

the bro

What do you think is an appropriate amount of LR? I have just barely enough to cover the false floor. I also read that LR in a fuge is just as bad as having BioBalls do you believe this?
1.With the cup i see floating in your pics of your fuge whats the purpose of that? 2.Whats a good way to stop the overflow noise now?
3.What do you think about cutting the little overflow space into chamber 2 bigger for more fuge flow?

nissan577

1. its to hold the Chaeto in place
2. what i did is get egg crate and place it right were the water starts to comeout of the 1st chamber and put filter floss there.
3. more flow yea but not really necessary
TAKE OUT THE LR!!!!

nissan577

TAKE IT OUT!!!! it collects detritus which becomes NITRATES!!!! when you move the rocks in the back the trates will go up.

the bro

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3209459
TAKE IT OUT!!!! it collects detritus which becomes NITRATES!!!! when you move the rocks in the back the trates will go up.
Will do boss THANKS for sharing you genius knowledge lol!