Updated Pics, 24g Nano

peef

So the spot that you were saying had necrosis, last night I was just observing before I snipped it and all the polyps still came out...does that still happen if there is necrosis? If so I will snip today or I will watch for possible growth???

perfectdark

Yep the polyups can still come out. Basically its the exoskeleton rotting most likley due to a bacterial infection, caused by algea of some sort. It will continue until you stop the spread and cutting into healthy flesh is the only way to ensure you dont leave any bacteria to continue.

C

coralreefnewb

Originally Posted by peef
So the spot that you were saying had necrosis, last night I was just observing before I snipped it and all the polyps still came out...does that still happen if there is necrosis? If so I will snip today or I will watch for possible growth???
what kind of light ist nice tank man

peef

If you asked what kind of light, I have a 150w metal halide. And thanks, its coming along

peef

So I did a water change tonight and noticed that a mushroom moved rocks and left a little baby in its wake!!! Yeah I am a daddy!!!!!!!!!!

paintballer768

Hi I have the same tank and its been cycling for about a month. Sunday Im going to get the water tested to make sure its all good, but I want to do something like this as well. I wanted to know if everything else besides the 150w MH light was what came with the tank, and what you would recommend for the tank for the best results. As for now I have some little worthless rocks for temporary looks, and about 8 bait shrimp assisting me on the cycling. Theyve been alive for a month so Im not sure, but from fishing experience those things are really fragile, so that kind of makes me think Im doing something right.
And to confirm some of the names that I can tell the LFS people to look for, its called sun coral, bubble tip anemone, and whats the name of the brain? Could I get like a black and white clown and have a chance of it bonding with the anemone? And because Im not very experienced with corals, I wanted to go predator because Ive had those before, but do I need to feed everything something different? Like use a syringe and feed em right near them?
Thanks a ton, I know its alot of questions but itll clear up alot for me.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by paintballer768
Hi I have the same tank and its been cycling for about a month. Sunday Im going to get the water tested to make sure its all good, but I want to do something like this as well. I wanted to know if everything else besides the 150w MH light was what came with the tank, and what you would recommend for the tank for the best results. As for now I have some little worthless rocks for temporary looks, and about 8 bait shrimp assisting me on the cycling. Theyve been alive for a month so Im not sure, but from fishing experience those things are really fragile, so that kind of makes me think Im doing something right.
And to confirm some of the names that I can tell the LFS people to look for, its called sun coral, bubble tip anemone, and whats the name of the brain? Could I get like a black and white clown and have a chance of it bonding with the anemone? And because Im not very experienced with corals, I wanted to go predator because Ive had those before, but do I need to feed everything something different? Like use a syringe and feed em right near them?
Thanks a ton, I know its alot of questions but itll clear up alot for me.
Just a couple of things... first off using anything living to cycle your tank and having it stay alive during the cycle is no indication of doing somthing correctly or not. You could of accomplished the same thing with a raw shrimp tail dropped in your tank. Monitor your amonia levels and when it tests 0 your cycle is done. There are a number of different things you can put in your tank. Research and taking things slowly is the most imortant thing you can do at this point. Having an aggressive tank is alot different set up and requires alot of knowledge as to what species can be mixed with others. As for an anemone only a tank that has been established for a minimum of 8 months should consider one. Pristine water chemistry and a lighting set up to accomodate an anemone. Your questions are all over the place and the first thing I would recomend to you is to decide what type of tank you are looking to have, a fish only, reef tank, fish only w live rock? Then get a stock list in mind doing research as to how big the fish you like get, and how many you plan on putting in your tank.
Lastly you need to get a decent test kit, test your water and post your results. Amonia, nitrites, nitrates, PH, alkalinity and S.G, tank temperature. if these numbers are on then you can start to add live stock.
Sorry peef for hijacking just threw out some help.....

paintballer768

My goal for this tank is to have it a reef tank, with maybe one or two smaller fish in the tank as well with some inverts. I went out and bought a test kit, for both salt and fresh water. According to the salt result charts and the colors I got this is where the tank stands at the moment...
Ammonia - It came up at about in between 0.5 and 1 ppm. On the indicator chart, it says its stressful to harmful. Cant be good.
Nitrate - about 40 ppm. It says its in the "Okay" range, but Im still not content with it.
Nitrite - between 0.5 and 1. 0.5 is caution, 1 is stress. Not exactly a good record so far.
Alkalinity
- 300 ppm. Good result.
pH
- 7.8. This is an ok one as well.
Salinity
- 1.022. Its good.
Seems like nothing is perfect except Alkalinity and Salinity. Im going to do a 25% water change probably tomorrow and test it again. Hopefully that'll take out some of the nitrates and nitrites.
As far as a researched list of potential live stock, I was thinking something like a open green brain coral, some zoos, and a mushroom polyp or two to begin with, after I get some live rock to form a base to build on. For fish, I thought something like a black and white percula clown and/or a royal gramma. What does everyone think?
And thanks a ton PerfectDark for the info, and peef for something to visualize.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by paintballer768
My goal for this tank is to have it a reef tank, with maybe one or two smaller fish in the tank as well with some inverts. I went out and bought a test kit, for both salt and fresh water. According to the salt result charts and the colors I got this is where the tank stands at the moment...
Ammonia - It came up at about in between 0.5 and 1 ppm. On the indicator chart, it says its stressful to harmful. Cant be good.
Nitrate - about 40 ppm. It says its in the "Okay" range, but Im still not content with it.
Nitrite - between 0.5 and 1. 0.5 is caution, 1 is stress. Not exactly a good record so far.
Alkalinity
- 300 ppm. Good result.
pH
- 7.8. This is an ok one as well.
Salinity
- 1.022. Its good.
Seems like nothing is perfect except Alkalinity and Salinity. Im going to do a 25% water change probably tomorrow and test it again. Hopefully that'll take out some of the nitrates and nitrites.
As far as a researched list of potential live stock, I was thinking something like a open green brain coral, some zoos, and a mushroom polyp or two to begin with, after I get some live rock to form a base to build on. For fish, I thought something like a black and white percula clown and/or a royal gramma. What does everyone think?
And thanks a ton PerfectDark for the info, and peef for something to visualize.
Just to comment on your results.. first any amonia is bad you need 0, second your nitrates are off the charts for a new tank, that too needs to be as low as possible, 3rd you have nitrites which means one of 2 things either your still cycling or you have more of a bioload than your nitrifing bacteria can handle right now. PH should be 8.2 to 8.4 and S.G. should be between 1.023 to 1.026 I run mine at a constant 1.025 for a reef tank.
And lastly you need to start a thread of your own... on starting a new tank. I dont want to hijack peefs thread anymore.. but to get you started this should help. Good luck.

peef

There is no hijacking here, I like questions and answers feel free to use this anytime
. Good info PD!

dempseyjosh

hey peef. i got a question about the brain corals. is there two different types? a brain coral and an open brain coral. or does the other one you have open up too? i think they are cool lookin and i like the colors that are available and want to get one soon

peef

They are two different kinds. They will hold the same forms other than inflating and deflating.

dempseyjosh

so it is a brain coral and an open brain coral? and did you move them to the sand because that is where it is best to put them? cause that is what i read. or is it fine if the open brain is up on some rocks

perfectdark

I'll comment here because I know/hope Peef wont mind. Their are a number of different species of brain corals.. The open brain coral is known as Trachyphyllia radiata. Some others are Trachyphyllia geoffroyi it has a flatten folded figure eight shape and is commonly called the Folded Brain, or Crater Coral. Then there is the Lobophyllia hemprichii and is commonly called Lobed, Colored, Carpet, Flat, or Open Brain Coral (yes another type), Meat Coral, Modern Coral, or Large Flower Coral. There is a brain worm coral or Platygyra sp. and Brain coral Favites spp or Moon, Pineapple, Brain, Closed Brain, Star, Worm, or Honeycomb Coral. As you can see far more than just 2 types... hope this helps...

peef

Wow, I didn't even know that there were that many sub-species. I would have suspected it but never looked into it. Thanks PD