Updated Pics, 24g Nano

peef

My clown is with a standard BTA! It is looking very healthy at the moment!
Thanks DeMartini! I appreciate it.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by peef
Does anyone know, what should my params be for the shrooms to get maximum propagation? And around how long does that kind of stuff take?
PH- 8.2 to 8.4, Calcium-450, Alkalinity 2.5 to 3.5 meq/l, salinity 1.024 to 1.026. IF everything is in check you can start seeing propogation in as early as a month, but typically 2 months is approx when mine started to multiply.

perfectdark

. I am nursing it back as carefully as I can. Any ideas?
Feed it fequently... every 2 days. Look at the size of its mouth, cut a piece of silverside or clam no bigger than that, slightly smaller is also ok. Soak the food in Selcon or Super Selco, and feed your anemone. Eating supplemental foods takes alot of energy for anemones to get through. Making the process easy for them will help keep them from tiring. It should only take about 3 to 5 minutes for the piece of food to be fully ingested if its the correct size. This will help in getting back to normal. Lots of rock work for it to hide in and providing an area where it can move out into the light with out compromising its location. This will be most benificial to it feeling safe and getting all its requirements without stressing.

peef

Oh hey sorry, I said bubble but I ment bubble coral not the bubble tip. The anemone is great, the bubble coral receded ALOT since I first got it. It is coming back slowly though. Any ideas about that one?

perfectdark

Well typically they are not eaisily recoverable once they start going down hill. Be cautious of brown stringy material oozing out of it at any time.
Keep it under direct lighting, if its not used to your MH's monitor its reaction to them when you turn them on, and adjust its placement accordingly. An Iodine dip may help it out..
As for your gorgonian. You have a deep sea non photosynthetic gorgonian. Much like your sun coral it can bleach under super intense lighting for an extended period of time. Look at it like this, non photosynthetic corals have pigment in a variety of colors and they use this for sunblock. If exposed to sunlight over an extended period of time that pigment bleaches. For placment keep in mind anything it comes in contact with on its exoskeleton will cause necrosis. They are best to keep away from other corals and free standing in the water column. They are complete filter feeders and need an area of good flow. Flow serves 2 purposes, first it forces the water column by the coral constantly offering any nutrients to it. Second it keeps any type of algea or debris off if it as this can be very dangerous for it, especially cyano. Frequent spot feedings approx 2 to 3 times a week when the polyups are out. They usually will do well with zoo plankton and mysis. Hope this helps...

peef

Thanks as always PD, I might have to exchange the gorgonian if it is as sensitive as the sun, as I have no other places for indirect light.....hmmmm that sucks. I looked into it and it told me low to medium light, but do you think that the MH on it will hurt it? I would rather return than kill it slowly.
Thanks alot pumpkin I appreciate it!!!

perfectdark

Well I think you will suffer a quicker loss if you keep its branches touching your LR like that. I would put it in your sand bed further down in the water IMO. Although its non photosynthetic they are suseptable to algea build up and a small amount of light to ward off any is recomended. Too much however can have adverse affects. Also why they are recomended to be in an area of high flow.
There are photosynthetic species of gorgonians, you just dont have one. You have a Yellow Finger Gorgonian, or Diodogorgia nodulifera, this is a non photosyn species. If you want an eaiser to manage gorgonian, there are a few that require moderate lighting as they are photosynthetic. The purple tree gorg. (Eunicea sp.) the Rusty Gorgonian (Gorgonia sp.) Purple Brush Gorgonian (Muriceopsis flavida) which is the one I have. There are more those are just a few.

peef

Check on the sand bed, but how can I put it in the sandbed without like an inch of it being under the sand and dieing there also?

peef

Originally Posted by theappe3
looking good man!!

Thanks alot, I want the zoos also if you have any!

perfectdark

Check on the sand bed, but how can I put it in the sandbed without like an inch of it being under the sand and dieing there also?
that area may suffer die off and expose the endoskeleton but it wont start necrosis. The problem with it touching LR is algea forms on the LR and in turn will start to grow on the coral, that will lead to necrosis and ultimatly kill the coral.

peef

Yeah so at lunch a few minutes ago I went and bought some super glue gel, I lifted up the gorgonian and swished it gently in the tank and holy cow a TON of algae came off of it, and I thought it was in a good spot. I super glued it to a nice flat rock from my back compartment and put it right in the sand with NO coral touching sand and only the base rock under so it looks nice and is in great water flow. I will fine tune the position it's in later but whew thanks for helping me save yet another coral PD YOU DA MAN!

peef

So I bought a few zoos to add, I love zoos ALOT I needed some with color.
Should be here on thursday

perfectdark

Nice Zoa frags...
I hijacked your pic to point somthing out to you... Look at the circled area and the arrow. The red area that is overtaking the branch is necrosis. It could of been from purchase, touching the LR, or alegea build up. Look at the entire coral and inspect it for other areas like that one. Once this conditions starts it cannot recover on its own. You need to get a pair of cutters and nip off the branch about 1/8" past the rotted area onto the yellow flesh. This should stop the problem. Monitor it closley and keep good flow on it and do not allow any debris to sit on it. I had one of these yellow gorgonians in my tank when I first set it up. Unfortunatly I was not educated enough to know how to take care of that condition and it died. You can see it on the beginning pages of my thread and the necrosis is defintatly noticable.

peef

Well, I guess then it is time for a little hair cut. I was just at my LFS getting a mouse for my snake and I saw the other gorgonian they have, its laying on its side half covered in sand and has two other corals laying on top of other branches!!!!

perfectdark

Yea when I bought mine they were in the same type of condition and placement. They had a bunch of them and I picked the one that looked the most healthy. When I mentioned I wanted the one that was under the most light, the guy said to me "what for gorgonians dont need light." I knew then this guy didnt know much. I told him yea well some dont, but these however do, so I'll take the one thats sitting under the light. He was confused for a while... Yikes.. thats why I read alot.