An exchange I had with Rush Limbaugh...

salty blues

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2575779
And lets just keep one little detail in mind....it's an election year. A very hot election year. If disaster was not just around the bend in the USA, then it wouldn't probably be an election year.

Somehow I think we will be rescued from the brink of societal and economic ruin come Jan 09.

May I borrow your crystal ball?

pontius

I personally don't know anyone who earns what they think they're worth. I know I don't.
I'm no Rush Limbaugh fan, but I think he probably didn't answer your question because there's really no answer to a question about unemployment rate and people who think they should be earning more than they are. I mean seriously, what's the point of the question? do you think before George W came along, everybody was earning exactly what they thought they should be and every thing was peaches and cream? if you have a bachelor's and a master's and are only earning $10/hour, you obviously didn't do enough career research before you decided what to major in.
btw, I'm from SC and graduated from high school with a guy who went to Climpsun and got the exact same degree that you have. he is currently in Illinois and making huge money. and as far as I know, he doesn't have a masters. he and I both graduated from college in 1999, so it's not like we are old school graduates from the 60s/70s. so maybe you just don't have enough experience yet? or maybe you don't get hired because you ask dumb questions like you did to limbaugh?

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/2576060
I personally don't know anyone who earns what they think they're worth. I know I don't.
I'm no Rush Limbaugh fan, but I think he probably didn't answer your question because there's really no answer to a question about unemployment rate and people who think they should be earning more than they are.
btw, I'm from SC and graduated from high school with a guy who went to Climpsun and got the exact same degree that you have. he is currently in Illinois and making huge money. and as far as I know, he doesn't have a masters. he and I both graduated from college in 1999, so it's not like we are old school graduates from the 60s/70s. so maybe you just don't have enough experience yet? or maybe you don't get hired because you ask dumb questions like you did to limbaugh?
I'm not saying I'm making BAD money per se. I'm just not making what we were all told we could expect to make coming out of college.
And for the record, at the time I started college and made my choice (1999) the economy was great. Little did I, or anyone else for that matter, know what would happen in 2001.
I just wish the government would do more to help bring the economy back. And that starts at the top with the democratically held house and senate. I'm not picking on any side here... I would just like to see something done...

stdreb27

Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid
http:///forum/post/2576066
I just wish the government would do more to help bring the economy back. And that starts at the top with the democratically held house and senate. I'm not picking on any side here... I would just like to see something done...
Maybe the governments doing got us in the trouble to begin with...
Maybe more government action isn't the answer. do you really think government has a good track record of not bungling things up? The greatest minds are smart enough not to go into government after all...
btw not to be to nosy but what is decent money in your mind?

Oh you're absolutely right. I think the less government the better. But obviously the general public doesn't feel that way, or people like Ron Paul would get more than 3-5% of the primary votes...
So if the government HAS to be involved, at least help your people succeed, you know?
And as far as good money, I am making $42k per year. Which by no means is bad. I mean I am more lucky than most, but with bills, loans, and gas and food, it seems like I'm living paycheck to paycheck.

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2576142
Oh you're absolutely right. I think the less government the better. But obviously the general public doesn't feel that way, or people like Ron Paul would get more than 3-5% of the primary votes...
So if the government HAS to be involved, at least help your people succeed, you know?
Well, Ron Paul as nice a guy as he is, has other problems, I don't think america was ready for a President whose seen more
than Bill Clinton.
I'm very conservative, but even I will admit there is a needed amount of regulation. You need laws or in the business world regulations, from stuff like making it illegal to steal, or kill. To making sure that a company pays what they say they will pay their employee. You do need a framework by which we can constitutionally strive for live liberty and to pursue happyness. While protecting others right for the same goals, which can be quite confusing since our economic system is an adversarial system. For your emloyer they want to pay you as little as possible, and you want to make as much as possible. Their lies the debate, what is acceptable regulations to protect the individual (you) vs the employeer another individual or group of individuals.
If you study economic trains of thought, up until Eisenhower and Kennedy keynesian economic theory was the leading economic thought. Keynes was a proponent of government intervention in the market place. And the government controlled alot of the economic forces in place from the exchange rates to trade barriers. Eventually they were unable to sustain (this is key because government control works short term) these controls in the market and we went through a huge correction. That really wasn't rectified till Reagan and those fruits weren't seen till Clinton. You should read some milton friedman. So you can really see where rush is coming from (although he doesn't know it) it will really put in perspective how our economy has developed over the last 30 years. And help you understand how a hands off approach to governing our economy really is the best way.
It may also put into perspective this "bad" economy because frankly it isn't bad, carter would have killed for the numbers we have today.
Sometimes setting up a good framework and letting the economy make its micro corrections is far better than doing something unsustainable and artificially and seeing a massive correction.

oscardeuce

http:///forum/post/2576066

No conservative or republican for that matter should be saying this.

scsinet

http:///forum/post/2576142
What you are seeing is a sad trend in this country. It seems as though people, by and large, tend to want the easy answer peddled by the likes of Obama and the Hildabeast. People want the easy answer so bad they are willing to give up rights to do it; rights that we are all so fortunate to have observed by our government... such a thing should not be squandered.
Many of them would rather watch TV and not have their right to free expression or their right to choose the healthcare provider they want - let alone... *gasp* pay for it... it's disgusting.
People (generally speaking) don't WANT to succeed. They don't WANT to stay competitive in the job market, hell, many of them don't WANT to work. They WANT it to just be taken care of. Therein lies the fundamental flaw with the liberal mindset... in order for people to succeed, no matter how much "help" we give them, they have to want it.
And as far as good money, I am making $42k per year. Which by no means is bad. I mean I am more lucky than most, but with bills, loans, and gas and food, it seems like I'm living paycheck to paycheck.
No, it's not bad. You are just one of the majority of college students who get a reality check when they entered the workforce. You didn't mention how long you've been out of school, but you are making quite a bit more than I made when I graduated with a BS in Computer Information Systems - from a school that told me I'd make twice that straight out. Paycheck to paycheck is a reality for the first few years. Any seasoned HR professional will tell you that your college education is irrelevant after the first few years. All the college education buys you is your first few years, when you prove in the actual real world that you've got what it takes to make more money, then you start making more money.

spanko

Any seasoned HR professional will tell you that your college education is irrelevant after the first few years. All the college education buys you is your first few years, when you prove in the actual real world that you've got what it takes to make more money, then you start making more money.
Therein lies the rub. Most grads are conditioned to believe that their associates, bachelors, or even masters degree is a free pass into wealth immediately. You had to work for the degree, you have to work for the real world experience to be able to make yourself more valuable to a company and really to yourself.

fats71

Originally Posted by lovethesea
http:///forum/post/2575621
color me stupid, but no I don't.
Stdreb noted that he didn't see it in the posts.
It was amusing when I thought he saw it and was sayin ya right what do ya really do.SOURCASM...
TheClemsonKid;2575695 said:
Exactly! He SHOULD be arguing on a NATIONAL level. Where like I said before, the dollar is tanking, were losing jobs, inflation is much higher than rising wages, people are losing their homes, etc, etc.
The fact that he tries to HIDE that the economy is doing so bad is what bothers me.
this guy has an audience of millions, where he could actually change things for the better if he so chose. Instead, he takes people who make valid points like myself, and hangs up on us...
I am referring to you as the above and am choosing to hang up on you. You have done a few things here. contradicted yourself in what you did and say RUSH does. You have stated publicly your a liar and started this thread based on it so at this point I am hanging up.
When you have to lie to make a point your points were not worth listening too...

lovethesea

it didn't occur to me that it was sarcasm. I guess I am the type of person that appreciates anyone that puts the extra effort of time and money and dedication into their education.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2576307
Therein lies the rub. Most grads are conditioned to believe that their associates, bachelors, or even masters degree is a free pass into wealth immediately. You had to work for the degree, you have to work for the real world experience to be able to make yourself more valuable to a company and really to yourself.
LOL, when I got offered my job I was like yeah all that money. Then I had to move into a place by myself, had to buy a car, (mine wasn't drivable a year before I graduated, I had "friends" pass the inspection.) Now I'm once again living paycheck to paycheck. I had more expendable income when I was in college.

scsinet

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2576356
LOL, when I got offered my job I was like yeah all that money. Then I had to move into a place by myself, had to buy a car, (mine wasn't drivable a year before I graduated, I had "friends" pass the inspection.) Now I'm once again living paycheck to paycheck. I had more expendable income when I was in college.

Almost all of us are here however because we keep saltwater fish tanks... not an inexpensive hobby...
So we all have at least some disposable income.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2576369
Almost all of us are here however because we keep saltwater fish tanks... not an inexpensive hobby...
So we all have at least some disposable income.
lol, well I bought that in school, now that I need another tank, I don't have the cash. I'm probably going to sell my stuff, take that money and buy a some sort of nano and experiment with a reef tank until I can go at it again.
When we were negotiating my salary, i was so ready to get out of radiocrap I gave him my lowest number, sadly I could have gotten much more. But What I am making now sounded like soo much money back then.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by Pontius
http:///forum/post/2576060
. so maybe you just don't have enough experience yet? or maybe you don't get hired because you ask dumb questions like you did to limbaugh?
sorry, I literally laughed for ten minutes at this....whew.

Fats71;2576312 said:
It was amusing when I thought he saw it and was sayin ya right what do ya really do.SOURCASM...
http:///forum/post/2575695
Exactly! He SHOULD be arguing on a NATIONAL level. Where like I said before, the dollar is tanking, were losing jobs, inflation is much higher than rising wages, people are losing their homes, etc, etc.
The fact that he tries to HIDE that the economy is doing so bad is what bothers me.
this guy has an audience of millions, where he could actually change things for the better if he so chose. Instead, he takes people who make valid points like myself, and hangs up on us...
I am referring to you as the above and am choosing to hang up on you. You have done a few things here. contradicted yourself in what you did and say RUSH does. You have stated publicly your a liar and started this thread based on it so at this point I am hanging up.
When you have to lie to make a point your points were not worth listening too...
Right, you are clearly on board chief. Because had I actually called in, and told him exactly what I wanted to talk about, I'm sure he would be more than happy to put me right through.
This is the last I'm going to say about this whole subject. I think it's a little sad that most of you who chose to reply seem to be on board with the "nothings really wrong with the economy" theory.
Fine. You're all right. Myself and the other 18,673 (that's numbers from the US Government's most recent survey) college graduates since 2004 who have not been able to find work in either the field they have their degree in, or make 50% of their expected income within 12 months of graduation... We all must be lazy, under achieving, whiny, no good democrats who just can't face the reality that we suck.
Either that, or the economy really IS in the can.
I'll go with the latter.

wangotango

Come this fall AE will be my major. Based on everything that I've researched about the career, it's not one where you make tons of money right out of school. Look on the AIA website and you will see the average salary of Architects for each year they graduated. A new grad might make $40,000 a year, but someone who graduate in 1975 might be making two or three times that depending on where they work.
It takes a long time to find a job. I've read an article that says on average 1 month per $10,000 of expected income. Whether that's valid or not I don't know. I know a guy who got laid of from IBM and it took him almost a year to find new work.
-Justin

bucksarg

http:///forum/post/2575209
Well considering I was born and raised in the upstate of South Carolina I don't think I owe anyone an apology. And I used that state as an example because it has always carried the stigma of being "backwards"... just ask anyone who has lived there. Including my parents, grandparents, and great grandparents who all live(d) there.
And who says because I have two degrees that I should be getting paid more?
I do.
And if you think that is being arrogant, then you are grossly misinformed about the way the American economy is "supposed" to work.
Do you tell your kids to study hard so they can get into college and get a good job one day? I would hope so. I hope you don't tell them to try and be mediocre so they can land somewhere in the middle.
Fact is, a person who spends five years and $100,000 dollars on education should expect to make more than $10 an hour, don't you think?
If not, then what's the point of getting that higher education?
And you say "If you are just out of college with no experience you are just worth that amount. You get to start where most college educated people get to start...........
You're EXACTLY right. I'm not asking for a million dollars, I'm just asking for something starting at the $35-40k a year I was promised coming up...
And that fact of the matter is, that most of the companies have sent their engineers and scientists overseas, giving the jobs that I went to school for to someone else in another country.
What upset me about Limbaugh, is that he acts as if that is not the case.
Apparently you got two degrees, but not an education, from the tenor of your posts you are possibly now getting an education. A word of advice, keep up your attitude and you always wiill be in the back seat. Come down off your pedestal young fella and accept the fact that you are no doubt only worth about a tenth of what you think you are and unless your Daddy owns the company you've got problems and that's too bad!! Sure hope it gets better at least for your folks sake . What engineering degree do you have?

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/2577290
Fine. You're all right. Myself and the other 18,673 (that's numbers from the US Government's most recent survey) college graduates since 2004 who have not been able to find work in either the field they have their degree in, or make 50% of their expected income within 12 months of graduation... We all must be lazy, under achieving, whiny, no good democrats who just can't face the reality that we suck.
Either that, or the economy really IS in the can.
I'll go with the latter.
So since 2004 you are saying that about 19,000 people graduated college and are not working in their field, or making 50% less than they expected. Since you didn't say this was just in Ohio I'm assuming this is nation wide.
Lets put your number in a bit of perspective. According to an article in the New Yorker in 2006 1.5 million people graduated from college.
Now I personally think your number is a bit low for a nation wide survey, but running with it, if just assume it is for one year 19000/1.5 million. Is 1.2%
Now if I use the number as you stated. 19000/(1.5million*3)that is .4% that would be absolutely spectacular numbers. That would not be accounting for people who just didn't go into their field like my friend who was a psyc major and ended up writing video games. And making a good chunk of change.

Now these numbers are way way to low, I'd love to see the article you pull your numbers from. But just pulling from what you are saying. Those numbers would be spectacular.