I am new at saltwater fish. Need some help

tito3054

One of the best tips is Patience. Every time you add something your going to love it so take your time and enjoy.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamseed31 http:///forum/thread/382655/i-am-new-at-saltwater-fish-need-some-help/120#post_3344469
Ohhh Ok! Hmm. How much are the shrimp? I remember seeing one for 19.99 at the local pet store.
varies. Which shrimp are we talking about
Peppermints: $5.99-$9.99 - I will not pay more than $10 for a pepp
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp: $9.99 - $29.99 - depends on size, time of year and store I go to, average is usually $25 for a medium/large one
Fire Shrimp: $19.99 - $39.99 - average is usually $30
You know this site is a store as well, right?

btldreef

Well, for now, I'd wait and make sure no ammonia reading comes up for a week or two, then slowly add some CUC members in and go from there. The beginning stages of a tank can be slow and it's sooo hard to be patient, but once it really gets going, you'll be happy.

meowzer

You might want to keep a log of your water tests.......I know that helps me...LOL....I can never remember when I did anything

Also I have a question. If i were to add water to the tank like say if the water is lowering and i want to add water to fill it back to the top later on the road. After the tank is fully cycle and fish are swimming healthy etc etc. How would water to the tank? Also suggestion on weekly basic i should change the water? Also do you know where i can purchase a refractormeter beside online.

lmao! All right! I know i been do a lot lately. XD Hmmm.. I guess is time to take out my notepad that i bought for school but never use it.

meowzer

any fish store should sell refractometers....or at least order you one. Do you use tap water or ro/di? when you water evaporates from your tank, you top it off whenever it needs it BUT with plaine water....preferably ro/di
when you do a waterchange, that is when you use newly made salt water....make sure you mix it for a good 24 hours, the salinity and temps are the same too

I have been searching on the local petstore website for one and i couldn't find one. i haven't went to a pet store for a while because is really not convinet at all for me to go there. Since I am only limit to three transfer from school to home which i use all three. I hoping to go sometime this friday to search for refractometer. I already tested the salinity with an instant ocean hydrometer but after reading some post from threads a lot recommend refractometer so i am trying to get my hand on that. Well I just want to taste my water again but the hydrometer is so hard to clean and not sure if it measure correctly. I know the first time it worked well but after a while it kinda hmm ekky now. I am using tap water at the moment. If i do a water change can i switch to RO/DI?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamseed31 http:///forum/thread/382655/i-am-new-at-saltwater-fish-need-some-help/120#post_3344490
I have been searching on the local petstore website for one and i couldn't find one. i haven't went to a pet store for a while because is really not convinet at all for me to go there. Since I am only limit to three transfer from school to home which i use all three. I hoping to go sometime this friday to search for refractometer. I already tested the salinity with an instant ocean hydrometer but after reading some post from threads a lot recommend refractometer so i am trying to get my hand on that. Well I just want to taste my water again but the hydrometer is so hard to clean and not sure if it measure correctly. I know the first time it worked well but after a while it kinda hmm ekky now. I am using tap water at the moment. If i do a water change can i switch to RO/DI?

IMO you only need a refractometer when you do hypo and need to be very exact..otherwise it isn't needed. Rinse the hydrometer in warm water before and after use for years of dependable service. That is my opinion, and we all have at least one. Keeping the same number is what really matters.
You can and should change to RO/DI ASAP. Water changes will do just fine.

spanko

If you have the swing arm type hydrometer as Flower said, make sure it is clean and when you take a reading make sure there are no air bubble in the unit as they could be on the arm causing a false reading.
For me if I did not have a refractometer I would use the floating glass type. But that's just me.

bang guy

It's actually better to clean it in cold RO water

Swing-arm hydrometers can be used safely but first they need to be compared to a more accurate instrument. If you can find someone in your area with a conductivity meter or a refractometer you can compare to see if your hydrometer is off and by how much. This should probably be done every 6 months or so.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///forum/thread/382655/i-am-new-at-saltwater-fish-need-some-help/120#post_3344524

Swing-arm hydrometers can be used safely but first they need to be compared to a more accurate instrument
. If you can find someone in your area with a conductivity meter or a refractometer you can compare to see if your hydrometer is off and by how much. This should probably be done every 6 months or so.
Agreed. My hydrometer reads off and always has, if it reads 1.030, it's really 1.023 on the refractometer, now I know that so I can adjust accordingly.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/382655/i-am-new-at-saltwater-fish-need-some-help/120#post_3344548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///forum/thread/382655/i-am-new-at-saltwater-fish-need-some-help/120#post_3344524

Swing-arm hydrometers can be used safely but first they need to be compared to a more accurate instrument
. If you can find someone in your area with a conductivity meter or a refractometer you can compare to see if your hydrometer is off and by how much. This should probably be done every 6 months or so.
Agreed. My hydrometer reads off and always has, if it reads 1.030, it's really 1.023 on the refractometer, now I know that so I can adjust accordingly.
Yep, I compared my hydrometer with my LFS's refractometer and found it to be off by +.001. My hydrometer reading of 1.026 would really be 1.025. I didn't realize that I should compare every 6 months, though, I need to do it again soon, thanks!