Tanked!

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKnight http:///t/387359/tanked/100#post_3412506
Had sort of a very absurd thought, spawned from another thread....
If it weren't for the average aquarium service company, and the generally poor fish environment/health of the fish most of the tanks they care for have, leading to needing frequent replenishing of fish, how many of YOU
would be in the hobby?
How many people here would still have a SW tank if these companies weren't around and damsels cost $75 each? Yellow tangs $250, any really nice large angels $1000+? It's sad to think of these fish as a necessity to be led to slaughter, but if it weren't for these companies, I really don't think we would have the established collector/distributor/wholesaler/retailer chain we have today, and the prices we currently see on many fish/corals.
This can be said for any part of the pet trade industry, not only for the fish trade. This happens in every area of the Pet industry where animals are subjected to different forms of abuse and morality rate. Where there is a demand for a pet there is going to be a trade for it. At some time or another we all own some type of pet whether it be a Fish, Cat, Dog, Bird, Small Rodent, Reptile, what matters is how we take care of said pet. There is always going to be someone out there that we think is morally wrong on how they do something when it comes to pets and how they treat and take care of it. I worked for a Shelter for a year and let me tell you I saw a lot in that short time working there. I would get angry, frustrated, upset on a daily basis on how some treat their pets, but we can chose how we treat them in our own homes. Are we giving the fish a better life than what they have had in a pet store fish tank, I would like to think yes. Would they be better off left in the ocean where they belong? Yes, but they are not so we can choose to get them and give them the best life we can in the little glass boxes that we put them in. The trade industry is always going to be there because there is a demand, even if we choose not to be part of that demand it is still going to be there. There is always someone out there that is going to want a pet, whether or not it be us included in that, so there is always going to be a demand for it.

kiefers

That can pretty much go with every aspect of people lives. Pets, kids, self. Opinions are like butts, everyone has one, but does it make them wrong? Some times yes.
One of my patients loves the Animal Planet. She watches this show called Animal cops in Houston. Here people leave their pets starving, beatin, dehydraded (and if any of you live in Texas, you know it gets damb hot there, and to leave AN ANIMAL in such a codition, they need to be told no more pets. I beieve there should be a law stating this. If one abuses or neglects there kids, they get them taken away and the parents get possibly jailed.
but I think this is getting off topic.

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/387359/tanked/100#post_3413492
I wonder what % of the market makes up that population?
The abuse and morality rate that fish get subjected to just through the new hobbyist learning process is considerable in my view. What makes us upset over TANKED is that these guys supposedly should know better.
However, it is true that if we really cared that much, none of us would be hobbyists at all. I guess we are mostly hypocrites. Same could be said for the puppy mill industry where many pet shops get their dogs. Truthfully, you can say that for many pet industries. I have some snakes, one of which I am certain got snatched from Africa (not bred). There are a lot of practices of reptile breeders that I am not happy about.
Yea, some numbers would definitely be interesting to see. I don't think that's there's 1 SW aquarium cared for by a service aquarium for every 1 by a someone on their own, but for every hobbyist there with a nano and 3 fish, there's 20,000gal tanks with asinine amounts of fish.
As for the guys from TANKED, they finally made their way over to a SW/reef forum and were interviewed by the owner of that board. They pretty much said that a lot of what you see is edited/dramatized for the show. The tanks are actually "setup" weeks before the fish are actually added, they don't use straight tap use, etc. They do the actual stocking of the tank, but once everything is completed, it's turned over to a local service company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T
http:///t/387359/tanked/120#post_3413500
This can be said for any part of the pet trade industry, not only for the fish trade. This happens in every area of the Pet industry where animals are subjected to different forms of abuse and morality rate. Where there is a demand for a pet there is going to be a trade for it. At some time or another we all own some type of pet whether it be a Fish, Cat, Dog, Bird, Small Rodent, Reptile, what matters is how we take care of said pet. There is always going to be someone out there that we think is morally wrong on how they do something when it comes to pets and how they treat and take care of it. I worked for a Shelter for a year and let me tell you I saw a lot in that short time working there. I would get angry, frustrated, upset on a daily basis on how some treat their pets, but we can chose how we treat them in our own homes. Are we giving the fish a better life than what they have had in a pet store fish tank, I would like to think yes. Would they be better off left in the ocean where they belong? Yes, but they are not so we can choose to get them and give them the best life we can in the little glass boxes that we put them in. The trade industry is always going to be there because there is a demand, even if we choose not to be part of that demand it is still going to be there. There is always someone out there that is going to want a pet, whether or not it be us included in that, so there is always going to be a demand for it.
I think my position has always been fairly consistent in that keeping saltwater aquariums has always been a luxury that someone doesn't truly "need." It's a priviledge to drive a car, not a right, type deal. Correct, most people will try to do their best given their situation, but in the end it's what they can do. I'm sure a lot of people would love to keep some type of active swimming shark. But very few people could really keep the 5,000+gal aquarium one needs, and with most personal aquariums topping out in the 200-gal range, it's not even close to adequate. So no one really keeps them. Now, the flip side, is someone with a 55gal stuffs a Naso tang in there. Which really isn't all that uncommon, in fact, I would call it common. I understand that the particular person may try their best, but it is still enough?
For what I typed earlier, I meant that in a literal way, not a moral highground right/wrong thing. Just watch the first 3 episodes of TANKED, and notice how many Naso tangs they use/buy. SWF.com has sales occasionly for $19.99 Naso tangs. You don't think a healthy demand for Naso stemming from the aquarium service, helps to lead SWF being able to get Naso at a cheap enough pricepoint to be able to have a $19.99 sale?
I was just hoping to point some impacts these aquarium companies have on hobbyists before their start slamming them. I'm just not too sure have 29gal tanks with some Sergeant Majors appeals to most people.....

A

aurorapens89

Aurora fountain pen
Aurora Pens is an Italian manufacturer of fine writing instruments, fountain pens, paper and leather goods, founded in 1919 by a rich textile merchant. Their products represent the first true Italian fountain pens and are still manufactured in their original factory in Turin.

A

aurorapens89

Aurora fountain pen
Aurora Pens is an Italian manufacturer of fine writing instruments, fountain pens, paper and leather goods, founded in 1919 by a rich textile merchant. Their products represent the first true Italian fountain pens and are still manufactured in their original factory in Turin.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I think the concern, or even outrage with the TANKED show is that it is touted as the state of the art way of doing things, the right way, the best way, on a TV network that most like to think represents animal conservation and pro-animal sentiments.
Also, if they are doing it all the right way behind the scenes and that what we see on the show is just for the show, it seems terribly fake in a bad way. For instance, in one show warm water is being piped in to a tank (90deg). Not sure where the water was coming from. All the fish had arrived and were waiting to be put in immediately. To cool the water, buckets of ice from the hotel was dumped into the tank. Not sure how they mixed the salt, but supposedly they put the fish in as soon as the tank cooled.
The latest show shows these guys going through the fish wholesaler shop picking out fish. Net the fish, remove from water then handle them with hands to see if the fish was good enough. Truthfully, if you look at the closeup of some of the fish put in the tanks they are missing scales, beat up and have frayed fins.
Hobbyists do make some big mistakes and some are even careless, but to see it on a show that is supposed to awe us, is, well, why we are here complaining.

kiefers

I can't agree more with what Beth is saying, but really..... how many people that watch this show are aquarium saavy? I believe the SW community has watched atleast one or two episodes and has never watched it again unless there like me, watching only due to the tank creativity. Watching these beautiful fish geting put into these tanks is concerning but the creativity of the tanks is the idea of the show, I believe.
As stated earlier in this thread I believe that it is the sole responsablity of the client to do some homerwork on the fish they would like in there tanks. I would like to see these two boys to hand out information on the fish the client is interested in and have them study up on care, husbandry, and the types of fish that should go into the size being purchased.

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/387359/tanked/120#post_3413626
I can't agree more with what Beth is saying, but really..... how many people that watch this show are aquarium saavy? I believe the SW community has watched atleast one or two episodes and has never watched it again unless there like me, watching only due to the tank creativity. Watching these beautiful fish geting put into these tanks is concerning but the creativity of the tanks is the idea of the show, I believe.
As stated earlier in this thread I believe that it is the sole responsablity of the client to do some homerwork on the fish they would like in there tanks. I would like to see these two boys to hand out information on the fish the client is interested in and have them study up on care, husbandry, and the types of fish that should go into the size being purchased.
But I think the point here is that they are not doing that. My concern is that people are going to see this show, a New Hobbyist per say, and think wow let me go get a good sized tank and wow look at the fish I can put in there. I will be honest I have not watched the show and I will not watch the show. I have friends that have watched it and told me enough about it that I do not want to watch it. The simple fact that I agree with they should make the people who want fish tanks do the research on the fish they want in their own tanks, if they started that I bet that the rating on the show would go way down there is not doubt, because that is not the exciting part of it.
I just think it give someone that is thinking about getting in the hobby the wrong Idea, and too boot they will go to some LFS and get more misinformation.

wartooth1

I've seen a few episodes over the weekend and found it fairly entertaining with some informative bits here and there.
The only thing that has me wondering is the "clients" who they custom make their aquariums for each episode. How do they expect to take care of and maintain their crazy custom built tanks? So far in the episodes I've seen, non of the people buying these tanks seemed to have any concern about taking care of their fish, they just want "something that reminds them of New York" or "something for little Billy to look at while he recovers from Heart Surgery or something for my husband's man cave" and they get these huge, elabrate, one of a kind tanks that I'm sure would be a giant pain to take care of.
I'm going to have to assume that if the clients can afford these crazy tanks they can also afford a professional to maintain it for them.
Oh and I LOLed when they set up the "new york tank" and loaded it with pretty much every kind of Damsel and a handful of Yellow Tangs... how long do you think all those fish will last before they all start killing eachother?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartooth1http:///t/387359/tanked/120#post_3413630
I'm going to have to assume that if the clients can afford these crazy tanks they can also afford a professional to maintain it for them.
That's is exactly what is going on. And that is what these guys advocated for in their first show. The most recent show did have one customer that actually had QTs installed. Which was good to see.
Frankly, its hard to believe that people with money have such tacky taste setting up some of those god-awful looking, corny tanks. But, I guess it makes good wacky reality TV.

travelerjp98

I have to agree with what everything that has been said... the owners (most of the time) get the pretty elaborate tank set up and have the professional maintenance people take care of the tank.... they probably wouldn't even know if the fish in there were dead... the maintenance people would just take care of it... heck the rich people with these tanks don't know a thing about SWF! (well most of the time!)

daddyjama

I'm amazed at how negative some of these posts about the show are.. The show is not a documentary on fish.. I'd imagin that they sell service as well to keep the tanks fresh..
This is a show that promotes this hobby that everyone on here seems passionate about, to a crowd that's probably not as passionate about it.. Alot of these tanks are not going for ocean realism and that's ok..
Would u complain about proper welding techniques with occ choppers, or that they didn't review how to cook food safely on the cooking shows?

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyJama http:///t/387359/tanked/120#post_3413934
I'm amazed at how negative some of these posts about the show are.. The show is not a documentary on fish.. I'd imagin that they sell service as well to keep the tanks fresh..
This is a show that promotes this hobby that everyone on here seems passionate about, to a crowd that's probably not as passionate about it.. Alot of these tanks are not going for ocean realism and that's ok..
Would u complain about proper welding techniques with occ choppers, or that they didn't review how to cook food safely on the cooking shows?
LOL....we were put on this earth to compain....so we do...and we do it well

florida joe

Wow I just realized when I was looking for a supplier for my custom acrylic refuge these guys were the ones that manufactured it. Who knew they would become reality stars

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyJama http:///t/387359/tanked/120#post_3413934
By "keep the tanks fresh" do you mean replace all the dead fish with live ones?
As entertainment it's fine. The format lends itself to looking educational though, which it is not (at least not the episode I saw). I predict a wave of new hobbiests that last about 6 months before everything dies and they quit. If so that will be a temporary boost to business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/387359/tanked/120#post_3413626
how many people that watch this show are aquarium saavy?
I think this is a good point
how many people who don't have aquariums will think,"All I need is a glass box, a light, a filter, and all the fish I want. How hard could this be?"
and then most of these people will have disasterous results

mproctor4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/387359/tanked/120#post_3413963
By "keep the tanks fresh" do you mean replace all the dead fish with live ones?
As entertainment it's fine. The format lends itself to looking educational though, which it is not (at least not the episode I saw). I predict a wave of new hobbiests that last about 6 months before everything dies and they quit. If so that will be a temporary boost to business.
How many fish will die in 6 months?
I saw a recent interview with Brett (one of the owners). He stated that many of the techniques for setting up stable, well established tanks were edited out of the show (obviously). He never did explain why it was appropriate to dump massive amounts of fish in a tank at one time, why you never see a single piece of live rock in their tanks, how inappropriately stocked their tanks are, or why it is okay to pick puffers up the way he does.
Mostly I am dissappointed in the Animal Planet for airing this show. They are supposed educate and premote the health and care of animals. Not show irresponsible pet care.

tangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///t/387359/tanked/120#post_3414452
How many fish will die in 6 months?
I saw a recent interview with Brett (one of the owners). He stated that many of the techniques for setting up stable, well established tanks were edited out of the show (obviously). He never did explain why it was appropriate to dump massive amounts of fish in a tank at one time, why you never see a single piece of live rock in their tanks, how inappropriately stocked their tanks are, or why it is okay to pick puffers up the way he does.
Mostly I am dissappointed in the Animal Planet for airing this show. They are supposed educate and premote the health and care of animals. Not show irresponsible pet care.

In TOTAL agreement here.